Page 258 of 337 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 5046
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    It's true that we never found out what injured Doom before the events of 2099. Reading that scene, when the injured Doom teleports to Margaretta's lab, it almost looked like Doom's new armour had simply overloaded during a test run. Presumably then Doom was able to fix that design flaw when he started wearing that suit of armour full-time in later issues of the book.
    I really liked some of the enhancements in the 2099 version. Moore and Ellis added some nice new tech for those times. I know in Moore's run, his armor enabled him to phase through a mountain. I think that's also when the nanotech was added, during the initial build done early on when the cyborg Tiger Wylde defeated him in their first encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    It just looks so cool... I wish I could read em one day!

... But I fear that the Doom 2099 Omnibus won't be scheduled before long... if it is...
    I would love to see that one day, all in one volume. We at least got the Warren Ellis run in a TPB. Did you miss out on that one? I thought you had a friend looking for a copy for you here in the states. I can just read that whole line over and over. Having it in a book is so much better than taking them out of the bag & board. I hope they at least digitize more issues one day on Marvel Unlimited. They have only done one and that is because of a minor crossover with Fall of the Hammer, a sort of mini event for the 2099 line.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I really liked some of the enhancements in the 2099 version. Moore and Ellis added some nice new tech for those times. I know in Moore's run, his armor enabled him to phase through a mountain. I think that's also when the nanotech was added, during the initial build done early on when the cyborg Tiger Wylde defeated him in their first encounter.

I would love to see that one day, all in one volume. We at least got the Warren Ellis run in a TPB. Did you miss out on that one? I thought you had a friend looking for a copy for you here in the states. I can just read that whole line over and over. Having it in a book is so much better than taking them out of the bag & board. I hope they at least digitize more issues one day on Marvel Unlimited. They have only done one and that is because of a minor crossover with Fall of the Hammer, a sort of mini event for the 2099 line.
    Not a friend : a shop owner - but last year I gave him my command list a little bit too late and he also said that he lost it too (Hmm...). There's was a lot of Doom related stuffs in it!...

To be honest I didn't made a new one this year. I don't think that it's too late yet, but I already spent too much money on other books : for Marvel, mostly Daredevil and Spider Man from Silver and Bronze Age. I needed to get back to those other childhood fond memories - enhanced by the joy of filling the holes in the stories I read as a kid and the pleasure to enjoy them in English . BTW I'm glad that DC will also publish a Fourth World Omnibus at the end of the year (Mr Miracle not included, but the whole run re-printed in a TPB). I absolutely need to read those Kirby wonders! But I need to budget it... In 2018 I probably will try to 'complete' the Doom collection a bit more : I honestly think that I have purchased most of the other stuffs I 'needed'.

TBH I have the secret hope that Infamous Iron Man's incredible success will give Marvel the idea to make that Omnibus. Or to simply reprint the Ellis run BTW and publish all the 23 first issues in a first volume of the 'Complete Collection'. It would make sense. Another solution : publishing the whole run in two Epic Collection volumes. That would make perfect sense too. Doom is not a bad-seller. Won't 2018 mark the 25th anniversary of the 2099 line? They could give it a try then!

And only one issue available on Marvel Unlimited? What a pity! Another reason not to go digital
    Last edited by Abe; 06-10-2017 at 06:07 PM.

BANNED

It's shocking they haven't had a crossover where Doom and Sinister would cross paths over Franklin Richards.

I can't recall too many times, if any, when Reed went to Charles about issues with his son. It's not like he's always handled the situation very well, the worst being when he shut Franklin down for a while. This incident caused a big rift in the marriage of the Richards also.

Doom tried to exploit Franklin's power several times and Franklin's avatar "bedeviled" Doom for a while when he was living on Franklin's HR planet. The relationship there is certainly not as friendly as with his little sister Val. One would think that Doom would have tried to use his power siphon device on Franklin like he's done with the Silver Surfer. I'm surprised he's not used it on some of the more powerful mutants like Magneto. He isn't as unscrupulous currently so he might be in the unaccustomed position of defending Franklin from an attack by Sinister.

Not a friend : a shop owner - but last year I gave him my command list a little bit too late and he also said that he lost it too (Hmm...). There's was a lot of Doom related stuffs in it!...

To be honest I didn't made a new one this year. I don't think that it's too late yet, but I already spent too much money on other books : for Marvel, mostly Daredevil and Spider Man from Silver and Bronze Age. I needed to get back to those other childhood fond memories - enhanced by the joy of filling the holes in the stories I read as a kid and the pleasure to enjoy them in English . BTW I'm glad that DC will also publish a Fourth World Omnibus at the end of the year (Mr Miracle not included, but the whole run re-printed in a TPB). I absolutely need to read those Kirby wonders! But I need to budget it... In 2018 I probably will try to 'complete' the Doom collection a bit more : I honestly think that I have purchased most of the other stuffs I 'needed'.

TBH I have the secret hope that Infamous Iron Man's incredible success will give Marvel the idea to make that Omnibus. Or to simply reprint the Ellis run BTW and publish all the 23 first issues in a first volume of the 'Complete Collection'. It would make sense. Another solution : publishing the whole run in two Epic Collection volumes. That would make perfect sense too. Doom is not a bad-seller. Won't 2018 mark the 25th anniversary of the 2099 line? They could give it a try then!

And only one issue available on Marvel Unlimited? What a pity! Another reason not to go digital

I think we will see more and more added at some point. I have to keep an eye on their new releases page. They always let you know on Wednesdays, just like with the new releases. They added many issues of Marvel Fanfare, I comic I couldn't find very often back in those days. I think there is a story in that title that deals with Kristoff as ruler of Latveria and a contest with Iron Man.

Now that you mention it, the first issue of Spider-man 2099 came out in November of 1992 so this would be the 25th anniversary of the line. Doom 2099 #1 came out a couple of months later in January 1993.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-12-2017 at 10:59 AM.

I can't recall too many times, if any, when Reed went to Charles about issues with his son. It's not like he's always handled the situation very well, the worst being when he shut Franklin down for a while. This incident caused a big rift in the marriage of the Richards also.

Doom tried to exploit Franklin's power several times and Franklin's avatar "bedeviled" Doom for a while when he was living on Franklin's HR planet. The relationship there is certainly not as friendly as with his little sister Val. One would think that Doom would have tried to use his power siphon device on Franklin like he's done with the Silver Surfer. I'm surprised he's not used it on some of the more powerful mutants like Magneto. He isn't as unscrupulous currently so he might be in the unaccustomed position of defending Franklin from an attack by Sinister.
    I don't know Sinister very well and, for example, I don't know if and how in his schemes he intended to deal with the Phoenix Force. In other worlds does he wants to usurp ultimate powers upon reality? Once again I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems to me that Franklin is perhaps a little bit too much to handle for him : the kid is a subject of concern for the likes of Mephisto, Galactus and the Celestials!

... Of course that put him exactly in Doom's domain of action... I haven't read Waid's run, but Victor wasn't always that bad with Frankin when he sent him to Hell : most often the kid had his power. He destroyed the ponies he promised him once - but that's understandable. Ponies!

Iron Maiden, I hesitated a lonf time before using Maleev's Pieta for the cover contest of the week. I was secretly hoping that you had in your collection a forgotten cover with Werner and Vic...

Anyway I almost used the coverof FF 141 - one of my favorite FF covers, really!

The 'atomic kid from the village of the damned' version of Franklin fascinated me when I was a kid!

Now I can really see Victor coming for help with his cosmic power siphoning device. It could have been a fun story... Would the FF have thanked him then? I guess that the authors weren't ready yet to play with the good doctor in the family's soap opera...
    Last edited by Abe; 06-12-2017 at 03:14 PM.

I think we will see more and more added at some point. I have to keep an eye on their new releases page. They always let you know on Wednesdays, just like with the new releases. They added many issues of Marvel Fanfare, I comic I couldn't find very often back in those days. I think there is a story in that title that deals with Kristoff as ruler of Latveria and a contest with Iron Man.

Now that you mention it, the first issue of Spider-man 2099 came out in November of 1992 so this would be the 25th anniversary of the line. Doom 2099 #1 came out a couple of months late in January 1993.
    I lurked a bit on the marvelmasterworks site forum this week-end, and I can't say that the 2099 line is one of the priorities of the excellent posters there... I'm not sure either that nowadays Marvel cares that much for the anniversaries... But who knows? I'll keep hoping!

And if the whole run is published digitally, I will definitively consider subscribing somewhere... (Hey, next year I will have to correct 'dematerialized' exam papers... It's terrifying me... But I will need a valid internet connection... So I'll probably use it also for something important )

I don't know Sinister very well and, for example, I don't know if and how in his schemes he intended to deal with the Phoenix Force. In other worlds does he wants to usurp ultimate powers upon reality? Once again I don't know the answer to that question, but it seems to me that Franklin is perhaps a little bit too much to handle for him : the kid is a subject of concern for the likes of Mephisto, Galactus and the Celestials!

... Of course that put him exactly in Doom's domain of action... I haven't read Waid's run, but Victor wasn't always that bad with Frankin when he sent him to Hell : most often the kid had his power. He destoyed the ponies he promised him once - but that's understandable. Ponies!

Iron Maiden, I hesitated a lonf time before using Maleev's Pieta for the cover contest of the week. I was secretly hoping that you had in your collection a forgotten cover with Werner and Vic...

The 'atomic kid from the village of the damned' version of Franklin fascinated me when I was a kid!

Now I can really see Victor coming for help with his cosmic power siphoning device. It could have been a fun story... Would the FF have thanked him then? I guess that the authors weren't ready yet to play with the good doctor in the family's soap opera...
    But later they did go there with Doom becoming the Cosmic Midwife for the birth of Valeria.

They did start down a path of making Doom less over the top evil with Gary Conway's story in Astonishing Tales #8 and later with his Sub-Mariner story. It makes one wonder what influence Stan had back then. I was reading an interview on the 2099 fan site linked a page or two back and saw an interview there with John Francis Moore. He recounts how when he was one of the candidates to write Doom 2099 he had to go to a meeting at Marvel with the editors. He says Stan Lee was there. Stan does go around these days saying that he doesn't consider Doom a villain and one wonders just what his input back then. Later on, he would not be as involved with Marvel's publishing side of the business.

Now going forward, I think that is why quite a few Doom fans think Waid went too far with Doom in Unthinkable. Franklin came out of it very traumatized (he was sent to Hell...again) and needed to go to therapy to help deal with the things he saw in Hell. We the readers never saw very much of it. At this point in time, Franklin's powers were dormant again. Then there was the torture sequence with Ben and so forth.

About the contest...I did get a kick out of your using the Pieta homage cover.....it's almost subversive when you consider the religions implications. Wow, I am drawing a blank about a cover featuring Victor and his father. I guess I was in a Kirby mood this week so used the the Thor cover with Odin instead.

I lurked a bit on the marvelmasterworks site forum this week-end, and I can't say that the 2099 line is one of the priorities of the excellent posters there... I'm not sure either that nowadays Marvel cares that much for the anniversaries... But who knows? I'll keep hoping!

And if the whole run is published digitally, I will definitively consider subscribing somewhere... (Hey, next year I will have to correct 'dematerialized' exam papers... It's terrifying me... But I will need a valid internet connection... So I'll probably use it also for something important )
    I hope you adjust to that. One of my younger sisters teaches younger students and she never does like doing the computer entry part of it.
    Speaking of anniversaries, I was disappointed when they never really did anything for Doom's 50th anniversary back in 2011. They were doing a special birthday article on Marvel's site for various characters around that time but I never saw his come up.

I think sometimes the members of that Masterworks site do provide input to Marvel. I think there's was the idea to come up with the Marvel Rarities Masterwork. I think that was the first time MSH #20, his first solo story, every appeared in a book format. And all of the Astonishing Tales issues too.

BANNED

... Of course that put him exactly in Doom's domain of action... I haven't read Waid's run, but Victor wasn't always that bad with Frankin when he sent him to Hell : most often the kid had his power. He destoyed the ponies he promised him once - but that's understandable. Ponies!

Nathaniel Essex aka Sinister is the world's foremost authority, off the books, on mutant genetics. He'll manipulate any and all to get to his end game. A mutant with Franklin's power level easily should of been on his radar years ago....but they never cross paths.

When Beast went to all the top scientific geniuses to find a cure for Wanda's decimation of mutantkind..he had Doom and Sinister on the split screen and that's about the only time they've interacted in the 616 I know of....Sinister isn't into world domination or controlling the Phoenix power. He's into having freedom for his genetic experimentation and will probably kill anyone to keep that type of freedom.

He has made enemies out of Magneto over the mutant massacre and with Apocalypse over using Cable to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Nathaniel Essex aka Sinister is the world's foremost authority, off the books, on mutant genetics. He'll manipulate any and all to get to his end game. A mutant with Franklin's power level easily should of been on his radar years ago....but they never cross paths.

When Beast went to all the top scientific geniuses to find a cure for Wanda's decimation of mutantkind..he had Doom and Sinister on the split screen and that's about the only time they've interacted in the 616 I know of....Sinister isn't into world domination or controlling the Phoenix power. He's into having freedom for his genetic experimentation and will probably kill anyone to keep that type of freedom.

He has made enemies out of Magneto over the mutant massacre and with Apocalypse over using Cable to kill him.
    So Hank had a teleconference with both Doom and Sinister after House of M? This must have been before it was revealed that he and Wanda were summoning the Life Force to restore her children....even though he was in Hell at that time. I like that he was "involved" with Wanda but I didn't agree with Heinberg's Children's Crusade reveal that he was in some way responsible for "Disassembled."

Doctor Doom has a time machine, so it is possible for him to be in more than one place at once. Multiple versions of Kang the Conqueror can appear in the same place. Doom could have used the time machine to place himself the places he needed to be while he was in Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Doctor Doom has a time machine, so it is possible for him to be in more than one place at once. Multiple versions of Kang the Conqueror can appear in the same place. Doom could have used the time machine to place himself the places he needed to be while he was in Hell.
    But Disassembled was so long ago publication-wise that it wasn't logical to insert him in the narrative by using a scene the readers never saw at the time, i.e. Wanda and Doom summoning the Life Force. I find those kind of retcons a cheat to those who read the story at the time it came out. Of course, Bendis never bothered to explain her behavior very well either.

BANNED

So Hank had a teleconference with both Doom and Sinister after House of M? This must have been before it was revealed that he and Wanda were summoning the Life Force to restore her children....even though he was in Hell at that time. I like that he was "involved" with Wanda but I didn't agree with Heinberg's Children's Crusade reveal that he was in some way responsible for "Disassembled."
    Yeah..this was when Wanda couldn't be found right before Children's Crusade. He found her and she didn't recognize him..just like she didn't recognize Hawkeye..until the robot retcon in CC was told of that encounter. We figured that because they couldn't let it be canon that Wanda and Clint had sex in her amnesiac state.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Yeah..this was when Wanda couldn't be found right before Children's Crusade. He found her and she didn't recognize him..just like she didn't recognize Hawkeye..until the robot retcon in CC was told of that encounter. We figured that because they couldn't let it be canon that Wanda and Clint had sex in her amnesiac state.
    Yes, I think sometimes writers can have a blindspot about certain elements of their stories. I think they may have gotten a few letters about it. I know it was discussed here at the time and many mentioned that they thought it was a poor story choice to show Hawkeye bedding her with her recent past issues of mental instability. Another Case in point: Marcus and Carol Danvers. That story is just creepy no matter how you put it.

I was relieved that Heinberg's story didn't go there. I was disappointed that subsequent stories with Wanda showed that she was angry about their affair and that he only wanted to exploit her powers. Yet that's not how Heinberg's story ended. I felt that Logan was right and Victor was taking the fall for her. I think Wanda knew it too.