Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    While the main event sounds like a video game, this sounds like some kinda fanfic stuff. With only hours to their demise, character X finally tells character Y that they (A) love them (B) killed their best friend (C) hate them (D) some variation of the above. Won't this just play off like some kinda daytime soap opera?

I suppose you could get some heroes finally saying WTF and actually going out and killing some villains that keep coming back and back and back again, but I doubt it.
    What's 'fanfic' about that concept? Have you only encountered characters having emotions and personal conflicts of a 'soap opera' type (that descriptor I'll accept) in fanfic, never in original or 'official' fiction? Really?

Not sure what the point of killing somebody who doesn't have long left to cause any damage would be, either, as opposed to making peace with one's loved ones, but leave that aside. If you don't like a little soap opera thrown in with your superhero fisticuffs, I have to wonder how much of a Marvel fun one can really be.

Not that I haven't read some fanfics where they actually do the soap opera stuff better than many of the published comics, mind you.... ;-)

Fantastic Member

"Whatever comes after Secret Wars I'll do what any rational person should do. I'll look at each book and creative team to see what appeals to me."

That's the right attitude. If we limit ourselves to what we're familiar with, we might miss out on a better, more consistent MarvelVerse.

It might well be that, after SW, Marvel won't be worth reading anymore. But we won't know, if we give up now.

Secret Wars, for me, is an end in itself. I'm looking forward to seeing characters from the original SW, interact with the characters & challenges in this one. Beyond that, like you said, we'll do what makes sense to us.

Amazing Member

Has anyone checked the timeline map, to see if this is listed?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    Right. And I get what you're saying.

I won't be buying Secret Wars unless I find I am ABSOLUTELY GOING TO DIIIEEEEEE if I do not find out what happens.

But I doubt I'm going to get to that point.
    I would hope not!!!

I think more readers need to stop buying books out of habit, or because they think the books are "important". We'd be getting better books if more people stopped doing that.

Yuck. Another Marvel "event" that will do nothing, change nothing, kill nobody, and literally be in the bargain bin 2 months after it's over. BIG TIME pass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    Yuck. Another Marvel "event" that will do nothing, change nothing, kill nobody, and literally be in the bargain bin 2 months after it's over. BIG TIME pass.
    I don't think you've read the last Marvel events then.

new avengers #24 all over again..i would love to see that
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

BANNED

Am I correct in thinking this tie-in will show us what characters who may not merit their own book (or perhaps do, but don't currently star in one) will be doing with their last moments?

If so, that's an awesome idea, and is a great opportunity to tie up ends that may otherwise have been left loose. You know Living Lightning is somebody's favorite character (and as C-listers go, he might be mine), so it'd be a great gesture on Marvel's part to do an ending that does justice to everybody from Steve Rogers to Songbird to Triathlon.
    Last edited by TresDias; 01-22-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I would hope not!!!

I think more readers need to stop buying books out of habit, or because they think the books are "important". We'd be getting better books if more people stopped doing that.
    Exactly.

I've come to the point that I don't have to read comics to be a completist anymore. I simply don't buy what I don't enjoy anymore.

It's made my life a whole lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I don't think you've read the last Marvel events then.
    If anything, the events since AvX have actually had repercussions, which is great.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by art123guy View Post
    DAMN IT! I told myself I wasn't buying this 'cause I don't like Hickman, but it looks like I'll need to in order to understand...well, everything afterwards.
    After it's all over just read a summary online. You'll be fine and will save a ton of money.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I suppose the big question surrounding the 'Last Days' brand is whether they're just running during May, when the transition is taking place as shown in #1 of Secret Wars, or through the whole five months in a sort of retrospective way, especially for titles which are featuring 616 and Ultimate characters Marvel doesn't intend to bring over (or at least that version of them). Or which see goodbyes to certain supporting cast (EG. Peter with Aunt May).

I am starting to think Marvel is doing this wrong.

One of the highlights of the original Secret Wars I heard about was that the changes bleed into the main books but they didn't over take them. Characters would be transported to Battleworld and the next month or few they'd be back changed, with notes saying to check out Secret Wars (hence the secret). This seems a lot like it will interrupt EVERYTHING for a while before the "new" Marvel universe is forged from the debris.

Not sure I am down for that type of story telling, especially given Marvel's inability to get such ambitions done well in past several years.