Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    I personally don't like it because it's:

1) An excuse to not use my first name, despite me allowing people to use nicknames to make it easier.

2) I know who originally had my last name as their first name: my ancestor, born many centuries ago. I'm neither him nor a reincarnation as far as I can tell.
    Good point! I agree with second one
    I hate it because most people pronounce my name wrong (accent) so sometimes It's good surname

It's only happened to me a couple times. For a couple semesters in college, there was a guy in some of my film classes who always called me by my last name. I remember thinking it was a little strange at first, but I got used to it. More recently, a friend moved awhile back and has since become friends with another Michael, so has taken to calling us by our last names in order to differentiate.

I don't really see how it could be considered disrespectful. Personally, I was always more annoyed when people called me Mike instead of Michael. For some unexplainable reason, that always bugged me. The only people I gave a pass to calling me that was my parents and grandparents.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

I get called by my fathers name, or my family name.
    I like this habit, it's fun sometimes.
    When someone has a very common name (like 60 of that name in on neighborhood) it's easier to call some of them by their father names or surnames.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

It used to bother me, but I now work in a place where I supervise adolescents who are instructed to refer to the staff as Mr., Miss or Mrs. and the last name of the staff member. So management instructs us to refer to each other by our surnames and not our first names, so as to get into the habit, especially when the kids overhear us. There is one co-worker who everyone knows by his first name; he's worked there awhile, so I just assume that the policy was different when he started.

All that said, while it used to bother me a bit to get called by my surname, even by people who know my first name, I've grown used to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    I've noticed that some people really hate being called by their surname.

It doesn't bother me. If a friend or acquaintance comes up and says hello "surname," then I don't care. But I know some people who really hate it. They take it as a mark of utter disrespect and it makes them really angry. I've had colleagues at work try and have me disciplined over it, even though they are no higher on the totem pole than I am.

Does it bother you, or anyone you know?
    Doesn't bother me at all. Without title (Mr., Ms., Dr., etc) it is either extremely informal or extremely impersonal, either someone you know well and consider a friend or someone you hardly know at all and talk about with a third party. I use it all the time, particularly for people who have very common first names. (To note, I'm an adult American woman, Southern by birth and raising currently living in New England, who uses it in company of a variety of ages and genders.)

However, this seems like a VERY culturally dependent question, and so I'm not particularly surprised at the variety of responses in an international forum, though I am a little surprised by the hostility it seems to elicit from some.

Currently MagSeven

My friends and most of my guy acquaintances have called each other by our last names for as long as I can remember. Never crossed my mind that it was considered as a sign of disrespect by anyone. The only times first names are usually used is when they are siblings within the group. And even then we may have called the younger sibling "Little Smith". I guess I just call people what they introduce themselves to me or what their friends call them.

007 girl.

Depends who's calling it. When I'm pissed at certain friends, I call them by their surnames. When I'm even more pissed I call them worse. My dealer likes it. I call him variations of 4-letter words all the time.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I was enlisted in the Navy, where surnames are expected. So I've really gotten used to it over the years.

I'm more bothered by strangers using my first name, actually.

õ
    If only because that happens a lot more often!

I sure do. It just comes across very condescending and uppity to me. Plus, I'd rather people not know my last name for safety reasons.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

BANNED

My first name is Jay. My last name is Jewish. Unless you're really good with names you won't pronounce it right.

And if you say my last name it better be in a professional way or making it clear that it's a joke,humor etc. Other wise you got me in a bad mood and I will be self defensive. I'm not in school or corporate world so not many reasons why I should be called by my last name when I have a first.

Because my last name is Jewish it gets made fun of and poked at.
    Last edited by needler420; 01-22-2015 at 05:52 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Hey, you can call me anything but late for dinner.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Hey, you can call me anything but late for dinner.
    This is funnier than the movie.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

It's pretty common practice between me and my friends. It's a bit of a necessity because I (we) know 10 Chris'/Christopher's and 10+ Mikes/Michael's. I'm the only Jordan in my circle though and I get the same treatment. Really doesn't bother me, in fact I find it a little endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    My first name is Jay. My last name is Jewish. Unless you're really good with names you won't pronounce it right.

And if you say my last name it better be in a professional way or making it clear that it's a joke,humor etc. Other wise you got me in a bad mood and I will be self defensive. I'm not in school or corporate world so not many reasons why I should be called by my last name when I have a first.

Because my last name is Jewish it gets made fun of and poked at.
    So your name is Jay Jewish? No wonder you get made fun of.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Some of the things people get offended by just make me laugh and shake my head.