View Poll Results: Do you generally like animation?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, for the most part.

19 79.17%
  • Not really so much...

5 20.83%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I've always loved animation and I think I always will. There's the classic animated films like Disney that just bring so much nostalgia and enjoyment back for me, and then there's the stunningly beautiful animated works like Princess Mononoke that prove that animation can be absolutely breathtaking.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    Sorry for being rude....
    It's cool. You weren't being rude. I was just pointing out that I wasn't talking about any drawn story, just most animation. It's cool that you do, or anyone does. I kinda expected to be in the minority here. This isn't any kinda attempt to bash animation, there are a couple things I've seen in my life and dug well enough but for the most part, I don't dig it. To be clear, I don't even like those pixar movies.

There are some “all ages” films I enjoy (I loved Salò!!!!). I do have love for all the Star Wars movies to some degree or another... I'm sure there are other things that aren't coming to mind right now and it's not really the point. I figured I'd be in a minority with my animation opinion but I just kinda wanted to see what the rough ratio between comic book readers who generally like and dislike animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Just because you've happened to only watch cartoons aimed at kids, doesn't (by default) mean all animation is only for kids. The fact you don't know of them, or haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't famous, beloved, popular or "don't count."
    Not all animation is for kids but most of it is or for the whole family. I watched Archer, BoJack Horseman and Moral Orel last year and I enjoyed them (Archer's 5th season not so much. Also funny how they changed Moral Orel into a drama for its 3rd season, it got cancelled because of it).

If other mediums have many various content of different genres for older consumers, why shouldn't animation have it too?

I think you're possibly mixing up what is "for kids" and what is "for everyone" (which happens to include kids). Being family friendly doesn't mean it's "for kids"; it just means everyone can enjoy it. Also Vampire Hunter D and Hellsing are rated a 15, Cowboy BeBop is rated 12... so those are categorically "not for kids".
    I was specifically talking about western animation. You rarely get those type of series (action/drama) aimed at older demographic in the west.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 01-22-2015 at 06:23 AM.
    BB

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Well I've enjoyed animated films a lot less with the onset of CGI animated movies, the characters and worlds are largely unappealing to me. I'm a cell animation kind of gal outside of Shrek & Puss in Boots. I pretty much ignore them now unless something looks really good. I utterly loathe the cheapie C.G.I. style for the Star Wars cartoons; I wish Disney would use the cell animation format for at least one of those in the future.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Probably because it's still a children's medium.
    Speaking of western animation, yes they still are.
    Not all animation is for kids but most of it is or for the whole family.
    Keep moving those goalposts.

The third one is enough.
    BB

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Except that's barely true, and completely negates your first claim.

Usually, it's just better to admit you said something appallingly stupid and move on rather than trying to justify it.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I would but how is it not true that western animation is mostly for kids/the whole family and satire/sitcoms for adults?
    BB

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

I believe I said it WAS true, just barely. You finally added enough qualifiers to make it true.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I heard someone say that Pixar films aren't kid's films they are merely adult films that are okay for kids to watch.
    The Incredibles for example is about a guy having a midlife crisis.
    Finding Nemo is about a parent learning to let go. Sure visually they look targeted at kids but their themes all seem to deal with adult concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I heard someone say that Pixar films aren't kid's films they are merely adult films that are okay for kids to watch.
    The Incredibles for example is about a guy having a midlife crisis.
    Finding Nemo is about a parent learning to let go. Sure visually they look targeted at kids but their themes all seem to deal with adult concerns.
    That's very true, Up (2009) also about age and loss. Most "for kids" films have young protagonists.

I love animation. I find that it has more freedom than live action. The creators rarely have to worry about things like special effects, unless they are just bad at animation.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Man, I love it. I often prefer animated films to live action.

It's kind of weird to see this put this way on a comic book message board. It's basically saying "I love pictures, but I hate when they move."