Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Which means they'd get back together for good when Spidey's story ends. But since it's a serial, that's pretty much never going to happen.
    Not necessarily. They could have a superhero Ross-Rachel relationship.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

They make him a family man, then reboot?

They wouldn't make such life changing event, then do an about face within six months...

That would be like Peter exposing his identity and some weird deus ex machina to change Peter's consequences. Marvel wouldn't do...(slaps head)

Oh dang.
    I love comics and make art. Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ARose...9658123?ref=hl

Fantastic Member

Yeah, don't think this'll end like some are thinking. Feels like a tease... makes you believe you'll get one thing, but by the end, you get something else. Eh, we'll see.

the only reason they're makign this change is to make miles stand out.... sigh

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    They make him a family man, then reboot?

They wouldn't make such life changing event, then do an about face within six months...

That would be like Peter exposing his identity and some weird deus ex machina to change Peter's consequences. Marvel wouldn't do...(slaps head)

Oh dang.
    exactly,,, can't, stop, laughing

At the time Spidey publically revealed his true identity I really wanted to see the full consequences of his rash decision. More than anything else I'll always be angry with those at Marvel for not writing what could have been a very interesting story arch.
    Last edited by Celgress; 01-20-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Neat willhe stillteach at Xschool will daughter attend as human?

If what Axel Alonso is saying is to be taken at face value, and that this really is an indication that Marvel is going to use Secret Wars to actually undo One More Day, and give Peter and MJ and kid to boot, then I find it absolutely hysterical that, after eight years of Marvel telling us how necessary One More Day was for the future of Spider-Man as a viable comic book franchise, of Tom Brevoort saying stuff like this:

...take this from somebody who was there as a reader and watched it happen, the marriage of Peter and MJ was absolutely as forced and sudden, probably more so. It’s just had the advantage of having been a status quo for so long that a lot of readers grew up with it and accepted it. We’ve never said that no characters should be married, the point is that Spider-Man, the most popular youth-based character in the entertainment world, probably shouldn’t be married.”
    and Joe Quesada saying stuff like this:

What really made Spidey unique wasn't so much his powers or his costume, sure those were cool things, but what really made him unique was that it was about the guy inside the costume and the soap opera that was his life. Peter could have had a whole different set of powers and it still would have been a ground breaking comic because in the end, that's not what made Spider-Man stories different. So, with every little bit of the trappings of his life that got chipped away, more and more of the soap opera dwindled.

When Peter Parker got married, it caused the character to be cut off from many of the social situations and settings that put him at conflict with his family, friends, and especially the girl he was dating. Suddenly, something as simple as the tension he had with Felicia Hardy was completely defused; if Peter ever gave in to temptation or even considered it, he would be, in the eyes of the fans, the lousiest guy in the world. It became harder to place Peter in situations where he could hang out with other single characters, without him seeming like the oldest person in the room, even if he wasn't. And whatever nerdish sex appeal he possessed, we had to tread very carefully. He became the perpetual "designated driver." Sure, Peter could hang around with other married folk -- I bet that would be exciting!

Let me try to put this as plainly as I can, and let's be really honest here, let's really look at marriage for a second. I'll get personal, for a moment. I have an incredible marriage and a fantastic kid, but there is no question that my life was much more story-worthy when I was single. Was I happier? Absolutely not. Was my life a better story from a drama sense? Ummmm, yeah. It had many more twists and turns and theater and was a bit of a mess. Now let me say, not everyone, but for most: When people get married, they tend to settle down -- life slows down and you gain different responsibilities, grown-up responsibilities, boring responsibilities. You go out to dinner less, see fewer movies, your social life is curtailed and revolves, as it should, around your significant other. In short, life hands you a mini van. While marriage makes for an okay story, there is less drama in a (healthy) marriage than in a single relationship. That's one of the many reason we get married -- we want stability, we want comfort, we want kids, etc., etc. No one gets married because they want more drama in their life. What's good for one's life doesn't always make for great stories when the heart of your character's universe is drama. From a writer and artist's point of view, the people who are creating the stories, it's like giving Daredevil his eyesight back. It works for a short time and eventually erodes at the foundation of the character and what makes them unique. We all want Peter to catch a break and to settle down and have happiness in his life, but that isn't really what we want. If that actually happened, people would stop caring about Spider-Man.

Bottom line, there are so many things that twentysomethings are doing with their lives that a married Peter can't. He needs to be a single guy. Sure, he can have a girlfriend -- that adds something to his story -- but a married Peter just cuts off too many avenues for good soap opera. Could you have soap opera within a marriage? Sure. But after a while, there's only so much tension you can bring into Peter and MJ's marriage before you make him seem like a louse of a husband, or her, like a bickering wife. In contrast, you can only play them as a happy-go-lucky couple for so long -- that adds up to zero tension within the relationship and takes away a crucial element of Spider-Man stories: the soap opera.
    ...that Marvel, after all of this, essentially goes, "Um...yeah, about that whole deal with Mephisto to erase Peter and MJ's marriage. Guess we really did screw-up on that one, huh?"

Of course, if this is a return of a married Peter, then I wouldn't be surprised if, seeing how the Ultimate is being merged with the 616, if this is also a way for Miles Morales to be groomed as the more prominent Spider-Man with Peter acting as a mentor.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

Probably why you shouldn't take it at face value.

Probably why you shouldn't take it at face value.
    There's definite trolling going on. Just look at Alonso teasing reviving Gwen Stacy.

If this is gonna be the definitive Spider-Man moving forward from Secret Wars, I wonder what happened to the whole thing of giving a character kids aging them.

BANNED

Marvel didn't even have to really do anything. People worked themselves up about a reboot the last few events. Now Axel just has to tease and mention the universes are ending -- when we already knew they were, at least according to the Battleworld map -- and folks expect it to mean a reboot. But they're just talking about Secret Wars.

Marvel didn't even have to really do anything. People worked themselves up about a reboot the last few events. Now Axel just has to tease and mention the universes are ending -- when we already knew they were, at least according to the Battleworld map -- and folks expect it to mean a reboot. But they're just talking about Secret Wars.
    True. Now if things end up mixed up after Secret Wars ends, with some characters in universes they don't belong to and aspects of the universes blended then we can talk about reboots but as of now, we were just told what we already knew.

BANNED

Yeah. The universes will get better by the end of the event. The Marvel U will be saved by its heroes. But hinting at reboot piques curiosities and that means more people might check it out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    If what Axel Alonso is saying is to be taken at face value, and that this really is an indication that Marvel is going to use Secret Wars to actually undo One More Day, and give Peter and MJ and kid to boot, then I find it absolutely hysterical that, after eight years of Marvel telling us how necessary One More Day was for the future of Spider-Man as a viable comic book franchise, of Tom Brevoort saying stuff like this:

and Joe Quesada saying stuff like this:

...that Marvel, after all of this, essentially goes, "Um...yeah, about that whole deal with Mephisto to erase Peter and MJ's marriage. Guess we really did screw-up on that one, huh?"

Of course, if this is a return of a married Peter, then I wouldn't be surprised if, seeing how the Ultimate is being merged with the 616, if this is also a way for Miles Morales to be groomed as the more prominent Spider-Man with Peter acting as a mentor.
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah... somehow, I just don't see this happening the way you're saying here. Perhaps someone can answer this to me, though... why do people keep thinking Peter is going to retire? Why? He's Marvels Flagship, not Miles. Yeah, Miles is popular... but not at Peters level. If it's a temporary thing, then maybe... MAYBE... I could see that, but I've actually seen some think he might actually retire for good.

I'd like to believe this would be for the real Spider-Man but Monkey's have more than one paw and we have no idea how many Marvel has. I would not be suprise if this was a bait and switch.