Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Whatever way they do it sods law dictates if I try to save money by waiting, the ones I want will all be in different tpbs and thus more expensive than buying individual issues, and if I opt for the issues then all my stories will appear in 1 or 2 tpbs and thus 1/2 the price I paid, darn it.

All-New Member

who what when where why!!!! NO!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

LET'S FORM DCTRON!

Earth-1 and Earth-2, form feet and legs!

Earth-0 and Earth-5, form arms and torso!

And we on Earth-33 will form...the head!

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    LET'S FORM DCTRON!

Earth-1 and Earth-2, form feet and legs!

Earth-0 and Earth-5, form arms and torso!

And we on Earth-33 will form...the head!

LOL, yep, pretty much. I wasn't around for most of these older Earths/Times so all this equals for me is mass confusion. They created the New 52 to make it more appealing to the new readers and then they throw all this in the mix again. March is the jumping off point for me for buying Monthly comics. I was looking for a good spot anyway and this is perfect. I'm moving to all trades starting in April. And for those of you who say 'vote with your wallet to keep your favorite titles', most of the titles I like that have good sales end up getting cancelled anyway, like Hawkeye, because the writer is done with it. And even if a good title gets cancelled there are plenty of other good titles out there that I can buy. And trade waiting means saving money since they are much cheaper. And I can buy/read things when I want, no more being a slave to the solicits. It was a hard addiction to break but I think I am finally going to be able to do it. Free!!! FREEEE!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    LOL, yep, pretty much. I wasn't around for most of these older Earths/Times so all this equals for me is mass confusion. They created the New 52 to make it more appealing to the new readers and then they throw all this in the mix again. March is the jumping off point for me for buying Monthly comics. I was looking for a good spot anyway and this is perfect. I'm moving to all trades starting in April. And for those of you who say 'vote with your wallet to keep your favorite titles', most of the titles I like that have good sales end up getting cancelled anyway, like Hawkeye, because the writer is done with it. And even if a good title gets cancelled there are plenty of other good titles out there that I can buy. And trade waiting means saving money since they are much cheaper. And I can buy/read things when I want, no more being a slave to the solicits. It was a hard addiction to break but I think I am finally going to be able to do it. Free!!! FREEEE!!!
    It's just for two months. Really. You can't just give them two months to do something that doesn't appeal to you and then jump back on board after it's over?

trades are a lot cheaper, do what's best for your wallet

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    It's just for two months. Really. You can't just give them two months to do something that doesn't appeal to you and then jump back on board after it's over?
    It's not because of Convergence that I am stopping. I was just looking for a good jumping off point. And this is a good one. Just because all the current storylines are wrapping up in March and starting new in June. So I'm guessing the trade cutoff will be March and start up in June for the next trade. It's just a good spot to switch from monthlies to trades.
    Last edited by daningotham; 02-25-2015 at 06:40 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It's not because of Convergence that I am stopping. I was just looking for a good jumping off point.
    I've never undestood "jumping on/off" points. I just come and go as I please, and if I miss something good, I backtrack it later. I don't understand the self-regimented approach that many people take to reading/buying comics.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Fantastic Member

I was just looking for a good jumping off point. And this is a good one. Just because all the current storylines are wrapping up in March ... so I'm guessing the trade cutoff will be March and start up in June for the next trade. It's just a good spot to switch from monthlies to trades.
    and with DC tpbing everything you're not going to miss out on anything either Are you gonna keep an eye out for any special events like those 3D cover issues and variant covers.

Fantastic Member

I might check out the Batgirl title due to Cassandra Cain being my favorite heroine, but that's about it. I can no longer stand massive companywide events.

I'm tired of the retcons. I'm tired of the resets. I'm just tired of following and enjoying characters for a few years only to have them suddenly be changed in ways that no longer resemble what preceded it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I've never undestood "jumping on/off" points. I just come and go as I please, and if I miss something good, I backtrack it later. I don't understand the self-regimented approach that many people take to reading/buying comics.

I agree, whenever I tire of a book, I don't wait for a moment to stop reading it. I just stop buying mid story, done done and done. And if I have heard good things about an existing title, I just start buying it wherever it is. Maybe because I'm an older reader, where in the 70s and early 80s there were constant reboots floating around and this is how u had to do it (plus less hang ups about not know every single thing going on in the book).

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    I agree, whenever I tire of a book, I don't wait for a moment to stop reading it. I just stop buying mid story, done done and done
    This isn't about tiring of a book. It's about wanting to switch from floppies to trades and tactically choosing the point to do it so that you minimise the risk of having to either buy the same content twice or miss a couple of issues because wherever you stopped doesn't match with where the TPBs split. Makes sense to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    This isn't about tiring of a book. It's about wanting to switch from floppies to trades and tactically choosing the point to do it so that you minimise the risk of having to either buy the same content twice or miss a couple of issues because wherever you stopped doesn't match with where the TPBs split. Makes sense to me.
    Yeah, sounds like the poster used the term "jumping off" or "jumping ship" which is usually used to mean stopping buying comics (from a company at least) altogether. I think the distinction of switching to trades was lost in this case.

BANNED

My response was to Buried Allen, who I quoted.

Spectacular Member superiorcrisis's Avatar

Daninggotham should do whatever works for him, obviously. But he could stop whenever, and simply use back issues for whatever he misses, as I've done with a few series (of course, you run the risk of an issue not being in the back issue bins, like has happened to me a few times).
    What I'm buying: Justice League, Batman, Amazing Spider-Man and a bunch of back issues.

What I'm reading: Ultimate Spider-Man (2000)

Don't tell Willie

"Y'all." - Kevin Malone