Page 277 of 337 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278279280281287327 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 5046
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Just put Gwenpool on my pull list. Couldn't do that for Marvel two in one : need to wait for the solicits according to my lcs but will do so. Nothing on the Iron Man front : will check the issues one by one...
    I think it would be worth your while to get Marvel 2 in 1. I'd rather see some scenes with Johnny and Ben trying to find out what Victor knows about Reed and Sue's whereabouts (and the children too) . Victor and RiRi teaming might not be as bad as we fear since their little talk in Infamous Iron Man had an odd kind of charm to it, esp with Victor giving her advice about going back to college. But there's always the large possibility that he'd be second fiddle to her since RiRi is a pet character for Bendis.

I didn't notice the detail in bold first because I thought it was simply a reference to the fact that Victor was an orphan, but also because I haven't done my homework during the summer and didn't read all the post of the past months and just read quickly the issue with the flashback and the animals sacrifice...

I got quickly that it wasn't really accurate - kid Vic realising that his mother was a sorceress only after her death in Kirby/Lee version iirc - because killing an animal wouldn't be so surprising for a child living according the way of life of a nomadic tribes a few decades ago. I mean: I saw my grandmother killing bunnies I found cute and - despite that and the fact that I wouldn't have killed them myself (but I'm not Victor and I'm a guy from the city - I ATE them... I really need to read that scene one more time- and the summer pages of the thread - because that could be indeed a big flaw in Bendis' take on our dear good Doctor...

Brubaker's Books of Doom don't point in that direction too btw... Imho, and I guess that Sigmund would agree Victor was over-loved, thus his kind of everlasting infantile state...
    This is why I don't like how recent stories are changing the timeline of Victor's childhood. We have the origin where it's stated that he was very young when she died. Additionally, his father and Boris never told him that she practiced the dark arts, let alone witnessed any rituals in the woods. Much later when he is talking with Stephen during the time they spent preparing to go against Mephisto, he tells Strange that he doesn't remember all that much about his mother. IMO Doom doesn't have an Oedipus complex situation. It had more to do with the fact that his mother dies while he was most likely a toddler and his father some years later. We're not sure how many years but's it's clear that he is still quite young since his father is carrying him at times while they are running from the Latverian soldiers. His issue would be of a different nature and he would have issues dealing with grief, depression and a sense of abandonment.

"...her touch", says the man wrapped in cold metal...

Ssuch a small but great line - i didn't remember it. Brubaker used so well and in many ways that theme in Books of Doom (skin/metal ; warm/cold ; etc..)

I agree about the Oedipus complex : in any case his resolution in young Vic's psychological evolution has to be complex. He couldn't have had the time to wish to murder his father. And the eventual or responsibily guilt he could unconsciously have felt for his death took immediately a political turn.

About Riri and Infamous IM relationship I actually liked what we've seen in the book. I'm just glad I don't read the other one because I fear that the plot with the Latverian political situation could seem to me a little bit... stupid? Even if it is perhaps more complex than I think...

About M2i1 I have no doubt : I will get it. And it's been a long since I thought about the kids, you know... l miss Val so much! I hope that the writer will be able to flesh a bit any kind of line about her in Victor's mouth : his relation to his goddaughter shouldn't be forgotten!
    Last edited by Abe; 09-24-2017 at 02:22 AM.

"...her touch", says the man wrapped in cold metal...
    don't you think that Victor has probably found this past year (or whatever the chronology is these days in Marvel Time) very liberating? It's like he has set himself free and it allows him to interact more on a personal level instead of the aloof and solitary ruler of Latveria. Of course it all hasn't been a bed of roses either. I think that's why he is frequently finding it difficult to adjust to this new life. He deliberately lived a life of solitude and isolation for many years. Mabye that's why he used to like to have all those dinners with people. It gave him the chance to socialize with the heroes, when he wasn't battling to the death with them. I don't think he ever had a formal dinner with Tony though, just breakfast in a diner with him and Amara.

Such a small but great line - i didn't remember it. Brubaker used so well and in many ways that theme in Books of Doom (skin/metal ; warm/cold ; etc..)

I agree about the Oedipus complex : in any case his resolution in young Vic's psychological evolution has to be complex. He couldn't have had the time to wish to murder his father. And the eventual or responsibily guilt he could unconsciously have felt for his death took immediately a political turn.

About Riri and Infamous IM relationship I actually liked what we've seen in the book. I'm just glad I don't read the other one because I fear that the plot with the Latverian political situation could seem to me a little bit... stupid? Even if it is perhaps more complex than I think...

About M2i1 I have no doubt : I will get it. And it's been a long since I thought about the kids, you know... l miss Val so much! I hope that the writer will be able to flesh a bit any kind of line about her in Victor's mouth : his relation to his goddaughter shouldn't be forgotten!
    I really miss having those little scenes with Val and her Uncle Doom. What would she think of him now that she can actually see his face? I'm still a bit ticked off about her appearance in Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme. Let's hope it's an AU version of Valeria that never appears again.

The Oedipus complex: Very good observation about his father. I never took any psychology stuff in college since that was not part of my major. I was just going over some papers you can browse on the internet the other day. Victor and his father were not very close after his mother's death but that is an unfortunate result sometimes of a death in the family. Sometimes it unites, sometimes it doesn't. Could Victor have some kind of suppressed anger about his father not doing enough to prevent her death? Could be but that would be a story for another day. In any case, if these feelings did exist IMO his father's death would have erased them. For as you mention, Werner Von Doom's death propelled him into a brief campaign as a revolutionary. This era in young Victor von Doom's life is what Warren Ellis would use as key to his half of the Doom 2099 series. I wish we had seen Nick Spencer and Becky Cloonan's mini series about young Victor. Those years between his mother's death and his college career were pretty pivotal

I doubt the Latverian situation is very complex. Bendis stepped away from it rather quickly and in this month's issue it's barely mentioned at all when Riri is talking with Tony's rocker mom and Mary Jane.

Has anyone read Infamous Iron Man? Worth the read?

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    It's certainly the better of the two Iron Man titles right now. I like it a lot, even if it has moved at a snail's pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    If you subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, you can check out the issues that they have there. I think they have 1-5. I find that despite my doubts about Bendis, I'm finding it pretty enjoyable. It's got some favorable reviews if you go in for that sort of thing. You can check all the reviews out here on Comic Book Roundup

First look at Jim Cheung's version of Infamous Iron Man

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    First look at Jim Cheung's version of Infamous Iron Man

It looks really great! (and if I fantasize a bit i could see some kind of giant petrified fingers beneath Doom... Please give us a story both intimate and cosmic! Obviously that what this book has to be about.)

(need to think a bit more about Victor's Oedipus... And his feeling of liberation... Great theme to think about! )

OK, you know the deal... some impressions, no spoilers really, just a few word from the eastern side if the Atlantic ocean... geographical time machine... blah blah... So :
    spoilers:
    Well... I'd say it's good!... but... or even if... Anyway I can say that I liked it !
    end of spoilers

Also (another book) :

spoilers:
    VERY happy with the Legacy one-shot!!!
    end of spoilers

Voilą...
    Last edited by Abe; 09-26-2017 at 10:22 AM.

BANNED

Rumor has it... spoilers:
    The big bad of Legacy is a Doctor Doom clad in White who's "killed" Reed & Sue and is now coming back or something.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    Rumor has it... spoilers:
    The big bad of Legacy is a Doctor Doom clad in White who's "killed" Reed & Sue and is now coming back or something.
    end of spoilers
    Maybe that one should be hidden even if I don't spoil anything : just answering...

spoilers:
    not at all. And no Doom in it. But I can pm you why I am happy and why it's not totally if topic to say it here...
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Maybe that one should be hidden even if I don't spoil anything : just answering...

spoilers:
    not at all. And no Doom in it. But I can pm you why I am happy and why it's not totally if topic to say it here...
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Sure, hit me up with a PM.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Kinda off-topic, but does anybody else think Vic needs a bit of a... makeover? Both his "costume" and "face" have remained mostly the same throughout his publication history, AUs included. With Tony coming back and his face being healed, I think it'd be nice to update certain things a bit. The "costume" is classic enough that I could do with just minor alterations (see Lee Bermejo's design), but I'm of the mind that he could use a new "face". The Vincet Cassel "homage" was good an all, but dunno, I think he needs something more... "unique". Personally, I was thinking that he could rock a classic Van Dyke with a Parted Long Cut. I mean, at this point, he either looks like a Cassel rip-off, or like Reed without the white temples. Giving him a beard is a big no-no IMHO, and a goatee just doesn't fit him (Ultimate tried that and he looked just like Stark & Strange). But a classic Van Dyke like Vigo Mortessen rocks at some points, would make for a nice distinction, especially if the artists remembered that his hair is supposed to be light brown. He'd kinda look like a brunette Oliver Queen, and Ollie has a distinct style.

I'm open to ideas, but I'm generally bored of his depictions throughout publication history not really changing. Technically his mask is his "face", but his real one deserves to be somewhat memorable. I mean, the guy did just get it back, after years and years. I imagine he'd like to try a few things now that he doesn't have a metal mask inches away from it.

OK, you know the deal... some impressions, no spoilers really, just a few word from the eastern side if the Atlantic ocean... geographical time machine... blah blah... So :
    spoilers:
    Well... I'd say it's good!... but... or even if... Anyway I can say that I liked it !
    end of spoilers

Also (another book) :

spoilers:
    VERY happy with the Legacy one-shot!!!
    end of spoilers

Voilą...

Since as I recall you really weren't very excited about issue #11, I am looking forward to this if you liked it. Still that's going to be at least 24 hrs for now for me.

So is anyone getting kind of let down that this is the last issue? Final thoughts?

It's too premature for me but I am going to miss this title. Here's hoping that we still get a monthly update on the new Doom in Invincible Iron Man and Marvel Two in One. I wonder....is he officially known to the press and the public at large as Iron Man? Johnny mentioned that there was some discussion about it on social media that people are aware that he was Doctor Doom. When and if Tony comes back as Iron Man, then what ? What would his code name be?

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Since as I recall you really weren't very excited about issue #11, I am looking forward to this if you liked it. Still that's going to be at least 24 hrs for now for me.

So is anyone getting kind of let down that this is the last issue? Final thoughts?

It's too premature for me but I am going to miss this title. Here's hoping that we still get a monthly update on the new Doom in Invincible Iron Man and Marvel Two in One. I wonder....is he officially known to the press and the public at large as Iron Man? Johnny mentioned that there was some discussion about it on social media that people are aware that he was Doctor Doom. When and if Tony comes back as Iron Man, then what ? What would his code name be?
    War Hammer?
    Supremacy?
    Royal Guardian?
    Doom?
    Praetorian?
    Nomad King?
    Landgrave?
    The Grand King?

If he does get a new name he has plenty of options more than what I suggested. It's possible he could even use a heroic version of any royal title.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.