Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I thought Boom was doing a pretty great job with the license. It kinda surprises me that they didn't get it back but I guess IDW probably won that bidding war....

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Weevil View Post
    I'm really perplexed that Marvel isn't publishing these. Continued fallout from the Big Hero 6 imbroglio, maybe?
    Maybe they can't easily fit these into their publishing schedule along with the other products they put out each month?

Quote Originally Posted by BamaRainbow View Post
    . . . Unfortunately, because of the mid-90s financial problems Marvel was facing, the "animation" titles were mostly scrapped (the Disney titles even included a line of 99-cent books featuring a really cheap production process where the covers were printed on the same paperstock as the interior for a few months before being dropped).
    Hmmmm . . . sounds familiar . . .

I'm just so psyched that they're starting with Uncle Scrooge. His title has generally been the strongest of the core Disney comics through the years, but if you didn't know the comics, if you just knew them from the cartoons you'd think Mickey and Donald would be the bigger deal and you might lead with them. They fact they're starting with McDuck shows they know their stuff!

I wonder what their approach will be to Walt Disney Comics and Stories? Will it contain stories of the same characters that have their own solo titles or will they focus on characters that have no title to their own (Goofy, Chip and Dale, Pluto, the more outrageous spin-offs like Wizards of Mickey)?

...also, from the looks of that calendar I'd say the tpbs will collect 4 issues a piece. If all the comics are 48 pages and $3.99 this may be one of those few cases where buying floppies is more cost-effective than the collections!
    Last edited by Angilasman; 01-21-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Hells yes! I don't like seeing that ugly "IDW" logo on the comic, but I will buy. They had better not print this in Korea though. If I am paying the same cover price as US printed comics, I want the book printed in the US, or some similar country GDP/Wages wise. If they print this in Korea, they should charge $1.99 MAX.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    Hells yes! I don't like seeing that ugly "IDW" logo on the comic, but I will buy. They had better not print this in Korea though. If I am paying the same cover price as US printed comics, I want the book printed in the US, or some similar country GDP/Wages wise. If they print this in Korea, they should charge $1.99 MAX.
    But . . . would that cover all the other related costs (like shipping from Korea)? And why does where it's printed make as much (or more) difference than the quality of the finished product?

Very peculiar that Marvel wouldn't start publishing these (like Star Wars comics). I guess maybe it was more profitable for Disney to sell the rights to IDW to publish. And speaking of Marvel...how about bringing back the Star Comics line??

I really wish they'd resurrect The Incredibles. Boom was doing a nice job with those and the series was left hanging.

I hate that they screwed Boom out of these comics. Marvel was being mean, and killed the momentum these comics were building up. Now IDW has them.

I don't care, I guess, who publishes them. I'm glad they're going to be back in print, my question is, when they say NEW COMICS do they mean reprints of current stories in Topolino like BOom was doing or original stuff by American artists. I'm a big fan of the Topolino material. Also, where's DarkWing Duck?

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto_16 View Post
    I hate that they screwed Boom out of these comics. Marvel was being mean, and killed the momentum these comics were building up. Now IDW has them.

I don't care, I guess, who publishes them. I'm glad they're going to be back in print, my question is, when they say NEW COMICS do they mean reprints of current stories in Topolino like BOom was doing or original stuff by American artists. I'm a big fan of the Topolino material. Also, where's DarkWing Duck?
    Both and I think darkwing duck is at another publisher

^Yeah, some mysterious Canadian (is there any other kind?) publisher is continuing BOOM's Darkwing series.

IDW did another press release today:

Basically, the premier issues will be 48 pages and they'll be 40 pages after that. The $3.99 price will remain constant.

http://www.idwpublishing.com/idw-deb...tarting-april/

It’s the best bargain in the business,no wonder it’s attracted Scrooge McDuck! And we’ll be attracting a big following, too—with stories by epic talents like Romano Scarpa, Daan Jippes, Casty, Giorgio Cavazzano, and Al Taliaferro.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    There was an imbroglio with Big Hero 6?

I'm just assuming that IDW's contract for the Disney license probably still has a couple of years left on it, and IDW wants to capitalize on that before Disney snatches it back, since at that point they certainly will move it to Marvel.
    Yeah, long story short, Marvel was pissed off over the number of changes Disney made to the characters, story, etc. (I think they expected it to be a more direct adaptation, like maybe the first in a line of Marvel universe animated films), but instead Disney took a more "inspired by" approach. Marvel ultimately refused to do anything to promote the film, including refusing to re-release the older BH6 minis in a trade or to release the official manga movie adaptation. News of this broke in the fall (I'm sure you can look back through the archives here), so it would have been at almost the exact time Disney put the license out for bids. It's quite likely Marvel just decided not to bid out of frustration. That's honestly the only reason I can think of why this new line wouldn't be done "in house", as it were.

I hope there's a Gargoyles comic coming soon, best Disney show of the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^Yeah, some mysterious Canadian (is there any other kind?) publisher is continuing BOOM's Darkwing series.
    Most of it, anyway. The DuckTales crossover ("Dangerous Currency") is being removed from the new canon, and the omnibus is reportedly going to have a new ending designed to erase it. The dialogue is also getting rewritten to sound less boring and more like actual DW dialogue.
    Last edited by Myetche; 01-24-2015 at 09:42 PM.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Marvel doesnt do low selling books....that is prob why they arent touching them...they know they wont sell 5 digit numbers....

Quote Originally Posted by Venom2099 View Post
    Marvel doesnt do low selling books....that is prob why they arent touching them...they know they wont sell 5 digit numbers....
    ... but for a smaller company like IDW it's a good fit. I mean, hundreds of pages of new Disney comics are produced every month overseas, and they can bring that over here for next to nothing.

Though he's not mentioned in IDW's press release I hope we'll get some Marco Rota stories. He's my favorite duck man after Barks and Rosa.