Page 228 of 337 FirstFirst ... 128178218224225226227228229230231232238278328 ... LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 5046

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks for the background on the Maker, Abe. I'm going to have to look those issues up. So Ultimate Fallout was another mini series or just a story arc?
    You'll find the answers here : http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=248991

Only a few pages by Hickman, even less about the Maker (I discovered the character when he appeared in New Avengers !)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    My favorite also. So funny. In Latveria kids have to sleep well at night and to go to school. And as a teacher, I really would like to send a few parents in (re)educational 'seminars' in Latveria. For the better good of their children of course.

What I liked a lot in this issue, is how Bendis managed to show us the many facets of Victor. The full scene in the helicarrier was good. The one with 'Karadick' too (even if the wordplay for this name is quite bad...). The kids perfect. The 'Dark Iron Doom' and his spell nice. And the last page was well written : with a lot of emotion in very few words.

And great art too...
    Once again, I think Maleev is doing a lot of the storytelling here. The scripted parts were quite short and left me wanting for more. I do give the issue a positive rating overall but I do wish Bendis weren't so slow at telling us the story. I feel like I read maybe half of a comic. I did happen to pick up Civil War: The Oath and that one, written by Nick Spencer, was very heavy on the dialogue. Doom is not exactly laconic and was known to be quite talkative in the past. Since he mostly wore the mask and full armor it was the best way for him to express himself.

But the positives are there like you mentioned. Bendis does give him a nice powerset in this series....the teleportation for one is a great way to revisit something he did way back in Fantastic Four #10 but seldom revisited. It was partially science and partially magic as he explained back then but now it seems like it totally a sorcerous skill. One wonders how he would stack up against Strange these days. The Nightmare spell, wasn't something like that done to him back in Millar's run, maybe by Johnny's girl friend Psionics? Nice to see him employ that.

I like the introduction of new characters like Karadick and as yet unseen Professor Angela Kror. I hope Bendis doesn't abandon them and maybe we'll see him building a supporting cast. I still want to see Kristoff appear too. I like that Bendis shows how paternal Doom was with those children. He's a very stern father! No nonsense will be tolerated!

Found a nice God Emperor Doom portrait on Maleev's site

BANNED

How was Doom in the new Fantastic Four movie? He looked terrible from the previews and I refused to watch it.

I watched it when it came to HBO fairly quickly last fall. The final version of him was terrible as you say. I have to agree with some funny online assessments that he looked like a crash test dummy that had been in a particularly bad accident. While I was amused it also disappointed me that once again instead of a version of Doom that would impress the uninitiated film goer, we get one that they either gets mocked or looked at with the thought that "What's the big deal about this guy?" Loki, Thanos, the Red Skull and Doctor Octopus IMO have all made a successful transition to film. I could name a few lesser known ones like Crossbones or Baron Strucker, even if the latter's part was rather small.

There were a few positives. As long as they were going for a cast that represented the main characters in their younger days, Toby Kebell was a good choice. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately in his case) from accounts I've read by him recently, Kebell didn't have anything do with the reshoots portraying Doom after he was brought back Planet Zero transformed. When I read that it made me wonder just what the heck was the movie like before the reshoots. Maybe it's best we don't know.

As for Kebell's performance, IMO it wasn't that bad when you consider this is from his younger days, around college age. I get the feeling from the film that his character is much older than the others. Victor was being mentored by Dr. Storm and had done most of the work on developing the Quantum Gate before Reed is recruited. Something caused him to go off and leave the project but IIRC no specifics where given but he kind of wrecked the place before he left. One of the reshoots they added later is restoring his name from Domachev to Von Doom. We see someone handling his dossier when Dr Storm tells his sponsors that he wants him brought back to the project. The name on the dossier is Von Doom and Latveria is mentioned. One day I will have to see if I can get a screen cap of that when it was shown briefly on the screen.

When he does come back to join the research, once again it's clear that the writers have added this unrequited romance with Susan as in the first movie. Please, let's not revisit this again if by some miracle there is another attempt at a Fantastic Four movie. Victor does look over Reed's school project attempt at a similar gateway and dismisses it as rudimentary and not much better than a high school baking soda volcano science project. This part at least is an improvement. But once Kebell is out of the picture, it's all downhill. Oh, and there is one scene where the disappointed explorers, Johnny, Reed and Victor all get drunk after their project is taken away from them. Victor it seems carries around a small pocket flask of something pretty potent, vodka maybe. But it gets them all a bit buzzed.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-31-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Doom gets another front-page article with Brian Cronin's "Can't Cross Over: How Doctor Doom Was in Secret Wars While Still Dead.".
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Funny, I just posted a bit about the Doctor Doom/Secret Wars time loop in the Secret Wars thread about a week ago. And Brian is right in his assumption that Hickman used the Byrne story to explain it since Hickman has said in interviews that he bought the Fantastic Four DVD that came out from Gitcorp some years back that had over 500 issues and annuals of the Fantastic Four. Those panels about the Beyonder and time travel had to stand out.

Thanks for linking to that article Ray!

That's one of my favorite pages from that series! I think Scot Eaton did a great job with Doom. I wish he was still at Marvel.

Who is the artist on the last one in your gallery page, on the bottom right It has no artist credited. It's quite good. I love the Epting one too. You have a nice collection there! My only other Doom pick ups are a page the Children's Crusade, a page from the Fantastic Four Nuff Said issue (Tom Grummett) and a page from Fantastic Four #500. The Fantastic Four one is by the late Mike Wieringo and it has Doom, Reed and Doctor Strange. I'll have to scan that one in but here is the page by Tom Grummett. If you can see the bottom, he signed it "to an honorary Latverian"

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1034791

this one? It's Stjepan Sejic from Top Cow

Yes, that's the one. Thanks. I've never seen his work before.

BMB did a Q&A at Midtown Comics

https://www.facebook.com/midtowncomi...7910275220897/

He mentioned a flashback scene of Victor and Ben Grimm in college coming up, I didn't have an opportunity to watch the whole thing yet, but there could be more Doom related stuff for you guys.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Thanks! I'll check it out

edited to add: Got to watch up to about the 23 minute mark, which is when he talked about Infamous Doom. The video was very slow loading for me. I got a kick out of Bendis saying that with Doom, Maleev has found the character he resembles the most.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-02-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks! I'll check it out

edited to add: Got to watch up to about the 23 minute mark, which is when he talked about Infamous Doom. The video was very slow loading for me. I got a kick out of Bendis saying that with Doom, Maleev has found the character he resembles the most.
    Oh, I didn't know it was that late in the video, when I watched I was preparing dinner so I kept missing most of it, sorry about that.

As for the video itself, I had problems with the volume the first time around, so something must be going on.

But a Pepper/Rescue confrontation and a flashback to look forward to in future issues, can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Oh, I didn't know it was that late in the video, when I watched I was preparing dinner so I kept missing most of it, sorry about that.

As for the video itself, I had problems with the volume the first time around, so something must be going on.

But a Pepper/Rescue confrontation and a flashback to look forward to in future issues, can't wait.
    Yeah, he said the flashback to the college days would be in issue #5. I always like to see Reed, Ben and Victor as classmates. And we are overdue with Pepper since she was on the cover several issues ago.

Fantastic Member

Well I am enjoying new the new series so far . Here's a pic of the tattoo I got done today 16473552_1648432605462433_5759111814965407513_n.jpg

Fantastic Member

By the way that's Ironman's hand over lapping .