Page 263 of 337 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273313 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 5046
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think Marvel is being a bit sneaky with crazy ol' Ike Perlmutter. We are reading a Doom book right now but it's title refers to Iron Man so it gets a pass. I just find it odd that this doesn't seem to apply to Ben or Johnny appearing in other titles or Doom showing in first in Invincible Iron Man with Stark. It could be because they're pretty certain Ike never bothers to even look at the line let alone read anything.

I really don't mind there being some kind of relationship with IronHeart/Riri. Yeah, she's a bit of a Mary Sue but I understand what Marvel is trying to accomplish here and that is to bring in more readers. Whether or not it's a fool's quest is another issue. When you look back, Stan did the same thing when expanding the Marvel line. Doom shows up to tangle with the teen-aged Spider-Man or Spider-Man guesting in the FF. Marvel can't keep appealing to just older readers. You have to expand your customer base and the print media has some problems with sales being rather flat. We still don't know the digital sales so we don't get the whole picture there. IronHeart's solo title is doing OK, but again the digital $$ are an unknown and the same can be said for Infamous Iron Man.

Getting back to Victor being in a sort of mentor role I still say why not? It's kind of like he could put together a sort of Future Foundation of his own with her, Nadia and maybe Kristoff. I think for the most part Bendis has been pretty respectful in writing Doom and I am waiting to see how he handles this situation with this "Cynthia von Doom" doppelanger. I still don't think she's genuine...at least I hope she isn't.

IF there were to be another Doom solo title I'd like to say again I'd like to see Priest take a shot at it now that he's at Marvel. Another thing I'd want to see is Namor and Dr. Strange showing up. Let's have some other Latverians be in there too like Bram Velsing, the Dreadknight. What's happened with him? I know Bendis created Lucia van Bardos but I prefer the way she was portrayed in Brubaker / Guice's Winter Soldier. I don't want to see crazy looking cyborg lady. Let's find out more about her back story. We don't know why she hates Doom so much and vice versa. I wonder this new Victor would do if he encountered her now as opposed to the brutal way he treated her in Winter Soldier.

Rule no 3 of Doc Doom lore: any and all bad showings are down to Doombots.

I think one of my biggest disappointments in following the Doc was when it was decided he wasn't also Kang. But in general the more Reed Richards I read the more I love the Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Rule no 3 of Doc Doom lore: any and all bad showings are down to Doombots.

I think one of my biggest disappointments in following the Doc was when it was decided he wasn't also Kang. But in general the more Reed Richards I read the more I love the Doc.
    LOL. I can understand that. Sometimes Reed would treat Ben, Sue and Johnny pretty crummy but he could get away with it.

It was Busiek's Avengers Forever where we see Kang musing on his encounter with Doom in outer space. Kang was in his Rama Tut phase when this happened and in Busiek's version he clouds the issue a bit when he has Kang say he just came up with that because Doom was holding a gun on him...but then thinks it really doesn't matter if they are related somehow or not. I think I can accept a relationship where Kang is a descendant but things do get murky if they are the same man. It seems they would share memories or somehow carry that knowledge with them in their time travels.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    LOL. I can understand that. Sometimes Reed would treat Ben, Sue and Johnny pretty crummy but he could get away with it.

It was Busiek's Avengers Forever where we see Kang musing on his encounter with Doom in outer space. Kang was in his Rama Tut phase when this happened and in Busiek's version he clouds the issue a bit when he has Kang say he just came up with that because Doom was holding a gun on him...but then thinks it really doesn't matter if they are related somehow or not. I think I can accept a relationship where Kang is a descendant but things do get murky if they are the same man. It seems they would share memories or somehow carry that knowledge with them in their time travels.
    I'll have to dig out my Avengers Forever trade sometime and give it a re-read. I can remember enjoying it even more than the rest of the Busiek run, and keeping it when I was selling most of my comics stuff...but very little else.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I'll have to dig out my Avengers Forever trade sometime and give it a re-read. I can remember enjoying it even more than the rest of the Busiek run, and keeping it when I was selling most of my comics stuff...but very little else.
    I did enjoy that TPB quite a bit. I wasn't into all of Busiek's stuff...like the Triad or whatever that was. But I recall being ticked off when things switched to Bendis with Disassembled. At least the Scarlet Witch is finally free of most of that stain but then they palmed off the blame on Doom in Children's Crusade. I like both characters myself so I don't like either of them burdened with that. IMO it just doesn't make sense.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

https://www.newsarama.com/35508-doct...e=notification

Five Words. Ed Brubaker. Books of Doom. Nuff said.

Ultimate Member

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...s-doctor-doom/

Our reporter in the room Kaitlyn Booth sent us this as close to accurate quote from the panel, saying Hawley was talking about other projects and said:

I’m working on a new movie for fox that you might be interested in. I’ll only say two words: doctor and doom.

Whilst I would be sad not to see him in the MCU, given how good Legion was, as long as we get a real actually well done ruler of Latveria no sucky super powers with imposing armor and cape and metal mask Doom, then I'm all for a Doom movie. Though I would question how it would incorporate the Fantastic Four, if at all. Doom's origin seems very tied to Reed especially if they're planning on doing something faithful.

...given the last two attempts, I'll just have to pray they let them do Doom right this time.

I find it kind of funny that Fox is trying to develop a Dr. Doom movie given how badly they've handled adapting the character in the past .

I'm also not sure what this means for the FF.

BANNED

If they actually do this right, I would be quite psyched.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I find it kind of funny that Fox is trying to develop a Dr. Doom movie given how badly they've handled adapting the character in the past .

I'm also not sure what this means for the FF.
    I find it more worrying than funny, though with a good lead on board also hopeful. Doom is a character who can have his own movie, or indeed TV series like Legion. The trick will be being willing to use the more retro aspects of the character, especially his role as a ruler of a nation, something the FF movies always seemed to be scared of showing.

And I hope a Doom movie might lead into a more faithful FF movie, though who knows if the supposed Franklin/Valeria project is supposed to connect or not? Doing even a faithful Doom indefinitely without the FF is like trying to do Venom and Black Cat without Spide-

Ah.

Well this means the F4 are stuck in Fox's clutches for the foreseeable future. On one hand I'm glad Fox sees the potential with this character but then again they screwed him up one too many times in the past and the F4 are a toxic brand as long as they remain at fox.

Noah Hawley is brilliant. For once, I am pretty happy about news coming from them

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Hawley is great, so it might be good. On the other hand, I hate characters being completely removed from their context (I almost thought this was a Sony production for a second). We can see Doctor Doom in the comics go do his own thing and play anti-hero or reformed Bendis creation or whatever, but that's precisely because we have the past to compare it to. We have decades of him as a Fantastic Four villain to make Secret Wars make sense. Just having a movie about Doctor Doom by itself is meaningless.

That being said, if he does some kind of adaptation of Triumph and Torment, I'd be OK with that. I don't think it's a good idea, but I'd be curious.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

Speaking of Unthinkable I like this one short story done by Priest called "Masks" that touches on Doom's relationship with Valera but in a different way. Oddly enough, IIRC it came out just a few months before Waid's story. I wish things were left as they were with Priest's story.

I also like B.Vengeance's choice, Brubaker's Winter Soldier arc with Doom and his disloyal Latverian Lucia von Bardas. We never did find out what their prior relationship was between them. Was she a former member of his staff?
    I hope that C. Priest gets to write the script for the movie. I also want him to be the ongoing writer for a new fantastic four comics series.