Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    This is actually a really good point.

For my own part, I grew up on '90s Spider-Man, both the comic and especially the cartoon where Peter and MJ are romantically linked, and I've seen Raimi's Spider-Man films where Peter and MJ are a thing, so it only makes sense to me.

But what about the entire generation of comic book readers who have only had to put up with the B.S. that is post-OMD Spider-Man and have only seen the Amazing Spider-Man films where Peter and Gwen are together...?

I can understand that crowd not being fans of this move.
    gwen will never be peter love interest in the main continuity, she is dead on both movies and comics

For my own part, I grew up on '90s Spider-Man, both the comic and especially the cartoon where Peter and MJ are romantically linked, and I've seen Raimi's Spider-Man films where Peter and MJ are a thing, so it only makes sense to me.

But what about the entire generation of comic book readers who have only had to put up with the B.S. that is post-OMD Spider-Man and have only seen the Amazing Spider-Man films where Peter and Gwen are together...?

For me, I think it's sad that newer fans haven't been able to experience it. For me, it was just so awesome, every issue, it was was interesting, fun, and/or dramatic. If they bring it back, I hope they do so at the same level it was before and do it justice, no Disney sugar coating. Do the good, bad, and ugly parts of the marriage. Don't hide the sexuality aspect either. Things can get a little racy from time to time. Makes things fun.

Amazing Member

Personally, Ultimate was my intro, so I have some experience the Peter-MJ pairing, but my other main exposures to Spidey have been the Spectacular cartoon, the ASM movies, and Slott's Spider-Man. So other than that frightening 2 issue period when Otto and MJ were dating, people (like me) who became fans of Spidey in last 7 years probably find this a bit abrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by insert90 View Post
    Personally, Ultimate was my intro, so I have some experience the Peter-MJ pairing, but my other main exposures to Spidey have been the Spectacular cartoon, the ASM movies, and Slott's Spider-Man. So other than that frightening 2 issue period when Otto and MJ were dating, people (like me) who became fans of Spidey in last 7 years probably find this a bit abrupt.
    Marvel didn't make the Spectacular cartoon or the ASM movies. So, while none of this stuff exists in a vacuum, why should they care what those projects did?

Quote Originally Posted by insert90 View Post
    I think abrupt is a good word, and one reason why I’m not sure the change will be permanent.

I always expected that Peter and MJ would get back together at some point, though not necessarily as a married couple. It’s the nature of comics.

But I always thought their reconciliation would be seen in story. If the marriage returned, that would have entail defeating Mephisto; if not, then they would get back together after an appropriate buildup.

One of the things I disliked about OMD was using a magic wand to suddenly achieve a desired status quo. I hope this event doesn’t do the same thing in reverse. If something big happens, I’d prefer it as a natural progression that makes sense in-story.

But at this point, it’s still way too early to know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    I think abrupt is a good word, and one reason why I’m not sure the change will be permanent.

I always expected that Peter and MJ would get back together at some point, though not necessarily as a married couple. It’s the nature of comics.

But I always thought their reconciliation would be seen in story. If the marriage returned, that would have entail defeating Mephisto; if not, then they would get back together after an appropriate buildup.

One of the things I disliked about OMD was using a magic wand to suddenly achieve a desired status quo. I hope this event doesn’t do the same thing in reverse. If something big happens, I’d prefer it as a natural progression that makes sense in-story.

But at this point, it’s still way too early to know what to expect.
    I don't know why anyone expects this to be "permanent." What in comics is permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I don't know why anyone expects this to be "permanent." What in comics is permanent?
    True. Poor choice of words on my part. I should have said “new status quo.”

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    She looks a little short to be Spider-man and I don't recall him ever being Cheshire Cat themed...oh the other guy! Right!

I don't know. A responsible father is a good representation of a hero as any as far as I'm concerned. I also felt snubbed when they dropped the daddy storyline back in the day. If this did become the norm I think I'd be for it. I could see them pushing Peter into a more adult role while having Miles fill the youthful role in the merged world. In the mirror as well is the current Peter Parker really " our " Spider-man? I mean he's currently living out an extension of a life built by Otto Octavius complete with the people in his personal life having been replaced with new faces. It seems more that what Slott is writing for is as much an alternate Peter itself so I'm not sure I'd concede that there would be a true switch-up happening if this would be the case.
    Good point Peter does deserve some happiness after how Octavius messed up his life.

But I always thought their reconciliation would be seen in story. If the marriage returned, that would have entail defeating Mephisto.....
    I wouldn't be opposed to Mephisto getting his ass kicked. I've always found the character pompous and annoying. He deserves a good thrashing, no matter how it comes about.

True. Poor choice of words on my part. I should have said “new status quo.”
    "New Status Quo" is also pretty vague. A "new status quo" could last for five issues.

Actually, in Slott's run, "new status quo" seem to last around 20-30 issues.

Peter's relationship with Carlie lasted about 25 issues. From there, there was quite a bit of ship tease about him and MJ getting back together that ultimately didn't happen. (That was also around 25 issues or so.)

Superior happened after that and lasted about 30 issues.

And the Amazing relaunch will be around issue 20 or so when "RYV" kicks in. So it seems like it's about time for a new status quo for Spider-Man.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Didn't they say in OMD that Peter and MJ were soul mates? I think that shows that they were eventually going to bring them back together.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Didn't they say in OMD that Peter and MJ were soul mates? I think that shows that they were eventually going to bring them back together.
    Which means they'd get back together for good when Spidey's story ends. But since it's a serial, that's pretty much never going to happen.

"New Status Quo" is also pretty vague. A "new status quo" could last for five issues.
    I’ll leave it to you to decide what phrasing works best, but I think we’re actually in agreement on the main point of your last point—that nothing in comics is permanent. Peter and MJ will probably be back together at some point, and they may well be separated again at some point. And so on. It’s an argument I think I’ve seen you make before, and I agree with it.

Actually, in Slott's run, "new status quo" seem to last around 20-30 issues.

Peter's relationship with Carlie lasted about 25 issues. From there, there was quite a bit of ship tease about him and MJ getting back together that ultimately didn't happen. (That was also around 25 issues or so.)

Superior happened after that and lasted about 30 issues.

And the Amazing relaunch will be around issue 20 or so when "RYV" kicks in. So it seems like it's about time for a new status quo for Spider-Man.
    I wouldn’t dispute any of that. Like I said earlier, I enjoyed many of the issues with the marriage back in the day, especially when written by DeMattais. I’d be more than fine if it returned. I just would personally prefer if it doesn’t come out of left field—though I’m not saying it will (or would, as this is all speculation anyway). It's just a personal preference. I certainly respect it if you feel differently.

I’ll leave it to you to decide what phrasing works best, but I think we’re actually in agreement on the main point of your last point—that nothing in comics is permanent. Peter and MJ will probably be back together at some point, and they may well be separated again at some point. And so on. It’s an argument I think I’ve seen you make before, and I agree with it.
    Sounds like we have an agreement and are just getting a bit lost in the semantics.

I wouldn’t dispute any of that. Like I said earlier, I enjoyed many of the issues with the marriage back in the day, especially when written by DeMattais. I’d be more than fine if it returned. I just would personally prefer if it doesn’t come out of left field—though I’m not saying it will (or would, as this is all speculation anyway). It's just a personal preference. I certainly respect it if you feel differently.
    There was a teaser image released many months in advance as a tie-in to a big event. The teaser image came out of left field, but comic geeks have had a lot of time to pour over "what it all means."

(Some people are just setting themselves up for disappointment.)

Spectacular Member

amazing spider-man filims and rami films had nothing do with the peter and mj or peter and gwen relationships and just for there are readers who don't like the marriage and Spider-man