Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I think there already is a divide, though I guess it could widen with Secret Wars.

You see it all the time on CBR. You often see older readers/fans of the older material complaining that they don't recognise the characters they grew up with/the current state of the MU is a joke/writers don't respect history/ etc.

I've only been reading for 10 years, there hasn't been enough time for my history to be ignored/retconned so I guess I'm a happy camper on the other side of the divide.

Quote Originally Posted by SickAlice View Post
    @Powerboy: That sort of reinforces my point. You just defined what you consider to be the " True " and therefore "Right " version of the characters in contrast to what anyone else would consider the " True " version as ordered by their own paradigm. In other words that's how you personally choose to enjoy or not enjoy the craft. It doesn't actually define it nor how another persons preferences lay out. It's in fact only your opinion. And what your then saying is that the current version doesn't match up the old, in other words, the current version isn't the old version so it's not as liked by you. Saying the continuity isn't the now as then is the same thing as that. You see the true version to each individual is defined by the one they came to appreciate, it is different for everyone as I said in my post. What your referring to is the first version.

I didn't actually clarify it was always about age. Not certain where you drew that from. Perhaps the In fact the bit where I pointed out that the previous version of the Turtles hadn't been around for long pretty much suggests I think otherwise. More because I was just giving a quick example in agreement rather than typing a blog about it. You do seem to be on though. Is it possible because I didn't give examples outside of the specific question the OP asked pertaining to the "age " gap you assumed me of a lesser grade of mentality as well and decided to try and educate me? Thank you but I'm already aware there are other factors that dictate a persons tastes in entertainment, I was just trying to focus on the topic at hand. I try to be short or else I just clown around. This isn't a sign that uninformed of something, it's how I choose to post.

I'm more boggled as to why you quoted me and rebuked my post though particularly as I wrote about personal experiences. How would I respond in kind " Your right. I never went into an LCS and got static from the persons there over my selection of comics. It must of been a dream I had. " ? I will ask you this in return though. Are you 100% certain said persons in their twenties (your saying these are children of the nineties) actually " feel " that way though, or are they just echoing what older persons have said to either sound knowledgeable to their perceived peers possibly to avoid having a more abrasive seasoned comic reader lambast them for being " wrong " for liking anything other than an old version of a character. I only ask because I remember lying quite a bit when I was young in that LCS just to avoid much of the scrutiny from the older peoples working there.

Likewise they are only confirming which version of Superman was "first ", not "true " so that sort of makes it irrelevant. The whole original version thing is actually a made up concept, like a social construct it doesn't really exist it's only perpetuated and by those who choose to. Because what the person is really saying is " This ones better because..." or " Mines better/bigger/stronger because...". It's the same tired archaic rhetoric that keeps feuds and wars going. The same as the human race can't live together in harmony with and points do differences in another, but what they're really pointing to is the existence of something else registers as a threat to themselves because it may actually they are not " true ", which is of course actually a construct of the ego. Or at least this my opinion of all that since you broached it.
    Oooookay. That was a whole lot over a post that I thought was mostly agreeing with you except on one issue.

In short, things that are clearly a different continuity (Ultimate Universe is clearly a separate continuity from 616 for example), I have no problem with. Sometimes, they can be better regardless of my personal preferences.

Regarding Superman, I do not think that the Golden Age version is the best version. I was saying that if someone is going to go into the "true version" sort of argument, the original version is the only one I can see as having any validity for that sort of argument. Nor is it a made up concept. I'm fairly sure we can prove the 1938 version is the original version.

As to the validity of my continuity argument, sure, it depends on how much continuity matters to someone. For instance, Tony Stark was originally a suave, sophisticated 1960's image. Then, his whole personality changes and he's a wisecracking guy with a juvenile approach to things. That's great for a movie that is a separate continuity. But isn't 616 Stark supposed to be the same person all the way through? Isn't it supposed to be the same continuity?

I personally like the Robert Downey, Jr. version better, by the way. He has his serious side but he's a lot more fun and laughs. In fact, he revamped my whole interest in the character and the movies have really revamped my interest in the comics. I like the wisecracking Stark better even in the comics. But, for me, there is a stickler about continuity in an already established setting such as the 616 universe. That's one of the reasons I frankly would not mind an official reboot of the 616 universe so it's a separate continuity and that sort of argument can be done and over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I think there already is a divide, though I guess it could widen with Secret Wars.

You see it all the time on CBR. You often see older readers/fans of the older material complaining that they don't recognise the characters they grew up with/the current state of the MU is a joke/writers don't respect history/ etc.

I've only been reading for 10 years, there hasn't been enough time for my history to be ignored/retconned so I guess I'm a happy camper on the other side of the divide.
    There is undeniably an age factor. But I think it's more that you "find your groove" (sorry, I just had to say that). Marvel has been subtly revamping itself for decades. When it got revamped to the point that it resonated with me as a young adult, I loved it. But then again, I loved a lot of stuff about the Ultimate Universe. For instance, Captain America was presented in a way that a guy waking up from a bygone era felt so much more real. The personalities, in most cases, felt more like real people.

I admit I have this preoccupation with continuity in an established setting. When the entire personalities of characters change notably whether from decades ago or from the previous writer from last month, I find it annoying. However, I do not think the current writers simply do not respect history. They just cannot write characters in 2015 like it was 1965 or whenever. It simply won't work.

I cannot speak for every person my age but I often like alternate settings like the UU because I enjoy lots of it on its own merits without the continuity issues. I would generally prefer a complete reboot of the 616 universe since it's been rebooted many times and I'd rather they just make it official and be done with it. The only thing I don't want is a halfway reboot like DC sometimes does where some things still happened and some didn't and nobody is sure which is which. If they reboot, I just prefer they do it all the way, a clean slate.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I don't think so. I'm an older reader-- been reading Marvel books since 1985, which makes this my 30th anniversary as a Marvel reader-- and I have no problem with a reboot as long as it leads to some good books. One of the things about DC's New 52 reboot is that it wasn't really longtime readers that were upset with it-- most of us had been through it before and just rolled with it as a matter of course-- but people who had been reading for about a decade had become especially attached to a particular incarnation of a character. I think if there's quality books, longterm readers will embrace them like they've done in any other era. If it's just the same old stories with a new set of paint, longterm readers will be upset because what was the point of rebooting? Post-Crisis DC was a golden era full of new takes on characters that are rightfully considered classics now because they took chances. If this is more like the New 52, which was mostly the same old thing with the continuity sawed off, then I'm not all that interested.

The comic book community has a general aversion to change, so people will always be upset at the loss of characters or the cancellation of a titles, but I'm not sure I see it being any more severe than when that happens in the normal course of business. Crisis may have been a generational shift, but that had as much to do with the changing nature of comic book storytelling as the reboot. If you look at something like Zero Hour or the New 52, the reaction wasn't much more pronounced than what you'd expect from just about any significant change.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I think if there's quality books, longterm readers will embrace them like they've done in any other era. If it's just the same old stories with a new set of paint, longterm readers will be upset because what was the point of rebooting? Post-Crisis DC was a golden era full of new takes on characters that are rightfully considered classics now because they took chances. If this is more like the New 52, which was mostly the same old thing with the continuity sawed off, then I'm not all that interested.
    Exactly. If the comics are good, it'll be a smooth transition, whatever the end point.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    I really don't see why people say, things like this. One one will get, erased. Wheb battle world is created that's 616. Making one universe. That's the point of hickmans story. After words well gwt a radical different marvel but the characters will remain as they are, currently. This isn't a reboot
    Yes. It is.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

@Powerboy: It's still opinion and conjecture. Your opinions are fine as are reason for liking or disliking a character, or rating them in context. The point was that one persons or even a mass do not determine the "right " version for everyone. You've only spelled out what determines that for yourself. Persons not being able to understand preference or even finding another persons positive outlook on a character or version of a character somehow rings as untrue (again it's really preference, so how? logic?) and possibly even threatens their own viewpoints on something (but false) is a large cause of the stigma that creates or at least reinforces the rift between a collective fanbase.

More what I was getting at though is I was boggled at your effort to dissect sharing an experience from life, inform me of what it detailed in analysis and fill with drop commonly known base details on me as if I must not be aware and despite I never asked. I wasn't sharing a contrasting viewpoint or formulated opinion, I was relaying a story of something that happened in my travels. Your effort nonplussed me and the only thing I could think is that you confused my post, being the second here, as the original topic as you didn't directly give your input on that nor to the OP. I construed the effort as condescending really but that's after the fact.

The topic question is: " Will the be a generation gap upcoming in between the Marvel readership, just focusing on age and era of birth and how Marvels plans to reinvent the look of it's universe after the upcoming event ". Yes there's other reasons for the rift, but the question here isn't pertaining to them nor other dates in time. But most certainly it's not about the old leches that worked at my local LCS when I was a child. And pardon my flare before, I just walked out of...well lets leave it at something pretty awful which had nothing to do with here nor you so I was trying to stay collected so I could address you, steer this thing back on topic (more preferably off myself), and close down my browser so I could go throw up (again TMI, your better off). Like I said before I more prefer to either leave something short with the hopes anyone will just get the gist of it or just something dorkly funny with the hopes someones day gets better from it. I do dialogue at length sometimes but I'd rather not.
    * partly because I end having to edit it like I am now since I miss words often or spell out the wrong ones. meh *
    Last edited by SickAlice; 01-21-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    I make love, you make me sick.