Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    wishlish

I've read enough good Hickman books to trust that this is going to be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Why does everyone keep calling it a reboot? It's not. Reboot comes with reworking or completely redoing characters backstories, there is absolutely no indication this is happening, it seems like all characters are keeping their histories intact, it's just that some alternate universe characters will be joining the main universe. There may be a reLAUNCH after Secret Wars is done, but that's not the same as a reboot.
    If they start merging or replacing characters with alt-universe versions that have different pasts, the distinction between this and a reboot becomes fairly meaningless.

Regardless of Hickman's story, it's the way we are sold what comes next as a direct consequence of the story only when we know why some things will happen. It's the patronising way we are told this stuff that bothers me.

God forbid we see through them and figure out that some things happen from a purely business stand point. Whether it's profit or rights disputes etc.

cherry picking parts of universes and pasts of characters where some change and some don't is the same as crisis and flashpoint so if this isn't a reboot they weren't either

The difference is that in Flashpint some characters had histories that were VERY SIMILAR to what came before, (Batman, Green Lantern, mostly) but they weren't the SAME. There were some differences, often fairly big ones, once things began to be revealed. once you make it so that no superhero had appeared more than 5 years prior, no matter how superficially similar some aspects of a character may be, they can't possibly be the exact same version. That is not the case here. Every character participating can keep the entirety of their past 100% intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    If they start merging or replacing characters with alt-universe versions that have different pasts, the distinction between this and a reboot becomes fairly meaningless.
    But there has been no mention at all of 'merging' characters. Just... Secret Wars, everyone fights (presumably, Battleworld and all) and then the victors are the characters in the main MU going forward. I somehow doubt that the majority of characters afterward won't be the 616 versions, it's just a way to fold in some of the more well liked alternate universe characters, like probably Miles Morales, but Peter Parker will most likely still be around as well.
    Last edited by Raye; 01-20-2015 at 03:31 PM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Why does everyone keep calling it a reboot? It's not. Reboot comes with reworking or completely redoing characters backstories, there is absolutely no indication this is happening, it seems like all characters are keeping their histories intact, it's just that some alternate universe characters will be joining the main universe. There may be a reLAUNCH after Secret Wars is done, but that's not the same as a reboot.
    Exactly thats, what I said in some other topics
    X-Men Forever

Why does everyone keep calling it a reboot? It's not.
    Its not necessarily a reboot in classic comic book terms but Marvel never makes anything "classic." They've been a flagship for experimentation and for many years continuity. As certain comic title sales have diminished, they tried to change characters to appeal to the masses with about a 50% success rate. To me, this is another experiment in comics which will slog down the entire industry with a lackluster story and enough sales to boost another event. It may not be a reboot, but its definitely a "HEY GUYS, HERE ARE SOME NEW NUMBER ONES, YOU LOVE NUMBER ONES" which usually smells a lot like a reboot so I understand why people are using the term.

Reboot comes with reworking or completely redoing characters backstories, there is absolutely no indication this is happening, it seems like all characters are keeping their histories intact, it's just that some alternate universe characters will be joining the main universe. There may be a reLAUNCH after Secret Wars is done, but that's not the same as a reboot.
    If a reboot is when Marvel redoes character backstories and/or reworks characters, then Marvel has been doing it for years! Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are no longer children of Magneto, a Muslim Ms. Marvel, Daredevil is now decently happy, Hawkeye is the lazy Avenger, Scott Summers is now a jerk and Wolverine and Uatu are dead. (Not all of these "reboots" are bad, but you get the gist of what I am saying; Marvel Universe is like quicksand, its always changing.)

My big misgiving here is we already went through this with the Ultimate Universe...so I'm not sure how up I am to see everything started from scratch.

Spider is an issue IMO...we've seen at least 4 takes on his origin in a major way (Original, Ultimate, Raimi Film, Recent FIlm) and also Miles Morales...re hashing the origin and reboot seems played out with marvel's biggest commodity

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Batman View Post
    Its not necessarily a reboot in classic comic book terms but Marvel never makes anything "classic." They've been a flagship for experimentation and for many years continuity. As certain comic title sales have diminished, they tried to change characters to appeal to the masses with about a 50% success rate. To me, this is another experiment in comics which will slog down the entire industry with a lackluster story and enough sales to boost another event. It may not be a reboot, but its definitely a "HEY GUYS, HERE ARE SOME NEW NUMBER ONES, YOU LOVE NUMBER ONES" which usually smells a lot like a reboot so I understand why people are using the term.

If a reboot is when Marvel redoes character backstories and/or reworks characters, then Marvel has been doing it for years! Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are no longer children of Magneto, a Muslim Ms. Marvel, Daredevil is now decently happy, Hawkeye is the lazy Avenger, Scott Summers is now a jerk and Wolverine and Uatu are dead. (Not all of these "reboots" are bad, but you get the gist of what I am saying; Marvel Universe is like quicksand, its always changing.)
    Daredevil is too happy for me.I hope this changes him back.I also hope ultimate Hawkeye replaces 616 Hawkeye.

Leaving my own feelings on this as a reader and critic aside, I feel for direct market small business owners with this. Marvel is putting them in a spot where they may have to make some incredibly risk ordering decisions at a time of year when those that are able are trying to solidify their business plans for the coming year. I mean, I wasn't and haven't been a fan of the New 52, but at least the conceit was there and it was made clear that the look and the titles would be the same. Support your LCS if you have one folks.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teste View Post
    So, reboot time. Good bye mutants.
    They are not getting rid of mutants!!! Uncanny and All-New sell too well. Despite all the paranoia, Marvel is a business and a businesses likes profit. I see two things that could happen:

1) They will streamline the X-Titles to 4-5 titles (including individual character titles) as opposed to 10+ titles. I'm OK with that. The franchise is currently in need of being streamlined.
    2) They can incorporate the Ultimate version of the origin of mutant kind and thus sidestep some of the licensing woes with FOX. What characters can Fox use and what characters can Marvel Studios use, that sort of thing... I have just learned to accept movie synergy and move on.

Mighty Member

Daredevil is getting a change of direction which will be more in line with the upcoming Netflix TV show. It is inevitable. I also predict the return of Karen Page post-Secret Wars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by wishlish View Post
    I've read enough good Hickman books to trust that this is going to be a lot of fun.
    Yeah, this is going to be either really fun...or confusing as all hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Jon View Post
    Leaving my own feelings on this as a reader and critic aside, I feel for direct market small business owners with this. Marvel is putting them in a spot where they may have to make some incredibly risk ordering decisions at a time of year when those that are able are trying to solidify their business plans for the coming year. I mean, I wasn't and haven't been a fan of the New 52, but at least the conceit was there and it was made clear that the look and the titles would be the same. Support your LCS if you have one folks.
    I agree, this is going to be weird. I guess we'll all need to get the Secret Wars book, but other than that, it's going to get bloody.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    They can incorporate the Ultimate version of the origin of mutant kind and thus sidestep some of the licensing woes with FOX. What characters can Fox use and what characters can Marvel Studios use, that sort of thing... I have just learned to accept movie synergy and move on.
    That's not going to happen. And even if obscure mutants like beautiful dreamer aren't listed in name on the contract that's still not going to happen. Marvel aren't crap back.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Batman View Post
    a Muslim Ms. Marvel,
    Yeaaaaaah, about that, heh heh...

The original Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers is still around and kicking except now as Captain Marvel. That was not a reboot, this is a passing* on the mantle. Kamala Khan isn't Carol Danvers, nor will she ever be.

*More of a "taking the mantle without her permission, but you get the idea.