Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    007 girl.

Angry HCs that cost an arm and a leg and your soul

Can someone please tell me why one quite similar to this is listed on Amazon for over $3,000.00. I mean WTF? with a capital F.

I'm seeing it on Ebay for over $300, the difference being it might not be signed and numbered but still comes in a cool slipcase.

Thing is, you can get a full set of the original comics for less than $50 in NM condition. Why are HCs so much?

What HCs on your wants-list are just too damned expensive right now?
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

*Silver Surfer omnibus
    *Captain Britain omnibus

Silver surfer MMWs.

But I am cheap and REFUSE to pay $200+ for any hardcover.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    *Silver Surfer omnibus
    *Captain Britain omnibus

Silver surfer MMWs.

But I am cheap and REFUSE to pay $200+ for any hardcover.
    Agree, but I paid more than $200 for comic book only few times:

- Zenith complete collection by Morrison
    - Bone limited/signed edition
    - Marvel MMW box set and ZAP box set

That's all, as I remember

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Amazon Marketplace often goes ridiculously expensive for no reason.

The most I've paid for a book relative to its cover price is The Ultimate Omnibus, which I paid cover for plus 12% sales tax.
    Miller was right.

I find that prices on Amazon marketplace often have no real basis in reality.

The most expensive book on my want list is probably a copy of "Viamor" by Moebius. It's the only one of his small "Carnet" artbooks that I don't have but it's by far rarest of the bunch (only 300 copies total). A copy showed up at a local auction site a few months ago but it sold for a ridiculous €1100. There's no way I'm ever paying that for a book no matter how rare it is

The most expensive book I've ever bought, a copy of Moebius' "Transe Forme" catalog, was €250. I have a personal rule to never spend that much on a book that isn't even signed (you never know when something might be reprinted) but I just had a big tax rebate and wanted to treat myself

Most expensive books on my want list at the moment are:

Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 3 (Signed & Numbered) - Will finally be purchasing one next week for about £150 (there's another copy for sale on Ebay at the moment for £400 roughly!).

Miracleman HC books 1, 2, 3 & 4 - all ridiculously high pricing (there's a number 3 on sale at the moment for £493 & another at £1,644).

Silver Sandman Omnibus Volumes 1 & 2 (Signed & Numbered) - there's one on Ebay at the moment...but it's fairly highly priced at £625

X-Men Omnibus Volumes 1 & 2 - Signed by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas & Neal Adams - listed on Ebay at the moment for £599

Most expensive books I've bought:

Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 1 (Signed & Numbered) - Won an auction on Ebay for an eye watering £512
    Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 2 (Signed & Numbered) - £332.42 via Ebay
    Spawn Origins Deluxe Edition Volumes 1 & 3 + The Art of Todd McFarlane ( all Signed & numbered) - paid £569 via Ebay (already have books 2 & 4 S&N).
    Silver Surfer Omnibus - Signed by Stan Lee - £139.30 via Ebay
    Daredevil Omnibus Books 1 & 2 (Bendis) - £221.61 via Ebay

The most expensive books I ever bought were Infinite Crisis,and Astonishing X-men.Infinite crisis was one of my white whales.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deviskan View Post
    Most expensive books on my want list at the moment are:

Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 3 (Signed & Numbered) - Will finally be purchasing one next week for about £150 (there's another copy for sale on Ebay at the moment for £400 roughly!).

Miracleman HC books 1, 2, 3 & 4 - all ridiculously high pricing (there's a number 3 on sale at the moment for £493 & another at £1,644).

Silver Sandman Omnibus Volumes 1 & 2 (Signed & Numbered) - there's one on Ebay at the moment...but it's fairly highly priced at £625

X-Men Omnibus Volumes 1 & 2 - Signed by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas & Neal Adams - listed on Ebay at the moment for £599

Most expensive books I've bought:

Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 1 (Signed & Numbered) - Won an auction on Ebay for an eye watering £512
    Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 2 (Signed & Numbered) - £332.42 via Ebay
    Spawn Origins Deluxe Edition Volumes 1 & 3 + The Art of Todd McFarlane ( all Signed & numbered) - paid £569 via Ebay (already have books 2 & 4 S&N).
    Silver Surfer Omnibus - Signed by Stan Lee - £139.30 via Ebay
    Daredevil Omnibus Books 1 & 2 (Bendis) - £221.61 via Ebay
    wow. you spend a lot of money on those limited editions, my friend. is it just for collecting purposes (which is totally legit) or do you also read them? i'd be quite intimidated to hold a 700€ book in my hands...

Oh I'll definitely be reading all of them...I take the shrinkwrap off as soon as I get a book (and then bag it to keep it protected).

Admittedly though, I'm saving reading the more expensive ones until last!

I only started buying Absolutes and Omnibus copies about 2 years ago, but have already got a lot of reading to do (think I have 70+ at the last count, of which I've probably only read about 20 so far).

Only problem is the number keeps growing and I'm running out of space...so looking at a new bookcase, so I can continue to feed my addiction (the wife's not happy!).

I want that battle chasers book, but I'm not paying hundreds for books I have in floppies and the spined three floppy collections they made. And the story never finished.

I want Witchblade and the darkness hardcovers (both volume 1) but refuse to spend much since the quality is crappy and I have the soft covers.

There are some absolutes I missed out on but fingers crossed for absolute danger girl in the wild at cons and some other oop ones.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by krylox View Post
    wow. you spend a lot of money on those limited editions, my friend. is it just for collecting purposes (which is totally legit) or do you also read them? i'd be quite intimidated to hold a 700€ book in my hands...
    Actually I did quite the same with the Walking Dead Omnibus signed/numbered. I wanted to have no. 1 badly and bought vol. 1-3 on an ebay auction for..I dont even remember exactly but something around 1'000USD. But then I decided I didn't want to read these precious books (intimidated: no but I didn't want to risk anything) and bought also the regular editions of all the slipcases (these were around 100USD each). Completely crazy...so now I've got 9 or 10 of these Slipcases. For Spawn, I "only" own the 4 Origins Deluxe S/N but they're still shrinkwrapped. I don't even know what the books look like! Not sure if this will be the best choice I ever made.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Wolverine by Claremont and Punisher by Ennis are the two omnibuses I really want but wont pull the trigger on for over 200$.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Captain Britain Omnibus
    Death of Captain America Omnibus
    Brubaker & Bendis volumes of Daredevil Omnibus
    Punisher by Ennis Omnibus
    Astonishing X-Men Omnibus
    Uncanny X-Force Omnibus (in under a year from release & it's OOP, wtf?)
    Teen Titans vol.1 Omnibus
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

The Amazing Spider-Man MMW Vol. 10 is going for quite a penny. I got mine for around $125 plus int'l shipping and it's the MMW I've paid the most for.
    One of my most-wanted books, the S/N David Mazzucchelli's Daredevil Born Again Artist Edition, has been popping up in eBay but at a price that I simply cannot pay at the moment, but hopefully will be able to soon.
    Of course, the Eclipse Miracleman HC's are also there. No "restored" art or color, but proper credit where it's due (I also happen to like the old, funky colors better).

The ones that I'm aware I won't ever get but would very likely pay the price for if ever found are:
    -The super-exclusive Dave Gibbons' "Watchmen" Artifact Edition that was limited to 25 copies.
    -The Painfully Limited "From Hell" Edition that was limited to 19 copies.
    -The signed/numbered Will Eisner's "The Spirit" Artist Edition Vol. 1 that was limited to 100 copies.

The ever elusive The Umbrella Academy, Volume 1: Apocalypse Suite (Limited Edition)

and Absolute Promethea Vol. 1.