Page 314 of 337 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324 ... LastLast
Results 4,696 to 4,710 of 5046

Ah... rivets!... Serious talk!!!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Like I was saying to Abe, I'd love to see Doom have his version of a light sabre. I recall he did use something called an ionic blade against the Red Skull in the fight on the Moon in SVTU. That's one thing I think I've missed and that is that writers don't really show his inventiveness that much these days. oom using the materials at hand. I think that's what I miss about the Infamous armor, the lack of a nose piece. At least that would make it less of a copy of Tony's should he choose to keep a more modern look to his armor.
    There was also the scene in Excalibur 37 where Doom takes the "Soulsword" from Kitty Pryde while they're besieged by demons in a hellish dimension. She cries out "You wield that soulsword like you were born with it!" Doom replies, "As I said, I have been known to dabble in the mystic arts."
    Kitty says "Dabble, huh? I should dabble so well, you lous ..." as Doom slices through a hoard of demons, he replies, "Right now I'm dabbling in saving your life -- you might want to watch your tongue, child."

One of my favorite Doom scenes.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_Vol_1_37
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    There was also the scene in Excalibur 37 where Doom takes the "Soulsword" from Kitty Pryde while they're besieged by demons in a hellish dimension. She cries out "You wield that soulsword like you were born with it!" Doom replies, "As I said, I have been known to dabble in the mystic arts."
    Kitty says "Dabble, huh? I should dabble so well, you lous ..." as Doom slices through a hoard of demons, he replies, "Right now I'm dabbling in saving your life -- you might want to watch your tongue, child."

One of my favorite Doom scenes.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Excalibur_Vol_1_37
    Thanks for reminding me. I have that arc too and I had forgotten how he snatched that sword from her like she was a child playing with matches. And we found out that Darkoth the Death Demon was also in the Netherworld. I think it this story it's probably the most heroes Doom faced all at once. About 30 or so I believe!

Sadly in my quest for back-issues featuring Doom I have found only two parts of the story - one two years ago and another a few months. One is still missing... So I only glimpsed quickly through those issues when I bought them, deciding to wait for the complete story to really read it.

I was intrigued by that story mostly because of this :

... I was trying to understand the mysteries of FF #350 !

I wanted to wait also because of too many holes in my knowledge of the stories of Ilyana and Rachel. I stopped reading comics when she just appeared. I was quite a fan of Ilyana because of the Magic series and of the New Mutants - especially Sienkiewicz drawing the soulsword and the armour. Having collected X-men books of that era lately I have not much excuse anymore... (And yes, I like the art in those Excalibur issues a lot. I'm not ashamed to say it!)

Anyway... I think that this page need to be posted here.

It's 1991. Twenty years before Doomswar. Lol.

Btw we can see one armour with beautiful rivets and another one beautiful without them.

I think Marvel has put all of the Excalibur run on Marvel Unlimited. I know I have the single issues packed away somewhere but it's easier to find the digital. There's a panel or two I may get around to posting later, Abe!

I like how now we have an even older testimony that Doom is not "evil", thanks for posting that.

Hmm....

Marvel: There hasn’t been an FF book in a while, and in the absence of Reed and Sue Richards, a certain Victor Von Doom has undergone some changes. Will that traditional rivalry take on a new slant going forward?

Dan Slott:*After the events of*Secret Wars*and*INFAMOUS IRON MAN, Victor Von Doom will be on new, but familiar footing. We will be building on what came before, and from that will come a Doctor Doom who will be far deadlier, misunderstood and incredibly iconic. You’re going to have to wait and see. But the wait won’t be too long.
    From : https://news.marvel.com/comics/87771...antastic-four/

And thanks to Miles To Go who posted it in the FF thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Hmm....

From : https://news.marvel.com/comics/87771...antastic-four/

And thanks to Miles To Go who posted it in the FF thread.
    I'm still concerned that Marvel will turn Doom into a black hat villain again. So when Slott says "misunderstoood" I am encouraged that this means that Slott will have him continue on the path to redemption. When he says deadlier, I hope this doesn't mean that he'll launch an attack on the FF for some reason.

Yes. That's the two important words - and my comments would be the same. Funny : at first I've read "ironic" instead of "iconic". I was pretty enthusiastic for a deadlier misunderstood ironic Doom.

Yes. That's the two important words - and my comments would be the same. Funny : at first I've read "ironic" instead of "iconic". I was pretty enthusiastic for a deadlier misunderstood ironic Doom.
    Me too! Now that I think about it, I wonder what Slot means by "iconic" --- again, does this mean back to the plans for world conquest, etc. I hope not.

Giving him his own book is the solution. With his own book he could have his own agenda. I don't really see other ways to write him not coming back to classic villainy or not playing a pseudo classic hero role.

And Bendis didn't deliver that kind of stuff all the way... (even if he did... more than a bit I'd say - because I'm in a good day )
    Last edited by Abe; 04-18-2018 at 01:47 PM.

Giving him his own book is the solution. With his own book he could have his own agenda. I don't really see other ways to write him not coming back to classic villainy or not playing a pseudo classic hero role.

And Bendis didn't deliver that kind of stuff all the way... (even if did... more than a bit I'd say - because I'm in a good day )
    That's what so frustrating about the experience of this odyssey that Bendis started with Doom. Hickman gave the next writer pretty much a clean slate to work with. IMO Doctor Doom with roots in the early days of the Silver Age ended with the panel of Doom laughing about his release from his past. Bendis also tries to complete the break by having Doom start to see his mother in a new, not so reverent light. I think it was done a bit too harshly with him desecrating her grave * But I'm not completely averse to him thinking of the bad choice she made in agreeing to bargain with demonic forces and the effect it has had on his life. After all, we've seen the Mephisto has had Doom on his "wish list" for quite a while.

But as with Bendis, sometimes he has good ideas but he doesn't follow through very well. We just end up with the boring cycle of Doom being attacked by the Hood.

* When we first read about Doom's mother, her crypt is in the lower levels of Castle Doom. What is really odd is that he has no idea what happened to his father's body according to Books of Doom.

IMO Doctor Doom with roots in the early days of the Silver Age ended with the panel of Doom laughing about his release from his past.*
    It was a really strong page, and the culmination of an incredible work by Hickman trying to write - I'll try more or less to quote him from his interview about the cancellation of the FF - the definitive/final story of the Reed-Victor polarity.

But we know the issues : at the end of the day aren't the toys supposed to be put back in the box.

Doom had some time to breathe a bit at least.

To be fair I think a huge amount of talent, imagination and boldness is needed both of the writer and the editorial to succeed in writing a all new all different Doom on a long term.

The deadlier misunderstood ironic Doom solo I'd want would be probably more fitted for an independent publisher. Lol. I really wish that Marvel will reprint Doom 2099 some day : I guess that it has the taste I'm looking for.

Anyway I wish Slott good luck. I liked Superior Spider-Man. I hope that he won't play the same game with Doom but will be even more clever and imaginative with something new.

(Hickman's days were truly real good times... Of course I wonder what the last issues of SHIELD will bring. I don't expect a hint of Doom, but who knows? )

(And I want Alan Moore to write Doom!)

It was a really strong page, and the culmination of an incredible work by Hickman trying to write - I'll try more or less to quote him from his interview about the cancellation of the FF - the definitive/final story of the Reed-Victor polarity.

But we know the issues : at the end of the day aren't the toys supposed to be put back in the box.

Doom had some time to breathe a bit at least.

To be fair I think a huge amount of talent, imagination and boldness is needed both of the writer and the editorial to succeed in writing a all new all different Doom on a long term.

The deadlier misunderstood ironic Doom solo I'd want would be probably more fitted for an independent publisher. Lol. I really wish that Marvel will reprint Doom 2099 some day : I guess that it has the taste I'm looking for.

Anyway I wish Slott good luck. I liked Superior Spider-Man. I hope that he won't play the same game with Doom but will be even more clever and imaginative with something new.

(Hickman's days were truly real good times... Of course I wonder what the last issues of SHIELD will bring. I don't expect a hint of Doom, but who knows? )

(And I want Alan Moore to write Doom!)
    I don't know if I'd want to read that one. I've only read his Killing Joke and Watchmen and I can't say I'm a huge fan. I really didn't like how he used the Barbara Gordon character in Killing Joke and these days he doesn't either. I've read some accounts of his League of Extraordinary Gentleman that raises some flags for me also. But I can't judge because I've not read it. Let's just say spoilers:
    a scene where Mr Hyde rapes the Invisible Man is not something I want to read
    end of spoilers

I hope you are able to track down Doom 2099. Only the Ellis run is collected in a TPB but I think you would like the world building that original writer John Francis Moore (who has dropped out of sight from the comic book world) along with artist Pat Broderick. I liked the supporting cast they created for Doom, esp Fortune who is the great grand daughter for faithful Boris. Broderick continued to work on the title with Ellis but I've read recent accounts where he angered by Warren Ellis's habit of killing off some characters. Another character I liked was Margaretta his lover/adversary

BTW, I as disappointed to see that Marvel Unlimited doesn't have the Excalibur issues with Doom so I'll have to look for my copies when I get a chance and do a little more scanning.

There's some previews out for Invincible Iron Man #599 in this link
    Well, at least the Hood didn't come breaking it up, although I suspect he may show up to and hold Amara hostage or something. So when exactly did they do the deed is what I can't figure out. IMO it's like cheating on the part of the writer if he doesn't give some kind of indication when they slept together. As for as what we've seen on panel, it could only have been when they were together in his home in Switzerland.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-20-2018 at 01:30 PM.