Page 5 of 337 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think for a while it was one of their top sellers. They have so much more to choose from since that shirt was introduced. They have a great variety of characters available.

That was a great opening arc. I wish Brubaker was still at Marvel. I enjoyed his take on Doom. In that story, I liked that Doom finally got to meet the Prime Minister that was chosen to taken his place, Lucretia von Bardas. I'd like to see her return. Her past is pretty mysterious.

I've been disappointed with the lack of Doom in NA. I keep thinking maybe that multiverse version might be the only one Hickman will show. We still don't know what Doom found out after the incursion that occurred over Latveria. And no jobbing! We had enough to last a lifetime in FF#16!
    WLF > yes I'm wearing their I am Doctor Strange shirt right now. They released some splendid shirts, but that Doom/unicorn one was always so much fun.

I miss Brubaker too. He has a great handle on Doom? Wasn't Ed the writer who was supposed to write the young Doom mini series that got cancelled? (I know he wrote a mini, with I think, Leonardo Manco on art. That was quite good.)

So no Doom in NA? Wow. What little I've read Doom seems like the perfect fit for this book.

and wow that Gene Colan Doom art. So beautiful. Thanks sharing for that.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    WLF > yes I'm wearing their I am Doctor Strange shirt right now. They released some splendid shirts, but that Doom/unicorn one was always so much fun.
    I think I may end up getting a Doctor Strange shirt one day from the WeLoveFine site one day myself! I wish they had more children's clothes for littles girls. I have some little nieces who would like a Ms Marvel (the old uniform like she has in Superhero Squad) or Invisible Woman or Black Widow, especially since they seen BW in the movies.

I miss Brubaker too. He has a great handle on Doom? Wasn't Ed the writer who was supposed to write the young Doom mini series that got cancelled? (I know he wrote a mini, with I think, Leonardo Manco on art. That was quite good.)
    Brubaker wrote the mini series Books of Doom which one can view as Victor's autobiography since it is told in the form of an interview but there's a catch at the end. I also liked how Brubaker used him in is first Winter Soldier arc before he left Marvel. There were two Doom mini series written by Chuck Dixon with art by Leonardo Manco from about 10 years ago. That one featured the awesome Naked Lion Wrestling Doom, which had its own thread on the old forums.

Nick Spencer was working on that one with Becky Cloonan on the art. It was going to be more a Teen Doom comic and it's hard to tell what direction it was going to take. This would have been the first cover. I was using it as my Avatar on the old board but haven't figured out what to use here.

So no Doom in NA? Wow. What little I've read Doom seems like the perfect fit for this book.

and wow that Gene Colan Doom art. So beautiful. Thanks sharing for that.
    You're welcome. I am glad that Marvel did finally reprint that AT #8 story recently. Once in the Gene Colan tribute and again in the reissue of the GN "Triumph and Torment". It's also going to come as part of the Masterworks volume called Marvel Rarities. That will have all of Doom's Astonishing Tales series and his first solo story in Marvel Superheroes #20

I keep waiting for Doom to show up again in Hickman's NA because I feel sure there had to be a reason why he witnessed that incursion over Latveria. Plus he has those bodies from the fight and a chunk of the other planet. Sometimes it takes a while for Hickman to put all the cards on the table.

I think I may end up getting a Doctor Strange shirt one day from the WeLoveFine site one day myself! I wish they had more children's clothes for littles girls. I have some little nieces who would like a Ms Marvel (the old uniform like she has in Superhero Squad) or Invisible Woman or Black Widow, especially since they seen BW in the movies.

Brubaker wrote the mini series Books of Doom which one can view as Victor's autobiography since it is told in the form of an interview but there's a catch at the end. I also liked how Brubaker used him in is first Winter Soldier arc before he left Marvel. There were two Doom mini series written by Chuck Dixon with art by Leonardo Manco from about 10 years ago. That one featured the awesome Naked Lion Wrestling Doom, which had its own thread on the old forums.

Nick Spencer was working on that one with Becky Cloonan on the art. It was going to be more a Teen Doom comic and it's hard to tell what direction it was going to take. This would have been the first cover. I was using it as my Avatar on the old board but haven't figured out what to use here.

You're welcome. I am glad that Marvel did finally reprint that AT #8 story recently. Once in the Gene Colan tribute and again in the reissue of the GN "Triumph and Torment". It's also going to come as part of the Masterworks volume called Marvel Rarities. That will have all of Doom's Astonishing Tales series and his first solo story in Marvel Superheroes #20

I keep waiting for Doom to show up again in Hickman's NA because I feel sure there had to be a reason why he witnessed that incursion over Latveria. Plus he has those bodies from the fight and a chunk of the other planet. Sometimes it takes a while for Hickman to put all the cards on the table.
    Oh, Becky Cloonan! I thought that young Doom art looked vaguely familiar. That's a shame she did not get to illustrate it. It makes a great avatar.

Thanks for the clarification on Brubaker (I read the Books of Doom and, of course, the first Winter Soldier arc..) I knew Manco drew a Doom storyline at one point > sounds like a great one. I might pick up Triumph and Torment.

I thought WLF did a lot of children's shirts, I guess not. They do make some terrific all ages friendly designs though.

BANNED

I'm a bit behind, big surprise. Desperately scrambling to save stuff from the old forum. Other than the Doom/Namor slash thread and the Nekkid Lion Wrestling thread, was there anything in particular folks thought should be saved?

Also, speaking of Becky Cloonan's lamented never seen mini-series, I found this second cover, which I didn't know she'd done!

And of course, another of her wonderful royal roomies sketches ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I'm a bit behind, big surprise. Desperately scrambling to save stuff from the old forum. Other than the Doom/Namor slash thread and the Nekkid Lion Wrestling thread, was there anything in particular folks thought should be saved?

Also, speaking of Becky Cloonan's lamented never seen mini-series, I found this second cover, which I didn't know she'd done!

@ Rheged > LOL I never saw the royal roomies or that second cover. The second cover makes me think Dan Brereton. Thanks for sharing those. Uh... Doom/Namor slash... (runs away.)

Don't worry, I've already downloaded Naked Lion Wrestling Doom and the original thread. I guess for now the only thing we can do is keep them for your own reference to dig up gems from the past. The original came down to 18 segments but the other Lion Wrestling thread was just one segment. I guess you could zip the files to mail to someone if they wanted them. I don't know if it would be legal to host them anywhere.

and there was a third cover done for the Victor von Doom series to show how much was planned. All three issues were solicited but then it was cancelled a couple of weeks before the first issue was to ship. Bleeding Cool had to retract a statement in the article about it where they said it was because Becky Cloonan was behind on the art due to personal issues, allegedly. I am going by memory of reading the original statement before it was changed.

Link: The Fate of Victor Von Doom series

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-12-2014 at 01:05 PM.

BANNED

Don't worry, I've already downloaded Naked Lion Wrestling Doom and the original thread. I guess for now the only thing we can do is keep them for your own reference to dig up gems from the past. The original came down to 18 segments but the other Lion Wrestling thread was just one segment. I guess you could zip the files to mail to someone if they wanted them. I don't know if it would be legal to host them anywhere.

and there was a third cover done for the Victor von Doom series to show how much was planned. All three issues were solicited but then it was cancelled a couple of weeks before the first issue was to ship. Bleeding Cool had to retract a statement in the article about it where they said it was because Becky Cloonan was behind on the art do to personal issues, allegedly. I am going by memory of reading the original statement before it was changed.

Link: The Fate of Victor Von Doom series

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/IronM...3_cvr.jpg.html
    Wow. That third cover is amazing! Though, I still like her first cover best.

Yeah, I tried to get more info from Cloonan at Heroes Con, but she wasn't forthcoming. While I hate it wasn't released, I'm not
    that impressed by Nick Spencer's Marvel work, so perhaps it was for the best. I'm thinking, however, when Marvel axed a bunch of editors, their work, like Doom's mini, went too.

Coolness! Eventually, I think reposting some of those info nuggets in various threads would be good, plus maybe restart others. Somewhere on one of the community forums, someone said CBR doesn't own the copyright to threads, according to the ToS. But since I've no place to post / host them, it's a moot point. LOL!
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-12-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Wow. That third cover is amazing! Though, I still like her first cover best.

Yeah, I tried to get more info from Cloonan at Heroes Con, but she wasn't forthcoming. While I hate it wasn't released, I'm not
    that impressed by Nick Spencer's Marvel work, so perhaps it was for the best. I'm thinking, however, when Marvel axed a bunch of editors, their work, like Doom's mini, went too.
    Yes, I recall the editor was laid off but I thought that was a strange policy to have. So you cancel work that was already partially done because of that? How about assigning it to someone else?

Have you read Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man? It does have a subplot about a painting done of Doom unmasked that is floating around the criminal circles after being stolen. The panels have been posted all over the place, esp. the flashback scene were Doom says to the artist "I want you to draw Doom like one of your French girls". Which brings up a bit of a rant. I like the comedic or farcical tales dealing with Doom as much as anyone. The recently concluded She Hulk story was amusing also with the Giantantic Robot Doom (although I wish he were there in person for the resolution of the case). Other than Hickman's FF issue dealing with the Parliament of Doom or a brief cameo somewhere it seems to have been quite a while since we've had a good serious Doom-centric tale. What I want is something more weighty and substantial and not just a lightweight confection. I guess I've been reading too many of the oldies lately.

Coolness! Eventually, I think reposting some of those info nuggets in various threads would be good, plus maybe restart others. Somewhere on one of the community forums, someone said CBR doesn't own the copyright to threads, according to the ToS. But since I've no place to post / host them, it's a moot point. LOL!
    Oh that is an interesting thing to know about the ownership. Coming up with a format to host them might be a problem. I just think about all the posts that can't be part of a continuous history. I might repost one or two of mine here if they seem relevant.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-13-2014 at 07:28 PM.

BANNED

@ Rheged > LOL I never saw the royal roomies or that second cover. The second cover makes me think Dan Brereton. Thanks for sharing those. Uh... Doom/Namor slash... (runs away.)
    Royal roomies comes from an odd Becky Cloonan story in Strange Tales. Doom is in the last panel with Namor, and that spawned a few other sketches from Cloonan.

And yes, those other covers do have a Brereton vibe. I think part of it's the colors ... and the tentacles. LOL!

Oh, you can't run far enough away! I'm going to revive that thread at some point, if Missippiene doesn't come back. muahahahahahah!

Yes, I recall the editor was laid off but I thought that was a strange policy to have. So you cancel work that was already partially done because of that? How about assigning it to someone else?
    Yeah, I didn't get the 'reasoning' behind that either. And it ticked me off even more, when they canceled All Winners Squad in the middle of the mini-series, since it too was edited by one of the outgoing editors.

Have you read Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man? It does have a subplot about a painting done of Doom unmasked that is floating around the criminal circles after being stolen. The panels have been posted all over the place, esp. the flashback scene were Doom asks says to the artist "I want you to draw Doom like one of your French girls". Which brings up a bit of a rant. I like the comedic or farcical tales dealing with Doom as much as anyone. The recently concluded She Hulk story was amusing also with the Giantantic Robot Doom (although I wish he were there in person for the resolution of the case). Other than Hickman's FF issue dealing with the Parliament of Doom or a brief cameo somewhere it seems to have been quite a while since we've had a good serious Doom-centric tale. What I want is something more weighty and substantial and not just a lightweight confection. I guess I've been reading too many of the oldies lately.
    No, I haven't read Spencer's Superior Foes of SM, though I've heard good things about it and I do like many funny books. That said, I understand what you're saying. It HAS been a while since Hickman's take on Doom and that was less of a 'villain' take on him. It would be wonderful if the next Marvel event actually centered around Doom. Isn't one of the games Doom centric, in that he's the main villain?

Oh that is an interesting thing to know about the ownership. Coming up with a format to host them might be a problem. I just think about all the posts that can't be part of a continuous history. I might repost one or two of mine here if they seem relevant.
    Well, that's what I read here, somewhere. And yes, there's lots of threads with interesting conversations that will just disappear. I guess we'll have to make new conversations from our old posts.

BANNED

By Gabriel Hardman

Hi ho! Your favorite Doom appreciator that you love to hate *casts a sidelong glance at her user title* is back!

A belated Happy Birthday! to Marv Wolfman, who turned 68 yesterday, and wrote what I feel to be the most spectacular multi-issue Fantastic Four epic involving Victor...and culminating in what I hold to be THE BEST Richards/Von Doom battle royale EVER.

In my sparing you 'minions' the ending, don't let it be said that I try to be thoughtful where I can. *winks*
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    Hi ho! Your favorite Doom appreciator that you love to hate *casts a sidelong glance at her user title* is back!

A belated Happy Birthday! to Marv Wolfman, who turned 68 yesterday, and wrote what I feel to be the most spectacular multi-issue Fantastic Four epic involving Victor...and culminating in what I hold to be THE BEST Richards/Von Doom battle royale EVER.

In my sparing you 'minions' the ending, don't let it be said that I try to be thoughtful where I can. *winks*
    LOL! So considerate.

Love the scans! That is some old school awesome Doom!

Did Richards actually fly as a parachute / balloon 4000 miles?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery…

From today's The Line is Drawn.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

That's a great homage to one of Marvel's most memorable covers of the 1980's, if not of all time. I wonder why the artist chose to give Vader the missing hand? Like father like son I guess.

Recently, Mike Zeck recolored his classic cover from Secret Wars #10. Here's the original, which Zeck said IIRC that the colorist used to much white on the face plate. He corrects that part on the updated cover...

And here's the recolored version..

Did Richards actually fly as a parachute / balloon 4000 miles?
    Nope...comics or not, that would be a bit of a stretch (no pun intended ). Reed and the FF flew back from Latveria in the Pogo Plane, and Reed dropped himself off at Doom's upstate New York laboratory as the remaining three headed to the UN building. Perhaps that lab was the same one that was eventually to be the location of Liddleville...

"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven