Page 298 of 337 FirstFirst ... 198248288294295296297298299300301302308 ... LastLast
Results 4,456 to 4,470 of 5046

Not sure what to make of this. After seeing Legion, I think Noah Hawly is uniquely qualified to tell Dr. Doom's story. But with the Disney/Fox merger pending, I'm not sure how much the process will be effected. He may say it's a priority now. That may change once the merge is complete. I sincerely hope that this movie is part of Marvel and Disney's reclamation process for Doom, especially after the disastrous 2015 movie. But there's a lot of uncertainty right now about the future of everything Fox related.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Not sure what to make of this. After seeing Legion, I think Noah Hawly is uniquely qualified to tell Dr. Doom's story. But with the Disney/Fox merger pending, I'm not sure how much the process will be effected. He may say it's a priority now. That may change once the merge is complete. I sincerely hope that this movie is part of Marvel and Disney's reclamation process for Doom, especially after the disastrous 2015 movie. But there's a lot of uncertainty right now about the future of everything Fox related.
    He could do Disney a favor if he comes up with a kickass version of Doom's origin. I'd like to see Hawley start to coordinate with Disney's execs like Kevin Feige or some of the producers who've worked on Marvel films instead of working with Simon Kinberg, whose been involved with all of the Fox Fantastic Four films.

This could go a long way towards laying down a solid foundation for Disney to work with if it is successful in wiping out movie fans memories of the Julian McMahon/Toby Kebbell Doom. I've no problems with the actors...they had bad material to work with IMO, except Kebbell. That version was a least somewhat consistent with the Ultimate version of Doom.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-07-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Wait. What??? Doom seeking redemption? Is that what Bendis' Doom is about?
    When you think about it, Secret Wars left very little choice. If Doom had learned nothing from that experience then all of it would have been meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    You should try that first volume, Rev, or you're gonna read too much spoilers! It won't take you that long : it's Bendis so even if I think that he did well considering the whole twelve issues there is not that much happening in each of them.

And you could enjoy the art team - which is truly the best thing in the book. I love the mostly painted covers by Maleev and his interior art and Matt Hollingsworth shows skills of science and sorcery in his colouring.

Thinking about it, I should try a "trade" reading myself : the art snd the decompression shoud give to the book a kind of cinematography feel that didnt appeared really during the monthly publication.
    I agree with you, the art team really elevated the book IMO. I've noticed for a while now that Bendis seems to struggle with anything other that dialogue for "street". He has all this cross talk with the gang of supercriminals like the Hood, Jigsaw, or the Wrecker and Doom becomes mute in their presence the way Bendis writes it.

BANNED

Fantastic Four #10 Jan 1963
    "The Return of Doctor Doom!"
    Reed Richards is conducting an experiment on how to photograph Sue while she is invisible when suddenly the team notices the Fantastic Four signal flare in the sky. Trying to rush to the signal,
    Reed finds the locking mechanism on his lab door jammed and uses his stretching powers to try and reach the release on the other side but his arm goes the wrong way,
    forcing Johnny to use his flame powers to melt through the lock. The group rushes through avid fans to the apartment of Alicia Masters, Ben's girlfriend,
    where Ben reveals that he just wanted to show his teammates the various sculptures that Alicia has made of the Fantastic Four's various foes.

Meanwhile at the offices of Marvel Comics, writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby, who have been licensed to create Fantastic Four comic books based on the heroes' adventures,
    are stumped over creating a new villain for the group to fight as all their other previous foes have been vanquished. As Jack is trying to pitch a new villain named False-Face they are interrupted
    by Dr. Doom who demands that they call Reed Richards to their office to lure him in a trap, threatening to show them his horribly scarred face if they do not comply.

Reed is called over, but when he arrives he is gassed by Dr. Doom who then teleports away with Richards as his prisoner. When Reed awakens at Doom's laboratory, Reed is shocked to see his
    old foe who was last seen being carried away on a meteor. Doom explains that he survived when he was rescued by an alien race called the Ovoids. Learning that these creatures had great mental powers,
    Doom forced them to teach him their method of transferring minds into other bodies before they returned him to Earth. Doom then demonstrates this ability by swapping bodies with Reed.
    The two fight it out, but Dr. Doom has the advantage by using Reed's own stretching powers against him.

Soon the rest of the team, tipped off by Stan and Jack, arrive at Doom's lab and easily subdue "Dr. Doom", Reed's attempts to convince his team that Doom has swapped bodies with him fall on deaf ears.
    Doom pretending to be Reed then convinces the team that the only way to be rid of Doom is to trap him forever. While the other members of the team suggest ideas to do that,
    "Reed" has a better idea and shows them a trap that he devised in the basement of the lab. With "Dr. Doom" trapped in a unbreakable glass cage, the rest of the team leaves, leaving Reed and Doom alone.
    Doom gloats over his victory, pointing out that the air cylinders in the unbreakable glass cage will run out of air in exactly an hour and then leaves Reed to his fate.

While pretending to be his greatest enemy, Dr. Doom then begins working on a shrinking ray and starts testing it on animals that his teammates realize have gone missing from one of the local zoos
    when the animals might break free. When Sue and the others start to question "Reed's" work, Doom tells them that he has come up with a theory that the dinosaurs went extinct due to their large bodies
    and small brains. He then suggests that through a process of shrinking someone in size and then restoring them to normal could boost not only their mental power, but their physical abilities.
    Doom then sells the team on the fact that with this method the Torch would be able to fly in space, Sue would be able to turn selected parts of her body invisible,
    and Ben would be able to revert back and forth from human form. The group is ecstatic and Doom tells them that he will use it on them once the tests are completed.
    However, Doom really intends to shrink the group down to nothingness, eliminating his hated enemies forever.

Meanwhile back in the unbreakable glass cage, Reed tries to break through a flaw in the glass using Doom's mask, and succeeds in punching holes in it.
    He then takes one of the air cylinders and plugs the hole with it, then tosses another at the first cylinder. The resulting explosion breaks the glass, freeing Reed from his death trap.
    He then goes to Alicia's apartment and tries to convince her that he is really Reed Richards trapped in Dr. Doom's body.

However, Reed is unaware that Sue was there to tell Alicia the "good news" and she manages to knock Reed out by smashing a vase over his head. When Ben and Johnny arrive,
    they try to attack "Dr. Doom" but Reed manages to instill doubt in their minds, convincing them to bring him back to the Baxter Building with them.
    However they bring "Doom" to "Reed" who binds Reed up so he can conduct his shrinking experiment on the other members of the Fantastic Four.
    When Doom decides to start on Sue first, Reed tries to protest, raising more doubt in the mind of Johnny and Ben.

Johnny decides to test his suspicions by using his flame powers to create a mirage of a stick of dynamite. When the mirage appears,
    "Dr. Doom" tries to shield his teammates from the blast with his own body while "Reed" tries to flee the scene. Realizing that "Dr. Doom" was telling the truth,
    Ben grabs "Reed" and pulls him back into the room. With the ruse revealed the process reverses itself.

With Doom back in his original body, he begins to attack the Fantastic Four. During the scuffle, Reed is knocked back into the controls of Doom's device.
    In a bit of irony, Doom's shrink ray blasts himself causing him to shrink to seeming nothingness, leaving the Fantastic Four to wonder if their foe has been vanquished forever.

Script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Dick Ayers

Wow.....I just clicked on the thread to see this. Great recap of the comic, 616MarvelYear is LeapYear I know from doing this before, this takes a lot of work!

This story always made me wonder.... did Doom also discover Pym Particles independent of Hank's research?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-08-2018 at 10:51 AM.

That's great indeed, 616Marvel *is LeapYear. And a lot of work. Thanks a lot for that post and all the others everywhere that I always enjoy and never comment.

I love that story. With FF #9 and THE Annual #2 it was collected in that oversized album in 1981.

(The little eagle is really cute)

About the Ovoids, was it their one and only appearance? (I'll check the net...)
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

That's great indeed, 616Marvel *is LeapYear. And a lot of work. Thanks a lot for that post and all the others everywhere that I always enjoy and never comment.

I love that story. With FF #9 and THE Annual #2 it was collected in that oversized album in 1981.

(The little eagle is really cute)

About the Ovoids, was it their one and only appearance? (I'll check the net...)
    I have to check out the story but She Hulk also encountered them. I believe it was in Byrne's run.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

What? I am so far behind / out of the loop. I would love a Doctor Doom movie!

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I agree, especially the bolded. I loved LEGION.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I am encouraged by the caliber of this Noah Hawley even if I've never seen his shows. But sometimes I think the character is snakebit in some respects when it comes to the movies. The prior Fox movies just seemed to kill any chance of a good interpretation reaching movie audiences. I wouldn't want Fox to rush anything into production because of them being on the verge of losing the rights. On the other hand, I doubt Marvel Studios would give him his own film for his debut in the MCU.

MTIO

Thanks for posting. I wonder if Jim Cheung may be doing issue #3 of Marvel TIO.

Any guess on who the guy with the beard is?

And aren't they in space?

It appears to be, Abe.

I can't make out who the other armored figure is but he almost reminds me of the Trapster.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-11-2018 at 11:16 AM.

It reminds me the scaphander Ben is wearing in that drawing posted in the FF thread not so long ago :

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Fandango View Post

Posted by Grim Fandango too btw! Thank you!

The guy is too thin to be Ben. Maybe Johnny? - who seems to have trouble with his powers...

The bearded guy is in another panel - at first I thought he was guant and I was about to think it could be the Stranger... with glasses! Lol...
    Last edited by Abe; 01-11-2018 at 11:00 AM.

It reminds me the scaphander Ben is wearing in that drawing posted in the FF thread not so long ago :

Posted by Grim Fandango too btw! Thank you!

The guy is too thin to be Ben. Maybe Johnny? - who seems to have trouble with his powers...

The bearded guy is in another panel - at first I thought he was gaunt and I was about to think it could be the Stranger... with glasses! Lol...
    I thought it was John Byrne peeking in on things!