8. Wages of Fear (1953)
    9. My Favorite Year (1982)
    10. Touch of Evil (1958)
    11. Woman in the Dunes (1964)
    12. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
    13. Deep Red (1975)
    14. 28 Days Later (2002)
    15. Session 9 (2001)
    16. Invasion of the Body Snatcher (1956)
    17. Magnolia (1999)
    18. Aguirre the Wrath of God (1972)
    19. Alien (1979)
    20. Halloween (1978)
    21. Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)
    22. Memento (2000)
    23. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
    24. Captains Courageous (1937)
    25. Naked Prey (1966)

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    My top 25 is set in stone and has been for 10 years

1. Citizen Kane (1942)
    2. LA Confidential (1997)
    3. The Thing (1982)
    4. Clue (1985)
    5. Boogie Nights (1997)

6. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
    7. High and Low (1963)
    8. Wages of Fear (1953)
    9. My Favorite Year (1982)
    10. Touch of Evil (1958)
    11. Woman in the Dunes (1964)
    12. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
    13. Deep Red (1975)
    14. 28 Days Later (2002)
    15. Session 9 (2001)
    16. Invasion of the Body Snatcher (1956)
    17. Magnolia (1999)
    18. Aguirre the Wrath of God (1972)
    19. Alien (1979)
    20. Halloween (1978)
    21. Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)
    22. Memento (2000)
    23. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
    24. Captains Courageous (1937)
    25. Naked Prey (1966)
    Clue is a damn fine movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    "TOP 5"
    1. THE LORD OF THE RINGS (2001-2003)
    2. the Silence of the Lambs (1991)
    3. Apocalypse Now! (1979)
    4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
    5. Singin’ in the Rain (1952)

Link to Kieran Frost's "100 Greatest Films"
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...OLcx-65a27.jpg
    Lord of the Rings really shot up that list, it was 59 on the other one. Why number one? I mean, it's kind of interesting I guess, it's not really terrible outside of it's ending, and it was nice to get those while the prequels sucked. But even just within fantasy movies there's better stuff like Army of Darkness, Star Wars, Conan the Barbarian, Dragonslayer, and Excalibur.

It's a shame Peter Jackson jettisoned his old playful style of film making with Lord of the Rings, which would have given those movies a much needed kick in the ass. Also a shame that they seemingly ruined him as a filmmaker, now everything he does is way too long.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

Lord of the rings trilogy as one massive movie is a nice way to squeeze them all onto the list with room to spare! I'm also not a huge LOTR fan but I like them more than Conan, Dragonslayer, and Excalibur (which I didn't even finish). It's funny how wide-ranging all of our tastes are (except for maybe Star Wars and The Thing, which seem to be popping up a lot), like how the OP has Scream 2 on his top five favorite movie list. To me, that's nuts, but to him it was a great time. And I'm sure he'd think the same thing about me having a silent Buster Keaton film on mine. I think it's interesting reading, like simbob4000 asked, the reasons why somebody likes a movie that I don't much care for. It adds a different dynamic to my understanding of how a movie can entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Lord of the Rings really shot up that list, it was 59 on the other one. Why number one? I mean, it's kind of interesting I guess, it's not really terrible outside of it's ending, and it was nice to get those while the prequels sucked. But even just within fantasy movies there's better stuff like Army of Darkness, Star Wars, Conan the Barbarian, Dragonslayer, and Excalibur.
    Ah no, the other list (http://community.comicbookresources....est-Films-quot) is alphabetical. It's a fair way of doing it (plus ranking 100 films is REALLY hard to do). The 10 films in the poll are in order 1st - 10th; the Lord of the Rings has always been number 1.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-21-2015 at 02:51 PM.

BANNED

Ah no, the other list (http://community.comicbookresources....est-Films-quot) is alphabetical. It's a fair way of doing it (plus ranking 100 films is REALLY hard to do). The 10 films in the poll are in order 1st - 10th; the Lord of the Rings has always been number 1.
    Oh, guess I didn't noticed since they're numbered. But why number one? Besides it not even being the best fantasy movie, it's not even the best Peter Jackson movie.

How did you do a top 100 without really ranking them all?

1.) The Thing(1982)
    2.) Escape From New York(1981)
    3.) Mask(1985)
    4.) The Proposition(2005)
    5.) Blade Runner(1982)

1) The Fountain
    2) Terminator 2
    3) The Dark Knight Rises (the culmination to Nolan's awesome movies)
    4) Jurassic Park
    5) The Matrix
    6) The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly
    7) Inception
    8) Fight Club
    9) Mulholland Drive
    10) Blade Runner
    11) The Ring (the best horror film of our generation)
    12) Pan's Labyrinth
    13) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    14) The Shining
    15) Avatar (i know, i know, it was an unbelievable movie experience tho!)
    16) Heat
    17) Jaws
    18) Silence of the Lambs (should be in my top 5)
    19) The Lord of the Rings (amazing technical achievement, the books are better!)
    20) Vertigo/Psycho (Psycho destroyed the old world when it was released in 1960. Things would never be the same)

Its very difficult to root down to your favorites. As we age, and our tastes mature/change, I always like to go back to movies that left me feeling exhausted/or exhilarated

missing are the comedys/animation and straight dramas like One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest

Oh, guess I didn't noticed since they're numbered.
    Even with the numbers, didn't you think it was just an amazing coincidence all the favourite films happen to go in alphabetical order?

But why number one? Besides it not even being the best fantasy movie, it's not even the best Peter Jackson movie.
    Obviously I would disagree on both counts.

How did you do a top 100 without really ranking them all?
    Ranking 1-10 is easy; it's a small number to truly pick apart and battle against one another. 100 is another ball game. You get to 57 vs 58; and deep down you don't really care (where as 7 vs 8 is important). Plus when you are juggling 100 films it becomes vast. How can you rank a black and white film noir against a fantasy animation and truly say which is best; both being brilliant in their own field. I rank 1-10; the rest is just alphabetical; working on the idea they are the 100 Greatest Films I've seen (regardless of order; the fact is there are there, all other films aren't). Hope that makes more sense?

In alphabetical order:

Copperhead
    The Postman
    They Live
    V for Vendetta

Honorable mentions:

Dazed and Confused
    Enter the Dragon
    Higher Learning
    The People vs Larry Flint
    Tombstone
    Up in Smoke
    Last edited by Thanos; 01-22-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    "You address omnipotence. Tread carefully."

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
    In alphabetical order:300
    Awesome movie!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Even with the numbers, didn't you think it was just an amazing coincidence all the favourite films happen to go in alphabetical order?
    I didn't really look at it, I just looked to see where Lord of the Rings was because I remember it being around the middle of that list.

Obviously I would disagree on both counts.
    Well, obviously, they're your favorite movies. But why? What about them do you find so great? They're just kind of ok movies. And the last movie ends terribly, a number of times, for like 35-40 minutes. What about it do you feel makes it better than (the vastly better) Heavenly Creatures, or every other movie that was ever made? Guess I'm just kind of interest because if I were to put together a top 1000 of just the 2000s I'm not really sure any of the The Lord Rings movies would make it in, I know the last definitely wouldn't because of it's ruinous ending.

Ranking 1-10 is easy; it's a small number to truly pick apart and battle against one another. 100 is another ball game. You get to 57 vs 58; and deep down you don't really care (where as 7 vs 8 is important). Plus when you are juggling 100 films it becomes vast. How can you rank a black and white film noir against a fantasy animation and truly say which is best; both being brilliant in their own field. I rank 1-10; the rest is just alphabetical; working on the idea they are the 100 Greatest Films I've seen (regardless of order; the fact is there are there, all other films aren't). Hope that makes more sense?
    Yeah, I've done a top 100 before, combing through a few thousand films to pick out just 100 can be tough. But that wasn't really what I was asking. I was asking more how you make a top 100 when the majority are just movies you put there from the pool of things you've seen without thinking about where they would fall?

BANNED

tough to just pick 5.......

Blade Runner
    The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
    Alien
    Ghostbusters
    Fargo

I didn't really look at it, I just looked to see where Lord of the Rings was because I remember it being around the middle of that list.
    May I encourage (and I say this with love) next time you try to point of "continuity issues" in someone else's list... that MAYBE it would be a good idea to take more than just a cursory glance; since it stands to reason they know their own list better than you.

Well, obviously, they're your favorite movies. But why? What about them do you find so great? They're just kind of ok movies. And the last movie ends terribly, a number of times, for like 35-40 minutes. What about it do you feel makes it better than (the vastly better) Heavenly Creatures, or every other movie that was ever made? Guess I'm just kind of interest because if I were to put together a top 1000 of just the 2000s I'm not really sure any of the The Lord Rings movies would make it in, I know the last definitely wouldn't because of it's ruinous ending.
    I mean it's a personal opinion; and it's clear I'd never sway you on it. For me...
    - I think the score is stunning; my favourite movie score ever written. Every area, every group have their own music (and variations of music within that music, based on their style). A character can instantly be highlighted just by a few chords. It's aurally pleasing on every level; varied, majestic, moving, splicing with lyrics and scoreless singing, while also fitting perfecting into "epic" (the movies genre)
    - which brings me to my next point: it almost defies genre. While the film is first and last "an epic" it is so many things at so many points: a drama, a romance, a comedy, a horror, a thriller, a mystery. Oh how I love it.
    - it's stunning; visually it is just stunning, from costume to cinematography, the set, the scope; brilliant
    - both Sir Ian and Andy Serkis are perfect. Perfection, even. No-one will ever do those roles better, for they have been defined now and forever. Everyone else is excellent or every good. The ONLY "bad" performance (and it's not bad, merely noticably not as good as everyone else) is David Wenham as Faramir (and he's in it so little, it doesn't really matter).
    - the script... it was called "unfilmable", that's how good the script is; managing to not only tell the story while trimming the fat, but also makes bold choices (such as cutting the Scourging of the Shire or Shelob talking). And yet it still maintains the elements of male friendship and the horrors of war (Tolkein's own experiences during WWI are definitely felt in the book; the isolation, the futility, the cruelty).

For me the five biggest elements of a film are: acting, writing, score, visuals and "the x-factor" (this is often directing, but sometimes a good director is unnoticable) and for me the "x factor" is I love high fantasy. So no other film ticks every box so spectacularly (for me).

Yeah, I've done a top 100 before, combing through a few thousand films to pick out just 100 can be tough. But that wasn't really what I was asking. I was asking more how you make a top 100 when the majority are just movies you put there from the pool of things you've seen without thinking about where they would fall?
    I don't think I need to rank them; they are my choice of "100 Greatest Movies". The rank (to me) is immaterial to the overall concept of what I'm doing the list for: which is to say what I think the 100 Great Films are. My list, my rules I'm afraid.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 01-23-2015 at 12:06 PM.

1. Batman (1989)
    2. Back to the Future trilogy
    3. Mortal Kombat
    4. Oceans Eleven
    5. Die Hard
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage