Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Default Will there be a big Marvel generation gap in the future?

With all of the changes that are occurring in the MU, do you think that there is going to be a big split between younger people who aren't attached much to the old continuity and those that are? While we don't know exactly what it's going to be like, it's probably safe to say that the new MU will have alot more elements from the movies and other media like the cartoons. If this is commercially successful and a new generation of comic book readers is brought on (probably through digital subscriptions), I think we might see a major split in the fanbase between "old fogeys" who liked the MU before the cinematic universe really took off and those that came on probably because of the movies and/or the hype of the reboot.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

I think it already exists just for comic books in general. I remember it being in play even when I was a big eyed little child going into an LCS. The adults would jerk me around about making new purchases. There was a huge painting on one wall of the the Mirage Ninja Turtles with the words " Down With Archie " underneath (understand at this time even the Mirage Turtles hadn't been around that long). So if anything I could see a continuation of an already existing divide. Then again the wall goes out of comics into every other medium (music, look at any Youtube comments section especially a cover song) and right out into society itself. " Kids these days ". So yeah I do and really what actually constitutes " the old ". The only definition I actually ever see is that the version of something that was present in the era one came into themselves is which is considered the " true " version of anything, but really no one version actually is.

BANNED

Most certainly. Don't know if that's good or bad, but what I do know is that Marvel is going to make a crapload of $$$ off of both.

BANNED

Eh I'm old as dirt and I don't mind change. But there's gonna be fans who will quit because of this.

I'd say whenever there's a popular form of a comic out there whether it be Movie, TV, game etc. you'll have this.

Echoing SickAlice's post I experienced similar things trying to get into X-men comics post 90s cartoon. I've always felt it was a deep flaw in a lot of LCS.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Even though I'm 23 I'm apparently going to be one of the "old fogeys" when it comes to Marvel comics. But for me personally this whole "is a reboot or not?" thing really only has me worried about certain characters. I'm afraid that a lot of the more recent characters, who are also mostly teenage characters like the Young Avengers, Avengers Academy, X-Men students, etc. are going to get erased.

BANNED

Even Cadbury wants to change it's recipe every now and then.

Things change. *shrug*

It's comic books. Ideas and stories written and illustrated on paper. It really IS as easy as "Don't like it? Don't buy it!"

BANNED

There pretty much already is; kids these days love Iron Man as much if not more than Spider-Man, which is a huge generational shift.

I think it really depends on which characters Marvel chooses to push and why. I could definitely see Black Panther reaching a point in popularity where the character will be treated much better overall by editors, writers & merchandisers.

A Kamala Khan cartoon could completely influence a generation and turn that character into one of the most popular super-heroes regardless of race, gender or religion. Marvel just has to push the character & make it good.

@Star_Jammer: Or put some green coloring in it and resell it in Halloween wrapping much to my ever widening bodies delight. But Creme Eggs for less than a dollar, amiright?

@ Kusanagi: Totally got that with X-Men as well. My introduction to being a full time reader was TAS, the related card sets and Age Of Apocalypse. The guys at the LCS didn't like that at all. They really didn't anything Marvel though so it was a given. Fortunately the grocery store and video game rental place I worked at sold these products as well so I got to avoid them other than when I wanted back issues or a shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    I think it already exists just for comic books in general. I remember it being in play even when I was a big eyed little child going into an LCS. The adults would jerk me around about making new purchases. There was a huge painting on one wall of the the Mirage Ninja Turtles with the words " Down With Archie " underneath (understand at this time even the Mirage Turtles hadn't been around that long). So if anything I could see a continuation of an already existing divide. Then again the wall goes out of comics into every other medium (music, look at any Youtube comments section especially a cover song) and right out into society itself. " Kids these days ". So yeah I do and really what actually constitutes " the old ". The only definition I actually ever see is that the version of something that was present in the era one came into themselves is which is considered the " true " version of anything, but really no one version actually is.
    Well, with fiction, there obviously is no "true" version though there are ones closer to the original version. My only issue on that is when something is supposed to be in the same continuity and is supposed to be the original version such as the Main MU which supposedly is sort of the same continuity all the way back. When it comes to the Ultimate Universe or a complete reboot of the 616 universe, that's different and fine.

But I think there will always be a generation gap. However, it's not always about age. I've seen people on-line who would go on about how the Golden Age Superman is the true version and anything that contradicts it is "wrong". I would have assumed these people were my age (50's) or older only to find out some of them are in their 20's. Then there are older people who don't have a big problem with remakes of the characters that adapt them to the times. Sometimes, it's more about a person's mentality than their age.

There already is a gap.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Even though I'm 23 I'm apparently going to be one of the "old fogeys" when it comes to Marvel comics. But for me personally this whole "is a reboot or not?" thing really only has me worried about certain characters. I'm afraid that a lot of the more recent characters, who are also mostly teenage characters like the Young Avengers, Avengers Academy, X-Men students, etc. are going to get erased.
    I really don't see why people say, things like this. One one will get, erased. Wheb battle world is created that's 616. Making one universe. That's the point of hickmans story. After words well gwt a radical different marvel but the characters will remain as they are, currently. This isn't a reboot
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Heisennerd View Post
    There pretty much already is; kids these days love Iron Man as much if not more than Spider-Man, which is a huge generational shift.

I think it really depends on which characters Marvel chooses to push and why. I could definitely see Black Panther reaching a point in popularity where the character will be treated much better overall by editors, writers & merchandisers.

A Kamala Khan cartoon could completely influence a generation and turn that character into one of the most popular super-heroes regardless of race, gender or religion. Marvel just has to push the character & make it good.
    That's not true based on sales. Spider man is still the lord of marvel written comics by a good margin.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    There already is a gap.
    Indeed. Some of the stuff readers think is cool these days baffles me...

@Powerboy: That sort of reinforces my point. You just defined what you consider to be the " True " and therefore "Right " version of the characters in contrast to what anyone else would consider the " True " version as ordered by their own paradigm. In other words that's how you personally choose to enjoy or not enjoy the craft. It doesn't actually define it nor how another persons preferences lay out. It's in fact only your opinion. And what your then saying is that the current version doesn't match up the old, in other words, the current version isn't the old version so it's not as liked by you. Saying the continuity isn't the now as then is the same thing as that. You see the true version to each individual is defined by the one they came to appreciate, it is different for everyone as I said in my post. What your referring to is the first version.

I didn't actually clarify it was always about age. Not certain where you drew that from. Perhaps the In fact the bit where I pointed out that the previous version of the Turtles hadn't been around for long pretty much suggests I think otherwise. More because I was just giving a quick example in agreement rather than typing a blog about it. You do seem to be on though. Is it possible because I didn't give examples outside of the specific question the OP asked pertaining to the "age " gap you assumed me of a lesser grade of mentality as well and decided to try and educate me? Thank you but I'm already aware there are other factors that dictate a persons tastes in entertainment, I was just trying to focus on the topic at hand. I try to be short or else I just clown around. This isn't a sign that uninformed of something, it's how I choose to post.

I'm more boggled as to why you quoted me and rebuked my post though particularly as I wrote about personal experiences. How would I respond in kind " Your right. I never went into an LCS and got static from the persons there over my selection of comics. It must of been a dream I had. " ? I will ask you this in return though. Are you 100% certain said persons in their twenties (your saying these are children of the nineties) actually " feel " that way though, or are they just echoing what older persons have said to either sound knowledgeable to their perceived peers possibly to avoid having a more abrasive seasoned comic reader lambast them for being " wrong " for liking anything other than an old version of a character. I only ask because I remember lying quite a bit when I was young in that LCS just to avoid much of the scrutiny from the older peoples working there.

Likewise they are only confirming which version of Superman was "first ", not "true " so that sort of makes it irrelevant. The whole original version thing is actually a made up concept, like a social construct it doesn't really exist it's only perpetuated and by those who choose to. Because what the person is really saying is " This ones better because..." or " Mines better/bigger/stronger because...". It's the same tired archaic rhetoric that keeps feuds and wars going. The same as the human race can't live together in harmony with and points do differences in another, but what they're really pointing to is the existence of something else registers as a threat to themselves because it may actually they are not " true ", which is of course actually a construct of the ego. Or at least this my opinion of all that since you broached it.