Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    The movies make Disney Billions. All the comics marvel has sold since day one doesn't equal their box office profit in 5 years. MCU calls the shots end-of-story.
    Even back in the days of the Hulk television show in the 1970's, they adapted Banner to be more like the television version which was sort of a good thing because Banner actually became an important character instead of appearing for two panels every few issues and then becoming the Hulk again. Even then, the editorial justification, in response to people writing in and admonishing them for altering the character to match a show that would last a few years while the comics would last decades, was basically that, yes, the show will only last a few years but the number of people who watched just the pilot movie was greater than the number of people who had bought the comic since it began about 15 years earlier at that time so making it more like the show, even temporarily, was pulling in far more readers.

BANNED

i really hope this isn't influenced by the movies. it would be annoying to have the inhumans steal the mutants spotlight just because marvel doesn;t have the rights. also, why bring the ultimate universe into this? if the ultimate universe is gonna be destroyed(which i doubt it is) why bring this in? can't we have a self contained spiderman story in the ultimate universe. i wasn't all that whelmed when catyclysm was tied to miles reveal to his father but at least the execution and pay off was satisfying. plus what about venom or doctor strange? non of those even got resolved. who was that man who took doctor strange's body? years and we still haven't had a clue. if this is all BS to what the guys are saying then this year would likely be the death of comics again

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    A movie line would also allow them to totally mess with Sony and Fox if they wanted because they could tie in the FF, X-men and Spidy and just not include their story strands in the Movies themselves.
    Actually they've said in the past there's good reasons not to do the movie line. Namely, the movies only come out a few times a year and chances are the filmmakers aren't going to be beholden to something published in a spin-off comic they had no involvement in, which is going to lead to the films contradicting them anyway.

They tried this before with comics and games set in the X-Men movieverse and they kept getting booted out of canon by the subsequent movies.

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    i really hope this isn't influenced by the movies. it would be annoying to have the inhumans steal the mutants spotlight just because marvel doesn;t have the rights. also, why bring the ultimate universe into this? if the ultimate universe is gonna be destroyed(which i doubt it is) why bring this in? can't we have a self contained spiderman story in the ultimate universe. i wasn't all that whelmed when catyclysm was tied to miles reveal to his father but at least the execution and pay off was satisfying. plus what about venom or doctor strange? non of those even got resolved. who was that man who took doctor strange's body? years and we still haven't had a clue. if this is all BS to what the guys are saying then this year would likely be the death of comics again
    I can't imagine there were too many readers waiting to see follow-up on stuff that happened in Ultimatum.

It's pretty obvious that they are but that's not a bad thing. In a way, the marvel u quietly reboots itself every ten years or so in order to reflect the newest generation of readers. The movies just happen to be at the forefront of the reboot this time

Whatever, dude...

its too overt to deny...I mean Toro is inhuman? C'mon!

its just all laid out too thick..except if your the Nova Corps that is

This marvel staff are the worst at misdirection ever...

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Actually they've said in the past there's good reasons not to do the movie line. Namely, the movies only come out a few times a year and chances are the filmmakers aren't going to be beholden to something published in a spin-off comic they had no involvement in, which is going to lead to the films contradicting them anyway.

They tried this before with comics and games set in the X-Men movieverse and they kept getting booted out of canon by the subsequent movies.
    They only need do a few high profile minis a year, isn't there somthing in solicits about a movie tie in? They could do bookends for every movie and it would be more than the current UU.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

JK is right, Marvel already release movie 'prequels' anyway. Marvel have already confirmed 2 more movie prequel TPBs are being released this year (Age of Ultron & Ant-Man). In fact, Marvel has been releasing movie tie-ins since 2008, so I doubt that the comic universe will be replaced with the movieverse any time soon.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    They only need do a few high profile minis a year, isn't there somthing in solicits about a movie tie in? They could do bookends for every movie and it would be more than the current UU.
    Yeah that's the point though. They can keep continuity because it's only a few one-off minis a year. The person I was responding to was suggesting outright replacing the comics with a line of books specifically in the MCU and that's simply unfeasible unless you're specifically talking mini-series.

Yeah that's the point though. They can keep continuity because it's only a few one-off minis a year. The person I was responding to was suggesting outright replacing the comics with a line of books specifically in the MCU and that's simply unfeasible unless you're specifically talking mini-series.
    Even better would be tie-in prose novels like those we've had for Star Wars, Buffy, Doctor Who, etc. over the years. They'd have to be careful about canonicity and spoilers, to be sure, but that's always been the case with such things, and you're talking a slower and less frequent release schedule to keep track of.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Even better would be tie-in prose novels like those we've had for Star Wars, Buffy, Doctor Who, etc. over the years. They'd have to be careful about canonicity and spoilers, to be sure, but that's always been the case with such things, and you're talking a slower and less frequent release schedule to keep track of.
    Oh that would be awesome. That's a really cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah, sure there isn't.

-Bringing "Black" Nick Fury and Coulson into the 616 universe in the most ludicriously ham-fistedly way possible.
    -Avengers Assemble has the original movie team, plus Falcon who played a big role in another movie, but no one else. Also, they're costumes and designs all are movie inspired. And they're using Thanos as the big bad this season.
    -Conveniently "revealing" that Magneto apparently isn't the Twins father just months before their big movie comes out, where the Twins are present and they cannot use Magneto due to rights issues.
    -Bringing back Cassie Lang just in time for her to appear in the upcoming Ant Man movie.
    -Pushing the Inhumans and GOTG to the forefront just as their movies are either coming out or upcoming. Also, they're seemingly doing the Nu-humans concept on Agents of SHIELD.
    -Speaking of which, and Agents of SHIELD book with the TV show team.
    -And so on.
    Pretty much.

Oh that would be awesome. That's a really cool idea.
    I'm actually a big fan of superhero prose, going back to the original run of Wild Cards novels and some of the better Marvel licensed novels of years past, like The Great Gold Steal or The Man Who Stole Tomorrow.

A great recent find at the library, although not licensed from a comic book property or featuring superpowers... Tigerman by Nick Harkaway. Famous victory and full of win.