Page 103 of 337 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 5046
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Maybe whitewashing is a bit inflammatory because as you say, it isn't always so. Wasn't the actor Yul Brynner part Roma? He played a gunslinger of the American West in Magnificent Seven. But I do think that Marvel hasn't really played up that side of him in a while and I think that could be something interesting to explore. In my own amateur character analysis, I think the reason why his ego had grown to such proportions is because while growing up as a minority I am sure he and his tribe were treated as though they were inferior to the rest of the Latverians. To combat this he proabably became resentful and distrusting of anyone who was not a Roma and wanted to prove himself their equal. Nay, their better! After all, he did tell that to Namor in that dinner scene.."We were born better"

No matter what country a Roma goes, they are always considered outsiders. His family probably never had a permanent "home address" spending part of their time in Hungary or other countries. This is one part of Unthinkable I liked anyway. Waid has him remembering how his family was always on the move.

Having reread SW#2 again for like the 5th time, it just continues to bring tears of joy to my face that at last, after years of Magneto this, or Loki this, or Thanos this, its Doom's time to shine and what I love is that its probably Marvel's biggest crossover epic event in decades and at the center of it is not just Doom, but probably one of the most character driven epics in a long time...Hickman is the MAN...and frankly, I will cry twice: once Doom is dethroned/defeated and when Hickman's final issue of SW comes out

Quote Originally Posted by Doom Answers to No Master View Post
    Having reread SW#2 again for like the 5th time, it just continues to bring tears of joy to my face that at last, after years of Magneto this, or Loki this, or Thanos this, its Doom's time to shine and what I love is that its probably Marvel's biggest crossover epic event in decades and at the center of it is not just Doom, but probably one of the most character driven epics in a long time...Hickman is the MAN...and frankly, I will cry twice: once Doom is dethroned/defeated and when Hickman's final issue of SW comes out
    Yeah, I'm going to be sad to see Hickman move on to other things and taking a break from Marvel stuff for a while, unless he's changed his mind. But I think he will be working on his creator owned works only for a while.

And SW is turning into a monster seller so lets see if it has legs as the say in Hollywood. I know the digital sales of SW #1 were pretty high. Even though I have print version, I may buy these myself
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-14-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Well IF Marvel/Disney EVER gets F4 back, pay Hickman whatever he wants to write the screenplay for it...we could potentially have an epic comic film if that was the case and we know Doom would get the royal treatment under his watchful eye

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    question to doom fans.

do you consider this whitewashing Victor http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...;s_Crusade.png

in children's crusade...... we know Doom is Roma, but he has light skin here/looks Caucasian
    Marvel has never done other than white ethnicity well, historically speaking. Doom was introduced early on as a child of gypsies, but was too often associated with the Nazi's because of his geographical location (somewhere over there in a foreign country), his germanic sounding name, and the ease at which it explains his villainy, two of which are wrong. And which is why some of us get ticked off when he's painted with blue eyes. But also, some of the early colorists had a really limited pallet. Those who've only known comics since the 80's and 90's don't get this, but there was a time when it really was "four-color comics" and there was one color for skin tone that was this pasty, peachy thing.

However, gypsies have a huge range of phenotypes that aren't just brown skin black hair brown eyes, due to the fact that they are well traveled throughout Europe, and it's reasonable to suspect that they mixed with the native people. So I don't agree that he should be caucasian white, I give Marvel a pass for making him marginally ethnic.

Finally, the picture you posted isn't a fair representation of Doom across the board. As much as I loved his detailed artwork and the coloring in Children's Crusade, Jim Cheung, the artist, draws the same face. Every single time.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHarry View Post
    I strongly suspect that Hickman has big things planned for Doom in New Avengers.

Obviously it will be in Dooms interest to put an end to the incursions, but I'm pretty sure that his solutions would be far more drastic, so whether he joins the New Avengers, or his solution to the problem puts him on a collision course with the team, remains to be seen.

Looking forward to seeing him interact with Black Swan.
    Prophetic lol nice

Iīve just read SW #2 and there is something that I donīt understand: in Doomīs world, Valeria is his child? I say this because she talked about her dad and I donīt know if she was talking about Reed or Doom.
    And what happened to Red Skull? He was in Latveria, trapped by Doom, wasnīt he?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
    Iīve just read SW #2 and there is something that I donīt understand: in Doomīs world, Valeria is his child? I say this because she talked about her dad and I donīt know if she was talking about Reed or Doom.
    And what happened to Red Skull? He was in Latveria, trapped by Doom, wasnīt he?
    You know, you're right about the Red Skull. What the heck did happen there? Do you suppose with Professor X's power that Secret Wars is......naahhh. I hope not. You should bring that up in the SW#2 discussion thread. That would be a crazy swerve. But I do know there is a separate Red Skull SW comic coming out.

As for Valeria, yes that is puzzling that right now it looks like Susan and Valeria are his family. Are they playing along with the "story" of Battleworld? I am looking forward to issue #3 and I hope we get more of the "behind the curtain" stuff. As I said in another post, there might be a reason why way back when Doom first found the Molecule Man they were talking about each other's story. Owen's origin is now at question because it appears it was not just an accident at a nuclear power plant that gave him his powers and the Beyonders had a hand in it. The Molecule Men were used as their time bombs throughout the multiverse.

One one front, the battle with the Beyonders may not be over and Doom is still fighting it. His appearance is brief in issue #2 so it's hard to get a gauge but I got the sense that he was distracted or perhaps even being directed by Sue. One of my theories is that much like in Secret Wars, Doom is holding all of what is left of reality in place and it takes a lot out of him to do that. Maybe Stephen knows this and he and the others are helping to keep him focused on that.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    And which is why some of us get ticked off when he's painted with blue eyes. But also, some of the early colorists had a really limited pallet. Those who've only known comics since the 80's and 90's don't get this, but there was a time when it really was "four-color comics" and there was one color for skin tone that was this pasty, peachy thing.
    It always puzzled me as to why the switch back and forth between brown and blue eyes. i prefer blue, and it has nothing to do with my own eye color...

...at all.

Nope.

Im good with that.

Also, in regards to Valeria and Sue. Moral support. Valeria is very close to Victor and since Axis things have changed in Doom's demeanor.. I have no doubt being god king now takes a great deal and with that, a huge amount of stress from PEONS THAT SHOULD BE DESTROYED TO ENSURE DOOM'S RUL- *ahem* I digress...Sue has always been (at least in relation to Victor) the only other woman who was able to reason with him. It would make sense that with all Doom has done in the past (now up to this point) that he could have saved Sue and Valeria from the incursion and given them (and "trusted" others) positions of power to ensure everything is running to his design? I could be off base, but that's how it seems to me. I mean hell, hes got a small army of Thors for cryin' out loud.

Awesome Alex Ross cover for Secret Wars #4 (contains spoiler of Secret Wars #2):

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/...63a2a8f363.jpg

Oh, an Alex Ross cover with Doom...those are pretty rare. I can't recall him doing many of those, except maybe some of those Earth X ones years ago.
    And Doom is back in green. I like that on Battleworld he went back to the Future Foundation white.

Quote Originally Posted by Manitobamando View Post
    It always puzzled me as to why the switch back and forth between brown and blue eyes. i prefer blue, and it has nothing to do with my own eye color...

...at all.

Nope.

Im good with that.

Also, in regards to Valeria and Sue. Moral support. Valeria is very close to Victor and since Axis things have changed in Doom's demeanor.. I have no doubt being god king now takes a great deal and with that, a huge amount of stress from PEONS THAT SHOULD BE DESTROYED TO ENSURE DOOM'S RUL- *ahem* I digress...Sue has always been (at least in relation to Victor) the only other woman who was able to reason with him. It would make sense that with all Doom has done in the past (now up to this point) that he could have saved Sue and Valeria from the incursion and given them (and "trusted" others) positions of power to ensure everything is running to his design? I could be off base, but that's how it seems to me. I mean hell, hes got a small army of Thors for cryin' out loud.
    I'm not surprised he saved them both either but I bet he put Ben and Johnny somewhere dangerous. Ben is the other FF member he holds a long standing grudge for busting up his hands years ago in FF#40 and as for Johnny he just thinks he's one step up from a chimpanzee.

Now that we have the latest SW cover (and it is a beauty) from Alex Ross, I noticed something about that and a panel inside of SW#2. In this panel, Ribic is drawing Doom as wearing gloves and not the usual armored gaunlets. Now we see the same thing on the cover for SW#4. If it were just Ribic I would think it was a design choice. Doom is in the Future Foundation White but Ross's cover is using the standard green tunic and cloak...but he's still wearing gloves. Did he just pick up from Ribic's design or is there a reason for the switch to gloves??

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Now that we have the latest SW cover (and it is a beauty) from Alex Ross, I noticed something about that and a panel inside of SW#2. In this panel, Ribic is drawing Doom as wearing gloves and not the usual armored gaunlets. Now we see the same thing on the cover for SW#4. If it were just Ribic I would think it was a design choice. Doom is in the Future Foundation White but Ross's cover is using the standard green tunic and cloak...but he's still wearing gloves. Did he just pick up from Ribic's design or is there a reason for the switch to gloves??

....In that Ross pic, the golden color kinda make em look like Infinity Gauntlets....is this by chance referencing Doom getting two in Hickman's FF run? Or is it just total coincidence since we don't see any actual gems on em. No clue.

Anyways, two questions for you all: Since there is no Secret Wars main title this week (I think), what are you picking up this week? Only one I know I am picking up is Planet Hulk, but I am considering grabbing A-Force and Ultimate End.

Second, what are some "Underrated Doom Stories" for you? Ones that you really love or like but perhaps don't get the attention like some of the thread favorites like Triumph and Torment or Doom Stealing the Power Cosmic. I would love to know your opinions, might help me track down some notable stories I missed in my attempt to read all the great Doom stories (Even some not so great ones, LOOKING AT YOU UNTHINKABLE).

Though he was perhaps a little overly snarky, I really enjoyed Doom's appearance in Brubaker's Winter Soldier solo series in 2010.

And in regards to the gloves/gauntlets. My friend and I were talking about it, and I said it was because Doom wants people to actually kiss his hands. Godhood has to have gone to his head a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom Answers to No Master View Post
    Well IF Marvel/Disney EVER gets F4 back, pay Hickman whatever he wants to write the screenplay for it...we could potentially have an epic comic film if that was the case and we know Doom would get the royal treatment under his watchful eye
    all due respect, he has done well with doom but a movie?
    well i dont want to sit in the cinema for 12 hours :P
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)