Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    007 girl.

Angry HCs that cost an arm and a leg and your soul

Can someone please tell me why one quite similar to this is listed on Amazon for over $3,000.00. I mean WTF? with a capital F.

I'm seeing it on Ebay for over $300, the difference being it might not be signed and numbered but still comes in a cool slipcase.

Thing is, you can get a full set of the original comics for less than $50 in NM condition. Why are HCs so much?

What HCs on your wants-list are just too damned expensive right now?
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

*Silver Surfer omnibus
    *Captain Britain omnibus

Silver surfer MMWs.

But I am cheap and REFUSE to pay $200+ for any hardcover.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    *Silver Surfer omnibus
    *Captain Britain omnibus

Silver surfer MMWs.

But I am cheap and REFUSE to pay $200+ for any hardcover.
    Agree, but I paid more than $200 for comic book only few times:

- Zenith complete collection by Morrison
    - Bone limited/signed edition
    - Marvel MMW box set and ZAP box set

That's all, as I remember

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Amazon Marketplace often goes ridiculously expensive for no reason.

The most I've paid for a book relative to its cover price is The Ultimate Omnibus, which I paid cover for plus 12% sales tax.
    Miller was right.

I find that prices on Amazon marketplace often have no real basis in reality.

The most expensive book on my want list is probably a copy of "Viamor" by Moebius. It's the only one of his small "Carnet" artbooks that I don't have but it's by far rarest of the bunch (only 300 copies total). A copy showed up at a local auction site a few months ago but it sold for a ridiculous €1100. There's no way I'm ever paying that for a book no matter how rare it is

The most expensive book I've ever bought, a copy of Moebius' "Transe Forme" catalog, was €250. I have a personal rule to never spend that much on a book that isn't even signed (you never know when something might be reprinted) but I just had a big tax rebate and wanted to treat myself

Most expensive books on my want list at the moment are:

Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 3 (Signed & Numbered) - Will finally be purchasing one next week for about £150 (there's another copy for sale on Ebay at the moment for £400 roughly!).

Miracleman HC books 1, 2, 3 & 4 - all ridiculously high pricing (there's a number 3 on sale at the moment for £493 & another at £1,644).

Silver Sandman Omnibus Volumes 1 & 2 (Signed & Numbered) - there's one on Ebay at the moment...but it's fairly highly priced at £625

X-Men Omnibus Volumes 1 & 2 - Signed by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas & Neal Adams - listed on Ebay at the moment for £599

Most expensive books I've bought:

Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 1 (Signed & Numbered) - Won an auction on Ebay for an eye watering £512
    Walking Dead Omnibus Volume 2 (Signed & Numbered) - £332.42 via Ebay
    Spawn Origins Deluxe Edition Volumes 1 & 3 + The Art of Todd McFarlane ( all Signed & numbered) - paid £569 via Ebay (already have books 2 & 4 S&N).
    Silver Surfer Omnibus - Signed by Stan Lee - £139.30 via Ebay
    Daredevil Omnibus Books 1 & 2 (Bendis) - £221.61 via Ebay

Spectacular Member

Default What's the most you have paid for an OOP Book?

I'm constantly looking at Infinate Crisis Omnibus on Ebay or Amazon or what not, but cant justify paying 250+ for it.

There are a lot of other books I want which are OOP. I just paid 150 for Claremont Lee XMen Omni Vol 1. I think that is my highest so far.

I am sure there are some big collectors with better stories than mine

Quote Originally Posted by ChinBo37 View Post
    I'm constantly looking at Infinate Crisis Omnibus on Ebay or Amazon or what not, but cant justify paying 250+ for it.

There are a lot of other books I want which are OOP. I just paid 150 for Claremont Lee XMen Omni Vol 1. I think that is my highest so far.

I am sure there are some big collectors with better stories than mine
    Same here with the infinite crisis omni. I think our best chance is if they do a reprint.

Fantastic Member

I can't see paying over cover price for a collected edition. If an older collected edition I want that's currently OOP, there's a good chance it will be reprinted at some point in the near future - and/or this material may be reprinted in a superior format.

And, remember, these collected editions are reprinting comics - this is not the first time these comics have been released. So, you're not even getting the original versions here. To me, the value of any collected edition is worth no more than cover price.

Besides then horrible punisher max hc vol 4 price it seems that vol 5 is getting expensive aswell.. had anyone seen it for cover price in eu?
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    Besides then horrible punisher max hc vol 4 price it seems that vol 5 is getting expensive aswell.. had anyone seen it for cover price in eu?
    MAX will slowly be rereleased in big trades. The 1st being out now.