Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I'm not annoyed that they're changing things because of the movies. Some changes I like, the prominence of the Guardians and the Inhumans being pushed into the forefront. Black Panther getting a movie means that he won't be benched or killed off anytime soon, which is nice. At this point, I just wish they'd be honest admit it, instead of telling us that we're being stupid and paranoid for thinking otherwise with all that corporate double talk.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

They should just scrap the Ultimate universe and make a movie comic universe to serve audiences who want to see a exact comic universe of the movies. Tying to half ass mix & match elements of the films in the comics will just make things unnecessarily convoluted.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 01-20-2015 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    The editorializing of the article claims something that Buckley didn't say.

What the article says is that Buckley claimed Marvel isn't making an effort toward corporate synergy. What he's actually quoted as saying is that there is no intention to align continuity between the comics and films -- which anyone could have told you. Obviously they're not planning to make the comics a monthly journey into the same universe/continuity as the films.

That does not, however, mean an attempt is not being made to get the two to resemble one another -- a.k.a. corporate synergy. Which you're going to find anywhere Disney has a stake, because they're the undisputed masters of corporate synergy.

Buckley's words were carefully chosen.
    Yeah the worlds are not going to be come one but the comic world is sure as hell going to be really similar to the movie one.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Yeah, sure there isn't.

-Bringing "Black" Nick Fury and Coulson into the 616 universe in the most ludicriously ham-fistedly way possible.
    -Avengers Assemble has the original movie team, plus Falcon who played a big role in another movie, but no one else. Also, they're costumes and designs all are movie inspired. And they're using Thanos as the big bad this season.
    -Conveniently "revealing" that Magneto apparently isn't the Twins father just months before their big movie comes out, where the Twins are present and they cannot use Magneto due to rights issues.
    -Bringing back Cassie Lang just in time for her to appear in the upcoming Ant Man movie.
    -Pushing the Inhumans and GOTG to the forefront just as their movies are either coming out or upcoming. Also, they're seemingly doing the Nu-humans concept on Agents of SHIELD.
    -Speaking of which, and Agents of SHIELD book with the TV show team.
    -And so on.
    This goes all the way back to Iron Man. He suddenly got an Arc Reactor, Pepp and Stark suddenly are messing with each other just a few months (comic time?) after Happy Hogan died. Iron Man was turned into the movie version.

This is clear as day for any person that reads comics.

Extraordinary Member

I don't see much links between the two. Both should progress on their own terms.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I don't see much links between the two. Both should progress on their own terms.
    For the most part they do, even though readers would have you believe otherwise. I'm not going to pretend as if there isn't some mirroring, but the bulk of Marvel's output isn't much like what's going on in the MCU.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    They should just scrap the Ultimate universe and make a movie comic universe to serve audiences who want to see a exact comic universe of the movies. Tying to half ass mix & match elements of the films in the comics will just make things unnecessarily convoluted.
    I agree with this for the most part. It seems like the perfect middle path to ease in new readers. I do think a little bit of movie influence isn't a bad thing, though. Just not so much that it sacrifices characterizations and developments that are crucial to how existing readers relate to their line.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I just wish Marvel would mimic their movies in the sense that they're entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Guest_1001 View Post
    In spite of the title, most of Buckley's statement seemed to be, "yes, we take a ton of stuff from the MCU ... but we can't change everything because that would be ridiculous and take too much effort".
    Or just a new version of SECRET WARS....

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I agree with this for the most part. It seems like the perfect middle path to ease in new readers. I do think a little bit of movie influence isn't a bad thing, though. Just not so much that it sacrifices characterizations and developments that are crucial to how existing readers relate to their line.
    As my comment at the top suggests I think they will have a move line. They have just scrapped Ultimate anyway so why not.

A movie line would also allow them to totally mess with Sony and Fox if they wanted because they could tie in the FF, X-men and Spidy and just not include their story strands in the Movies themselves.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The suits that make Marvel movies are not going to be beholden to some part time writer who pens comic books. Of course the MCU and the MU aren't going to share a continuity.

You can only do that if you have something like the Story Team from Lucas Film. You need a centralized body that approves every single story that comes down the pike. Marvel will never have that.

I would be shocked if they ever admitted that it was.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I watch what Marvel does now, not what they say.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

The movies make Disney Billions. All the comics marvel has sold since day one doesn't equal their box office profit in 5 years. MCU calls the shots end-of-story.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Is Buckley for real!?

Just admit it, dude. No one can fault you for it. But denying it is absurd at this point.