Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I have opted to pay above cover price just one time for a hardcover. It was for X-Force/Cable: Messiah War at close to $20 over the original cover price of $40, so not too bad of a price hike.

The only elusive/hard to find book left on my want list is War of Kings. It's the only hardcover from the Abnett and Lanning cosmic era that I do not own but prices online go way too high for me to bite.

And as someone that owns a copy of the Battle Chasers hardcover mentioned in the OP I am so very glad I bought it for $60 when it was first available on Instocktrades years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    No. Rubbing salt in her wounds would be mentioning I picked up NTT Archives vols. 1-4 last Fall for only $80 because I needed a backup set of hardcovers for such a great book!
    You seem to enjoy hurting me, DrGregatron.

It hurts so bad.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    You seem to enjoy hurting me, DrGregatron.

It hurts so bad.
    You and my wallet! I thought I'd end up buying fewer books last year since I only bought 2 Marvel omnibuses, but I ended spending ungodly amounts of cash on other publishers--expensive year!

You and my wallet! I thought I'd end up buying fewer books last year since I only bought 2 Marvel omnibuses, but I ended spending ungodly amounts of cash on other publishers--expensive year!
    I will gladly take your TT Archive editions off your hands and replenish some of that spent money.

SINCE YOU HAVE THE OMNIBUS.

:P

I will gladly take your TT Archive editions off your hands and replenish some of that spent money.

SINCE YOU HAVE THE OMNIBUS.

:P
    But what about the Archives collection I just started last year!?!

Quote Originally Posted by aaltomuoto View Post
    That reminds me; I have all the "Complete Strangers in Paradise" Hc's except Vol III Part 7, which is very hard to come by for some reason.
    There was a copy on amazon UK for cover price a few years ago but they wouldn't ship outside the UK
    A year and a half ago I had one of my two copies of that particular volume for sale on ebay for at least 3 or 4 weeks. It ended up going to a Portuguese collector for 46€. It's odd you didn't see it.

That reminds me; I have all the "Complete Strangers in Paradise" Hc's except Vol III Part 7, which is very hard to come by for some reason.
    There was a copy on amazon UK for cover price a few years ago but they wouldn't ship outside the UK
    I have all the SIP single issues, the hardcovers and the hardcover omnibus, also copies of the first three trades and one of the pocket books, you know in case you need something to read while traveling. While the omnibus is nice, and I only paid cover price as part of the pre-order my copy came with one of the books binding a bit off. Most likely it was damaged in shipping, but as the print run was super limited (i got #346), it's not as if I was going to complain or try to send it back. who know's maybe i'll fix the binding someday, it is not so bad, but it looks odd in the slip case. I bought up the Complete Collection Hardcovers not long before the omnibus was announced. They are much more manageable for reading, not really sure why some copies cost so much more, even 5 years ago i think i paid almost double cover price for one or two of those.

For me the Inferno Hardcover is just way to high for what is included. I have the whole story via floppies and the original TPB, i guess i'm missing some of the cover art by having the TPB, but i'll manage without unless they reprint and i can get a good pre-order price.

I've got almost all my white whales at this point. I do need one last volume to complete my Will Eisner Spirit Archives collection. I just need to recover from my christmas spending before i pull the trigger. I have visions of finding it in some bookshop for cover price, but at this point i know i need to buy it soon as it will not be back in print from DC.

I paid too much for the X-men Vol 1 Omnibus, i don't dare say what i paid, i was a bit disappointed that the book was not well packaged, and was either nicked up in shipping, or the photos on ebay somehow got around showing off the flaws. I also paid too much for the Eternals Omnibus, i went on quite a run of gotta catch them all. That book also has a few nicks that could have been avoided with better packaging, but alas, i got the books that i wanted, and i sleep better at night having a full bookshelf.

Finally I paid about $140.00 for the Simonson Thor Omni variant cover. Again, part of my gotta catch them all phase, but i got over that, and sold it off for what i paid. If they republish the Omni i'll buy it, i think it is a book that would benefit from the thinner paper Marvel has adopted.
    Last edited by Danny77; 01-22-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooCat View Post
    A year and a half ago I had one of my two copies of that particular volume for sale on ebay for at least 3 or 4 weeks. It ended up going to a Portuguese collector for 46€. It's odd you didn't see it.
    huh, that must have slipped through my ebay alerts, that happens from time to time. Under what name did you list it?

But what about the Archives collection I just started last year!?!
    Part with the omnibus then. :P

Part with the omnibus then. :P
    But that's the predicament! Then my NTT omnibuses vols. 2-3 would get lonely!

But that's the predicament! Then my NTT omnibuses vols. 2-3 would get lonely!
    That IS quite the predicament.
    But, still. It's less of a predicament than I am in being I don't even have either of those things.
    I only have the first TPB.

And look at you, you won't even share.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny77 View Post
    Again, part of my gotta catch them all phase
    Yeah, that was me back in 2010. I bought my first Omni in July, and by the end of that very year I was up to date with the whole Omni line. Looking back, I can't believe how overboard I went and how much I paid for some of those books, especially Alias and New X-Men... which would eventually get reprinted. Sigh.

huh, that must have slipped through my ebay alerts, that happens from time to time. Under what name did you list it?
    Oh, it was a pretty on point description. But, come to think of it, I think eBay only starts tracking auctions and such for you from 'foreign eBay' sellers with at least 10 ended transactions, so you probably wouldn't have known unless you had purposely looked on ebay.es. I really have to put up more products there, since very few people seem interested in US books where I live.

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkaman Blade View Post
    I have opted to pay above cover price just one time for a hardcover.
    As far as I can remember, I've never gone above cover price, or actual cover price for a HC, save an except the British Annuals that I used to buy off-the-shelf at WH Smith.

Right now I'm looking at a Punisher Warzone HC that features the return of Ma Gnucci...cover was $24.95, it's on sale for $6.95...but I was wondering, who'd pay $25 for that to begin with? I got the actual set of comics for 20c each in an auction that no one else bidded on.

So paying $200 for an Omni is new territory for me...I can't say it's out of the question as I've gone much higher for actual comics.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Fantastic Member

the most expensive thing i've done was buying a set of starman hc from an ebay seller based in the uk. i payed about 220 euro for them, which seemed to me like quite an ammount of money, but they arrived in beautiful condition and are a great read.
    i felt really bad about spending so much money on one comic-series, on the other hand, with robinson's departure from dc, i don't think we'll ever see another collection of starman, so better now than paying even more absurd prices later.

i know this is a personal record only, i've read some of the previous confessions here, and i have to admit: i'm afraid to become like some of you guys...!

007 girl.

One of the Battle Chasers HCs slipped through my fingers today...I bid $89 and someone kicked my arse and got it for $91.

Even $91 sounds better than $3k.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.