Page 257 of 337 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267307 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 5046

Because Doom is also a scientist. Same reason she already knew about Mockingbird before they met in the first issue of her solo.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I see. So at least some parts of the world respect his standing as a scientist. Where was Nadia born? I don't know much about her history.

She was raised in Moscow. More precisely in the Red Room! No surprise that Doom was a subject of studies

I would add that as Hank Victor is known to have some skills when it comes to shrinking physics and deadly robots. So maybe Victor could represent also a kinda father figure for her... And he built a time machine!
    Last edited by Abe; 06-08-2017 at 08:48 AM.

That's right, I forgot she and Doom discussed the Red Room last issue. Maybe Doom is more popular in Eastern Europe as sort of a hero or celebrity of sorts.

Anti-imperialist highly cultivated playboy!

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Anti-imperialist highly cultivated playboy!
    I recall this one mini series years ago that Marvel experimented with. It was in B/W and came out weekly. It was done by Chuck Austin of all people and IIRC he also did the digital art in addition to the story. Anyway, I recall in that one Victor was Jewish and there was some incident where the paparazzi where trying to get a scandalous photo of him in a compromising position and state of undress shall we say with a European princess. I think it was mentioned in passing or something.

Excellent! ( And that's another nude Doom story!)

I still have that series packed away somewhere. Maybe I will try and look for them. It seemed to take place in alternate universe. Of course, it was Chuck Austen's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Yes, I also thought the One Nation Under Doom arc wrapped up too quickly. But that could have been because of behind the scenes issues going on at the time. I first read about it on Doomscribe's old website devoted to everything Doom.
    Yeah, Ellis himself said that they told him to wrap up One Nation Under Doom 5 issues before what he intended. But it wasn't so much the rushing of that arc's end that upset me, it was that the following arc, where he gets his revenge on Herod, just wasn't very good. The whole Captain America 2099 sub-plot pretty much had no pay-off too, Ellis also said that he intended to do something with it but they took him off the team before he did. After that the series just kinda fizzled out and got cancelled before it hit another stride.

Here's the source for the Ellis quotes if anyone's interested.
    http://www.doom2099.com/25/march_doo...own_words.html

Thanks for that link. I remember now that quote about Ellis using an untapped part of Doom and that is his revolutionary past. I have to find another quote he had on his old website and that is he thought of Doom as a morally damaged revolutionary. Very early on, he was rebelling against the ruling class of Latveria. This was before the recruiter from the United States found him. This is what he had to do all over again when he "returned" to Latveria in the year 2099. But he used a much more sophisticated network of allies like the Panther's Rage from Wakanda, Sharp Blue, etc. When he was young, he just had the few male members of his tribe but he still caused a lot of mischief.

Yeah, and one of the things I found most impressive about him in 2099 is just how quickly he composes himself and draws out a game plan to bring about revolution to Latveria all over again. It really made him look like someone with a century's worth of experience, someone for whom taking over countries has become mere routine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheVillain View Post
    Yeah, and one of the things I found most impressive about him in 2099 is just how quickly he composes himself and draws out a game plan to bring about revolution to Latveria all over again. It really made him look like someone with a century's worth of experience, someone for whom taking over countries has become mere routine.
    I agree, those first few issues of Doom 2099 really showed how ruthlessly effective Doom could be when he isn't constantly being hindered by random superheros. Tiger Wylde was never a match for Doom and everyone in the story knew it... except for Tiger Wylde himself. He was Doom's first foe in the 2099 era and ultimately little more than a warm-up as Doom got back into the swing of things. Of course, this first story arc was really all about redefining Doom as a character; Doom more than anyone else thrived in the dark cyberpunk 2099 universe and this was clear right from the start.

And even though he's known in the current era for his villainy in the future world of 2099 IIRC he had faded away to almost legendary status. Compared to the ruthless megcorps, he represented a better option to them. I recall John Francis Moore had given him memory lapses that were later addressed in Ellis run when we finally meet Margaretta. I don't think we ever found out who those shadowy opponents were that severely injured him so that she had to put in stasis for a while.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-09-2017 at 06:57 AM.

BANNED

And even though he's known in the current era for his villainy in the future world of 2099 IIRC he had faded away to almost legendary status. Compared to the ruthless megcorps, he represented a better option to them. I recall John Francis Moore had given him memory lapses that were later addressed in Ellis run when we finally meet Margaretta. I don't think we ever found out who those shadowy opponents were that severely injured him so that she had to put in stasis for a while.
    It's true that we never found out what injured Doom before the events of 2099. Reading that scene, when the injured Doom teleports to Margaretta's lab, it almost looked like Doom's new armour had simply overloaded during a test run. Presumably then Doom was able to fix that design flaw when he started wearing that suit of armour full-time in later issues of the book.

It just looks so cool... I wish I could read em one day!

... But I fear that the Doom 2099 Omnibus won't be scheduled before long... if it is...