All-New Member

Default Getting rid of my comics

I'M GIVING AWAY A BATCH OF MY COMICS to someone who would appreciate them. Check out my vid for details.

So I'm downsizing! And whittling my comic collection down from 10 boxes to just 1. You can see some of my adventures in trying to sell my comics here. Not so happy me... But good for you!

Comic2 550x.jpg

I'm a game developer by day, but back in the day I use to draw comics. Was honestly not quite good enough to make a steady living from it, but needless to say, I still have a soft spot for great comic book art The first few boxes were pretty easy to sell, since people picked out a lot of my silver age stuff, which seem to be the most collectible. And from a personal standpoint, it wasn't that hard to let go of because I mostly had them for investment purposes. But the harder stuff to sell happens to be the same stuff that was harder to let go of. A lot of my early McFarlanes, Jim Lee's, and such, during what I personally felt was one of the most fun periods in comics. It also happened to be the point in my life when I was into drawing comics so these guys were basically my idols. But collectors don't see it the same way as I do So I'm down to 2 boxes of stuff and it's a bunch of comics with really amazing artists, and some great storylines, mostly stuff from the 90's.
    Last edited by johnmasterlee; 01-24-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In watching the video ...I hate to say this. I know you love those Batman issues of Knightfall. But they can be found for cheap now. They are basically quarter and 50 cent bin stuff. I think the only real noteworthy issues in the run then was 489 , 497 and 500. Which can go for a couple bucks.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

All-New Member

Yeah, I'll agree with you there. The Knightfall stuff is cheap stuff now. An old collector once told me that the real value of how much your collection is how much someone else is willing to pay for it. It's the sentimental value that makes this stuff seem like gold to me.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmasterlee View Post
    Yeah, I'll agree with you there. The Knightfall stuff is cheap stuff now. An old collector once told me that the real value of how much your collection is how much someone else is willing to pay for it. It's the sentimental value that makes this stuff seem like gold to me.
    I completely agree. I'm not a comic collector in the sense that I buy my comics for investment purposes or to re-sell them. I buy them to read and enjoy, and I totally understand that feeling of sentimental value and attachment to certain stories and such that you just loved.

Sorry to see you having to part with the majority of your comics, but I'm sure they'll go to good homes
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    I completely agree. I'm not a comic collector in the sense that I buy my comics for investment purposes or to re-sell them. I buy them to read and enjoy, and I totally understand that feeling of sentimental value and attachment to certain stories and such that you just loved.

Sorry to see you having to part with the majority of your comics, but I'm sure they'll go to good homes
    You know, that's actually this process enjoyable. When I talk to someone who wants to buy it and you can tell they really love comics and are stoked to get a batch.

007 girl.

An old collector once told me that the real value of how much your collection is how much someone else is willing to pay for it.
    That can sometimes go terribly wrong for a seller who does not know about the value of the collection. They get a cash offer, take it, and the dealer goes laughing all the way to the bank having paid pennies on the dollar for it. That's why I'd never sell to a dealer or store.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

You know, that's actually this process enjoyable. When I talk to someone who wants to buy it and you can tell they really love comics and are stoked to get a batch.
    Oh, I'm sure! And that way you're reassured that they're definitely going to go to someone who will truly enjoy and appreciate them
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Brought to you by CarlsJr SickAlice's Avatar

This is a really noble gesture. It's always kewl to see people making positive contributions to life.
    I make love, you make me sick.

All-New Member

"positive contribution". Ha. More like I'm getting rid of my junk and to someone else... this is treasure

BANNED

Donate them to a kid's library or a kid's hospital ward...

Quote Originally Posted by johnmahananda View Post
    Donate them to a kid's library or a kid's hospital ward...
    A children's hospital is a good idea. Or a women's shelter (which, if I understand correctly, also takes the children, right?) or a school library. If you're giving things away and not selling them (or were planning on selling them for dirt-cheap) then it might be a way to go. Plus, you won't need to deal with packaging and shipping them.