Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default Alonso, Brevoort Discuss Universe-Melding "Secret Wars," Address the Reboot Question

Marvel's Axel Alonso and Tom Brevoort provide further details on what the combination of the Marvel Universe and Ultimate Universe means to readers.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

So, reboot time. Good bye mutants.

BANNED

There's no reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordonstar View Post
    There's no reboot.
    That's what it sounds like to me. Marvel history isn't broken? That's questionable, considering sliding time scales are fudging history on a continual basis, so if that isn't Marvel history broken, what is?

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

So it sounds like some books will be replaced (either temporarily or otherwise) with focuses on the Alternate Universes, certainly sounds like ASM will be where we have Renew Your Vows, and the X-Men books might focus on the umpteen alternate universes there. Maybe GOTG and Nova will have Infinity Gauntlet?

Spectacular Member DuskHarlekin's Avatar

As long as Hickman, Spencer and Waid are writing books during and after Secret Wars I have no reason to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by DuskHarlekin View Post
    As long as Hickman, Spencer and Waid are writing books during and after Secret Wars I have no reason to worry.
    Hickman is leaving Marvel after Secret Wars to focus on his own projects.
    On ye olde CBR

Ugh. I will certainly give this a try, but really? I read these stories for the characters, and the only thing more corrosive to character integrity and development than time travel is alternate universes.

Oh dear...

Spectacular Member DuskHarlekin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    Hopefully he wont stay gone for long. Do something to recharge his batteries then comes on back better than ever.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    There is the best news of the announcement.

Maybe we can get someone on the books who actually cares about characterization and not just mega-plots.

wishlish

I've read enough good Hickman books to trust that this is going to be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    So it sounds like some books will be replaced (either temporarily or otherwise) with focuses on the Alternate Universes, certainly sounds like ASM will be where we have Renew Your Vows, and the X-Men books might focus on the umpteen alternate universes there. Maybe GOTG and Nova will have Infinity Gauntlet?
    Please, please, please, please, please have Soule and McNiven be working on Old Man Logan during Secret Wars. Assuming Uncanny Inhumans goes on hiatus during this, they would be the ideal creative team for an OML project IMO.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    So, reboot time. Good bye mutants.
    They are not getting rid of mutants!!! Uncanny and All-New sell too well. Despite all the paranoia, Marvel is a business and a businesses likes profit. I see two things that could happen:

1) They will streamline the X-Titles to 4-5 titles (including individual character titles) as opposed to 10+ titles. I'm OK with that. The franchise is currently in need of being streamlined.
    2) They can incorporate the Ultimate version of the origin of mutant kind and thus sidestep some of the licensing woes with FOX. What characters can Fox use and what characters can Marvel Studios use, that sort of thing... I have just learned to accept movie synergy and move on.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by wishlish View Post
    I've read enough good Hickman books to trust that this is going to be a lot of fun.
    Yeah, this is going to be either really fun...or confusing as all hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Leaving my own feelings on this as a reader and critic aside, I feel for direct market small business owners with this. Marvel is putting them in a spot where they may have to make some incredibly risk ordering decisions at a time of year when those that are able are trying to solidify their business plans for the coming year. I mean, I wasn't and haven't been a fan of the New 52, but at least the conceit was there and it was made clear that the look and the titles would be the same. Support your LCS if you have one folks.
    I agree, this is going to be weird. I guess we'll all need to get the Secret Wars book, but other than that, it's going to get bloody.