Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Sounds like an awfully familiar plot:

I'm fine with them recycling that plot, because it was squandered in that terrible issue.

BANNED

It's a Slott filler, and knowing his track record, there's a chance it will be squandered again in a terrible issue

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I'm fine with them recycling that plot, because it was squandered in that terrible issue.
    It was--I do like re-reading the Mackie / Byrne era with a kind of morbid fascination, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    It's a Slott filler, and knowing his track record, there's a chance it will be squandered again in a terrible issue
    I'm in the opposite camp, I tend to find Dan's smaller arcs to be great such as "No One Dies" and #678-#679 time travel story so I'm looking forward to this breather arc before Renew Your Vows.

Astonishing Member

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #17
    AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #17.1
    SPIDER-MAN 2099 #11

Looking forward to those comics.
    Good month for Spidey comics.

Quote Originally Posted by mlazic View Post
    I'm in the opposite camp, I tend to find Dan's smaller arcs to be great such as "No One Dies" and #678-#679 time travel story so I'm looking forward to this breather arc before Renew Your Vows.
    This. I find Slott at his best when theres no pressure on him to deliver an epic story or something over 2 issues.

It sounds like Frank's still a force to be reckoned with, whatever the status of his family in this continuity, and is going to be a big challenge for Gwen to overcome. His still being in the police, though, probably means he's not as violent or prone to kill criminals like the Punisher. Then again, considering that one trigger-happy officer Gwen encountered...

So Miguel will be back in the present, and we might actually get PAD writing Peter/Spidey? Awesome .

If nothing else, it's nice to see Ben Urich getting focus in Spider-Woman .

Spider-Man vs. the Ghost might be fun.

While I have no doubt that Miles will survive whatever happens to the Ultimate Universe, especially considering his popularity, I do have to wonder about what else might survive. Wait, isn't Mysterio still stuck in the Ultimate Universe ?

I'm honestly interested in seeing Silk taking on Black Cat. I thought it'd happen eventually but wasn't expecting it to come this soon. It should be interesting at very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I'm honestly interested in seeing Silk taking on Black Cat. I thought it'd happen eventually but wasn't expecting it to come this soon. It should be interesting at very least.
    Yep. Cos who doesn't want to see a character who became a fan favourite on her own merits reduced to the role of villain of the week for a character that Marvel desperately wants to be a fan favourite, despite offering no real reason why she should be?

Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Yep. Cos who doesn't want to see a character who became a fan favourite on her own merits reduced to the role of villain of the week for a character that Marvel desperately wants to be a fan favourite, despite offering no real reason why she should be?

Me.
    strikes me as an unfair comparison. "fan favourite" just means popular, which is hard enough to measure.

black cat has had 30 years to develop a fan base, silk around about 1.

and i imagine marvel would be "desperate" for any new character to be a fan favourite...isn't that the goal?

BANNED

Silk's had more exposure than Spider-Gwen last year...and guess who's the uber-favourite out of the two?

Silk's had more exposure than Spider-Gwen last year...and guess who's the uber-favourite out of the two?
    mmm. but spider gwen wasn't created in a vacuum. she is riding on the popularity/nostalgia of her 616 counterpart. she still needs to stand on her own eventually, but it's a leg up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    mmm. but spider gwen wasn't created in a vacuum. she is riding on the popularity/nostalgia of her 616 counterpart.
    On one hand, I would say she's riding highly more on Emma Stone's stronger-willed portrayal of Gwen from the movies rather than the emotionally fragile tragic figure of 616, but Spider-Gwen in her own right is a vastly different character distinct from both 616 and the Webb movies. Yes, there is bankilibility on the name she shares with an old character, but her uniqueness and likeability in the writing is what makes her interesting to fans. Silk's had an uphill struggle with that, even in books outside of Slott's influence like Spider-Woman
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 01-20-2015 at 05:56 AM.

On one hand, I would say she's riding highly more on Emma Stone's stronger-willed portrayal of Gwen from the movies rather than the emotionally fragile tragic figure of 616, but Spider-Gwen in her own right is a vastly different character distinct from both 616 and the Webb movies. Yes, there is bankilibility on the name she shares with an old character, but her uniqueness and likeability in the writing is what makes her interesting to fans. Silk's had an uphill struggle with that, even in books outside of Slott's influence like Spider-Woman
    yeah, but if it had been spider-meg the results would have been different. even if she was written exactly the same.

as for silk, i can't really gauge her popularity in real terms. most new characters struggle with that uphill battle. i imagine there must be some demand for her or marvel just enjoy burning money.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i imagine there must be some demand for her or marvel just enjoy burning money.
    There probably is, which is often why so many concerns are brought up about being careful with how they supply for that demand.

That said, imagine how through the roof more people would have been if Gwen had turned out to be "The Bride"