Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kp404 View Post
    IST doesn't ship to Canada? I know they have the Secret Wars one because I bought mine from them for $225 a few months ago
    All of the good stores from the US either don't ship to Canada or charge SO much for shipping that we might as well not order. I once had an order from CGN where they wanted to charge me over 50 dollars to ship a single omnibus. So for all intents and purposes, they might as well not ship here.

Some of these advertised prices for hardbacks...and other types of comic collections...are a piss take.

About 9 years ago I had a big clear out...practically all comics at that stage.

My criterion was "will I ever want to re-read?". If answer was no, item went on e-bay with no reserve price. Practically everything went at a semi-reasonable price...practically nothing sells at "list price" (I regard those as works of fiction), but putting all sales together it made useful money, and freed up a chunk of space. At the time e-bay took very little commission on sales, so it struck me as a good way of doing it...pretty sure their take is bigger now.

But listing the comics, packaging them, despatching, etc is all a bit of a faff, so will most likely never bother again...I've gone "all digital" now, so my physical collection is never going to grow to room threatening dimensions again, so no pressure to sell remaining "hard copy".

But without the faff...a fair chunk of my comics, trades, hardbacks, etc would go. (i.e.If some serious collector magically appeared on my doorstep with a van, ready cash, and a willingness to offer a reasonable percentage of list price, then a lot of my remaining collection would be sold double pronto. )

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    My criterion was "will I ever want to re-read?". If answer was no, item went on e-bay with no reserve price. Practically everything went at a semi-reasonable price...practically nothing sells at "list price" (I regard those as works of fiction), but putting all sales together it made useful money, and freed up a chunk of space. At the time e-bay took very little commission on sales, so it struck me as a good way of doing it...pretty sure their take is bigger now.

But listing the comics, packaging them, despatching, etc is all a bit of a faff, so will most likely never bother again...I've gone "all digital" now, so my physical collection is never going to grow to room threatening dimensions again, so no pressure to sell remaining "hard copy".
    I find trying to sell unwanted comics/CE's a huge hassle. I don't have the time to do this, and the little money I would get from these (which wouldn't be much) wouldn't be worth the effort I would take to do this.

I recently went through some of my older floppies & Trades due to space issues, and donated them to the local library. I literally have so many of these that I run out of room occasionally, and need to get rid of some of them in order to create more space. I like doing this every 1-2 years, since I'm always increasing my collection to some extent - especially with all of the cool CE's coming out, i.e. Omnis, Epics, etc.

I also find that getting rid of these older comics/Trades make it easier to find comics/CE's in my collection that I do still want to read/collect.

My rule of thumb is: If I get a better version of a comic/series (typically in a collected edition), I'll donate the older version (whether they are floppies or Trades) - even if I have some nostalgia associated with this.

The only thing I typically don't get rid of are HC's - but, when I get something in HC it's usually the definitive version - so, I don't feel the need to upgrade from this, anyway.

Fantastic Member

No donating for me! lol...these books are too expensive and I ain't rich. If I upgrade from something I have in trades I'll take the trades to my LCS and trade them for something else I want. You don't get much for them, but I can take in 10 trades and walk out with one or two HCs usually (particularly if you can happen to find some good used books to trade for).

Spectacular Member

I regret not picking up Jack Kirby's The Demon Omnibus when I had the chance, now it's selling on Amazon for no less than fraggin $120 . The last expensive HC/Trade I bought was The Golden Age Spectre Archives (cost about $100 flat or so). The Demon Omnibus will be the last HC/Trade I'll ever purchase that's more than $60 or whatever the price is for many of those Omnibuses like the recent Dr. Strange Omnibus
    DC Comics, Cthulhu Mythos, Michael Moorcock, 2000AD & Warhammer 40k fanboy

Only omnibus that I want is Daredevil by Bendis. The problem is that there are two volumes, and together they're around 500 to 600 euros, and usually there is volume 2 selling from 150 to 200 euros, where volume 1 is rare to see solo, and even if I find it - it goes around 300 euros.

If they both were 300, I would purchase it, but it's too expensive to give 300 for a half of the story.

Brubaker run is being reprinted in omnibus format, I saw on amazon - I can only hope Bendis run will also get a reprint.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ddak View Post
    Only omnibus that I want is Daredevil by Bendis. The problem is that there are two volumes, and together they're around 500 to 600 euros, and usually there is volume 2 selling from 150 to 200 euros, where volume 1 is rare to see solo, and even if I find it - it goes around 300 euros.

If they both were 300, I would purchase it, but it's too expensive to give 300 for a half of the story.

Brubaker run is being reprinted in omnibus format, I saw on amazon - I can only hope Bendis run will also get a reprint.
    I would say wait it out for the possible reprints or finding them at a decent price. That's what I did, and I managed to find both DD Brubaker Omnis and DD Bendis Vol. 2 for under cover price all still sealed and in perfect nick. I'm still on the hunt for the DD Bendis Vol. 1. I would prefer to find it rather than having the reprint as the former will have the better quality paper and the faux leather cover but I'll settle for a reprint.

Extraordinary Member

The most I've ever spent is 25 quid.

Prices like that are just plain daft.

I would guess you could buy back issues themselves for around 2 dollars a comic...for me, a considerably better format for ease of reading than omnibus.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    The most I've ever spent is 25 quid.
    So which Omnibus(es) have you purchased for the "ludicrous" price of £25?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Prices like that are just plain daft.

I would guess you could buy back issues themselves for around 2 dollars a comic...for me, a considerably better format for ease of reading than omnibus.
    Yes, they are pretty silly prices. And I agree, you can probably buy all of the Bendis and Brubaker DD back issues for around $1-2 each (I have quite a few of them), but that's not the point is it? This thread is part of the "Collected Editions" section of the CBR forum, and quite a few of of us here love our comics in collected formats, in particular oversized Omnibuses

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    So which Omnibus(es) have you purchased for the "ludicrous" price of £25?

Yes, they are pretty silly prices. And I agree, you can probably buy all of the Bendis and Brubaker DD back issues for around $1-2 each (I have quite a few of them), but that's not the point is it? This thread is part of the "Collected Editions" section of the CBR forum, and quite a few of of us here love our comics in collected formats, in particular oversized Omnibuses
    Exactly this. I do not like floppies. I very much love the big omnibus and LE editions. To me they are far more "worth the money" than floppies with their pulp paper and storage hassles. I even prefer the physical act of reading the big books over floppies...

I personally wouldn't spend hundreds on a book. I do however enjoy owning books that other people might spend hundreds for.

Incredible Member

It has been pointed out before and it is what I did, just buy the Bendis OHC set. You can probably get the set for around $150. Why pay quadruple that for a red Omnibus logo on the spine instead of the white Marvel.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    It has been pointed out before and it is what I did, just buy the Bendis OHC set. You can probably get the set for around $150. Why pay quadruple that for a red Omnibus logo on the spine instead of the white Marvel.
    Same for Ultimates and Astonishing X-Men. I made a ton of money selling those and the two Bendis omnibus collections and then picking up the OHCs.