Page 264 of 337 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 5046
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Hypestyle, I agree 1000 percent that Priest would be the writer I'd like in either scenario. A Doom series or a Fantastic Four relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I find it more worrying than funny, though with a good lead on board also hopeful. Doom is a character who can have his own movie, or indeed TV series like Legion. The trick will be being willing to use the more retro aspects of the character, especially his role as a ruler of a nation, something the FF movies always seemed to be scared of showing.

And I hope a Doom movie might lead into a more faithful FF movie, though who knows if the supposed Franklin/Valeria project is supposed to connect or not? Doing even a faithful Doom indefinitely without the FF is like trying to do Venom and Black Cat without Spide-

Ah.
    Either the Franklin / Valeria thing will be a separate project or it could be interesting if they are connected somehow.

Oh brother, I don't know what to think about this. I'm not familiar with Noah Hawley's work and from his credits he's mostly into TV projects. That's not to say he can't succeed in films. Fox made a big mistake to trust one hit wonder Josh Trank to handle their last miserable failure at the Fantastic Four. After seeing it a couple of times though, they really did sort of luck into a better version of Victor von Doom than the earlier attempts with Julian McMahon. I like McMahon but not for that role. To his defense, he played what they wrote, which was a devious businessman spurned by Sue. But the few scenes with Toby Kebbell in the last Fantastic Four were at least an improvement. He was also shown as being gifted with genius, perhaps more so that Reed since he worked on the project alone before Reed was brought into the group. But once again, they had him be a rival for Sue's affections.

I guess this could be good but IMO if one were to break off Doom as a separate project, I'd rather it be to join the MCU. I find it fascinating that right now in the comics and now it appears in movies, Doom has more importance as IP than the Fantastic Four.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Hawley is great, so it might be good. On the other hand, I hate characters being completely removed from their context (I almost thought this was a Sony production for a second). We can see Doctor Doom in the comics go do his own thing and play anti-hero or reformed Bendis creation or whatever, but that's precisely because we have the past to compare it to. We have decades of him as a Fantastic Four villain to make Secret Wars make sense. Just having a movie about Doctor Doom by itself is meaningless.

That being said, if he does some kind of adaptation of Triumph and Torment, I'd be OK with that. I don't think it's a good idea, but I'd be curious.
    That is one reason why I wish that Doom were somehow a part of the MCU . That would be a great idea for a Doctor Strange solo after Infinity War. Doom branched out to be more than an FF villain many years ago and I liked this GN the best as an example of this. And the Iron Man appearances too.

BANNED

At this early stage I'm honestly optimistic about the prospects of a Doctor Doom movie. I've enjoyed the recent Fox movies far more than any of Disney's recent outings. Deadpool was brilliant and pushed boundaries with the level violence on screen, while Logan ran with that expanded scope and delivered a beautiful epilogue to Hugh Jackman's Wolverine story. So, an R-rated Doctor Doom movie at Fox could work extremely well. Doom's hands would be tied at Disney; they'd want to tone-down the latent violence and darkness that surrounds Doom as a character. Yet at Fox with an R-rating Doom wouldn't have to hold back, this could become something truly amazing.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

if this movie sucess we might have a new f4 sucessfull new comic series that people will buy and cool art and thats a good thing for comics ! <3
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Quote Originally Posted by darewithpeace View Post
    if this movie sucess we might have a new f4 new comic series that people will buy and cool art and thats a good thing for comics ! <3
    Or a new Doctor Doom ongoing at least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think Marvel is being a bit sneaky with crazy ol' Ike Perlmutter. We are reading a Doom book right now but it's title refers to Iron Man so it gets a pass. I just find it odd that this doesn't seem to apply to Ben or Johnny appearing in other titles or Doom showing in first in Invincible Iron Man with Stark. It could be because they're pretty certain Ike never bothers to even look at the line let alone read anything.

I really don't mind there being some kind of relationship with IronHeart/Riri. Yeah, she's a bit of a Mary Sue but I understand what Marvel is trying to accomplish here and that is to bring in more readers. Whether or not it's a fool's quest is another issue. When you look back, Stan did the same thing when expanding the Marvel line. Doom shows up to tangle with the teen-aged Spider-Man or Spider-Man guesting in the FF. Marvel can't keep appealing to just older readers. You have to expand your customer base and the print media has some problems with sales being rather flat. We still don't know the digital sales so we don't get the whole picture there. IronHeart's solo title is doing OK, but again the digital $$ are an unknown and the same can be said for Infamous Iron Man.

Getting back to Victor being in a sort of mentor role I still say why not? It's kind of like he could put together a sort of Future Foundation of his own with her, Nadia and maybe Kristoff. I think for the most part Bendis has been pretty respectful in writing Doom and I am waiting to see how he handles this situation with this "Cynthia von Doom" doppelanger. I still don't think she's genuine...at least I hope she isn't.

IF there were to be another Doom solo title I'd like to say again I'd like to see Priest take a shot at it now that he's at Marvel. Another thing I'd want to see is Namor and Dr. Strange showing up. Let's have some other Latverians be in there too like Bram Velsing, the Dreadknight. What's happened with him? I know Bendis created Lucia van Bardos but I prefer the way she was portrayed in Brubaker / Guice's Winter Soldier. I don't want to see crazy looking cyborg lady. Let's find out more about her back story. We don't know why she hates Doom so much and vice versa. I wonder this new Victor would do if he encountered her now as opposed to the brutal way he treated her in Winter Soldier.
    I think it's more fun if she gets along with Doom than just end up being his enemy and running towards Tony and Reed.

BANNED

This is actually pretty darn awesome news. This is most surely an attempt to just hold on the rights, but considering the recent Fox outputs, it seems they're actually willing to go in R-Rated territories, and do the costumes justice, at least in the case of Deadpool. Sure, Logan didn't have the spandex, but it honestly wouldn't fit in that film. As for Hawley, Legion was pretty darn great. Excellent cinematography and set design. A bit of "well worn" story, but the characters and visuals were interesting enough to make up for it. Fargo was great in the 1st Season, darn good in the 2nd, but kinda dropped the ball in the 3rd. Aside from Vargas, all the other characters were rather boring. Kinda like how True Detective went from a GOAT show to just being "good".

Aaaaaanyway, back to this, I really do hope they tinker with the origin a bit, truth be told. It was good for its time, but now... eh. Just make him a poor Latverian boy and move on from there. The circumstances in the 60s origin were anachronistic and contrived enough for that time, much less this time period. Take the general plotline of it, but streamline it. In the end, it's the equilavent to having a white colonialist be Black Panther. It just doesn't jive.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Far too early on news of a Doom movie, but if they don't ignore the back story and tell don't pull punches, and have a good story maybe penned by Hickman or Brubaker (meaning folks who get Doom), I could be thoroughly psyched for a Doctor Doom movie or even series. I was thinking a cool starting point for a Doom movie ought to be Triumph and Torment, more so after watching the Dr. Strange movie again. But if it were based on Books of Doom, I'd sell a kidney to see it if I had to.

As to the actor, the voice and gravitas matters the most. Imagine what they could do with motion capture. A real budget and talent all around would be a must. Sad to have Fox hold onto the property, but if they could follow the path forged by Logan, I'd be cool with it.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    Or a new Doctor Doom ongoing at least.
    There is already a Dr Doom ongoing. If the movie is made, it means than Dr. Doom wil be lost in a limbo.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Whilst I would be sad not to see him in the MCU, given how good Legion was, as long as we get a real actually well done ruler of Latveria no sucky super powers with imposing armor and cape and metal mask Doom, then I'm all for a Doom movie. Though I would question how it would incorporate the Fantastic Four, if at all. Doom's origin seems very tied to Reed especially if they're planning on doing something faithful.

...given the last two attempts, I'll just have to pray they let them do Doom right this time.
    Doom and Magneto are the top two villains in Marvel. It should be impossible to mess them up in film. How do u botch such a fun character like Von Doom? The business man gimmick should never be brought back. Ever. His rise to the top with sprinkles from Valeria is a good origins flick.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Hypestyle, I agree 1000 percent that Priest would be the writer I'd like in either scenario. A Doom series or a Fantastic Four relaunch.

Either the Franklin / Valeria thing will be a separate project or it could be interesting if they are connected somehow.

Oh brother, I don't know what to think about this. I'm not familiar with Noah Hawley's work and from his credits he's mostly into TV projects. That's not to say he can't succeed in films. Fox made a big mistake to trust one hit wonder Josh Trank to handle their last miserable failure at the Fantastic Four. After seeing it a couple of times though, they really did sort of luck into a better version of Victor von Doom than the earlier attempts with Julian McMahon. I like McMahon but not for that role. To his defense, he played what they wrote, which was a devious businessman spurned by Sue. But the few scenes with Toby Kebbell in the last Fantastic Four were at least an improvement. He was also shown as being gifted with genius, perhaps more so that Reed since he worked on the project alone before Reed was brought into the group. But once again, they had him be a rival for Sue's affections.

I guess this could be good but IMO if one were to break off Doom as a separate project, I'd rather it be to join the MCU. I find it fascinating that right now in the comics and now it appears in movies, Doom has more importance as IP than the Fantastic Four.
    The power of Jonathan Hickman.

That is one reason why I wish that Doom were somehow a part of the MCU . That would be a great idea for a Doctor Strange solo after Infinity War. Doom branched out to be more than an FF villain many years ago and I liked this GN the best as an example of this. And the Iron Man appearances too.
    I don't see how that would work, as the MCU Strange is still weak sauce in comparison to the Strange in that story.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Far too early on news of a Doom movie, but if they don't ignore the back story and tell don't pull punches, and have a good story maybe penned by Hickman or Brubaker (meaning folks who get Doom), I could be thoroughly psyched for a Doctor Doom movie or even series. I was thinking a cool starting point for a Doom movie ought to be Triumph and Torment, more so after watching the Dr. Strange movie again. But if it were based on Books of Doom, I'd sell a kidney to see it if I had to.

As to the actor, the voice and gravitas matters the most. Imagine what they could do with motion capture. A real budget and talent all around would be a must. Sad to have Fox hold onto the property, but if they could follow the path forged by Logan, I'd be cool with it.
    I think Jude Law could make a great Doom. If Hawley can convince Joaquin Phoenix tho......good lord...I don't think I could handle that kind of hype.

Also, I wouldn't mind an aspect of Doom and Reed's rivalry being a relationship with Sue. However, not that he got spurned, but that his ambition caused him to distance himself, and ultimately leave her. However, I think it'd be even more interesting if Valeria is the first child Sue has, and she's Doom's daughter.

Reed being married to Sue, who bore a child (that he raised) of his rival, and said child is a genius who sees more potential in her real father, than him, could add new nuances to their relationship. It also provides a built in grey area that doesn't need decades of comic writing to build up to.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I think Jude Law could make a great Doom. If Hawley can convince Joaquin Phoenix tho......good lord...I don't think I could handle that kind of hype.

Also, I wouldn't mind an aspect of Doom and Reed's rivalry being a relationship with Sue. However, not that he got spurned, but that his ambition caused him to distance himself, and ultimately leave her. However, I think it'd be even more interesting if Valeria is the first child Sue has, and she's Doom's daughter.

Reed being married to Sue, who bore a child (that he raised) of his rival, and said child is a genius who sees more potential in her real father, than him, could add new nuances to their relationship. It also provides a built in grey area that doesn't need decades of comic writing to build up to.
    Would love Jude Law as Doom. And I really love your idea of Victor being the father of Valeria.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanGreyForever View Post
    Would love Jude Law as Doom. And I really love your idea of Victor being the father of Valeria.
    Yeah, his performance in the Young Pope, and his presence in King Arthur, just made him seem like a great pick.

Valeria being his daughter would also make their relationship much more digestible for general audiences. As the whole alternate dimensional daughter, now god-daughter, thing would get messy in a movie.