Page 7 of 337 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Yes, it was, when Banner went after Doom and inadvertently played a role in his capture by the Intelligencia.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Fall of the hulks crossover i believe.
    Fall of the Hulks was actually pretty cool. I'm a sucker for stories which make the villains actually look credible. And I thought Doom was given some major props in it as well.

Shame all the Hulk stuff afterwards went downhill a bit.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Doom had some pretty good showings in Aaron's Stay Angry IH stories too. He had joined the Future Foundation by then. I tried Waid's Hulk but I kind of lost interest. Banner and Doom rarely mix it up but it can be fun when they do.

But yeah, the fight between Hulk and Doom was epic work by Paul Pelletier although gotta go back and look. That might be the Cosmic powered Hulk Robot. But I like how Doom held his own in a physical confrontation in a surprise attack by such a berserking creature. I know the Hulk robot plays a roll in the Intelligencia's plans because that is where the Leader concealed the "roofie" that dumbed down Doom and he subsequently got captured along with the other Marvel geniuses they were hunting down. Doom was the toughest capture of the bunch.

At one point, Skaar practically bisects his arm with his sword but Doom had absorbed some of the robot Hulks Cosmic Energy so he was able to heal it immediately.

Later on, we see how all the others IQ were affected yet Banner and Victor still haven't totally succumbed to its effects. This world they are experiencing is through Doom's own Liddleville tech that the Leader got his hands on somehow.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-18-2014 at 10:06 AM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

say-my-name-again.jpg

That was a powerful moment in the Hulk comic where it looked like Doom was going down but then he rallied, spectacularly.

This was after he bitch-slapped the Intelligentsia, who quite naively left the library of world tech in his care

Overall it was a good showing for Doom, going toe to toe with both Banner and the Hulk. And Skaar. The sudden turn around to defeat was a little startling, with Banner behaving more like the villain.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_War_Myth View Post
    Wow, I did not know about Ultimate Namor being such a terrible criminal.

That art is a deal breaker for me, but it looks like a fun arc.

TomB is a master of Misdirection, not sure how he does it myself.
    Yep, all around.

IIRC, that was Mark Millar's 'revamp' of Namor for the Ultimate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I wonder if the Victor/Namor relationship will track just like those assembly line romance novels from the drug store book racks that I used to read when I was young. They start out hating each other, then they will become BFFs.

There are some days when it is just not safe to look for Doom, Loki or Namor tags on tumblr.
    LOL! It writes itself some days.

Now, now. Victor doesn't ever hate Namor, even when the back stabbing starts. ;p

I wonder if Missipienne made it over?

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    We all know that they're just frustrated.
    Heh. Could be.

[img]
    [/img]
    That is hilarious!

And what everyone else said about that throw down with the Hulk. AMAZING! I wonder who inked those pages.

BANNED

Doom had some pretty good showings in Aaron's Stay Angry IH stories too. He had joined the Future Foundation by then. I tried Waid's Hulk but I kind of lost interest. Banner and Doom rarely mix it up but it can be fun when they do.
    Did we ever get an explanation for that Latverian woman in Aaron's run? Was she related to Doom?

Yeah, I was the same with Waid's Hulk. But part of that is Marvel pulling the bait and switch with the artists after the first arc (if we're lucky).

<snip>

Later on, we see how all the others IQ were affected yet Banner and Victor still haven't totally succumbed to its effects. This world they are experiencing is through Doom's own Liddleville tech that the Leader got his hands on somehow.

Hmmmm. Is that like a doctor's coat for Doom? I kind of like it, but it's a bit ... unique.

Long division. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    say-my-name-again.jpg

That was a powerful moment in the Hulk comic where it looked like Doom was going down but then he rallied, spectacularly.

This was after he bitch-slapped the Intelligentsia, who quite naively left the library of world tech in his care

Overall it was a good showing for Doom, going toe to toe with both Banner and the Hulk. And Skaar. The sudden turn around to defeat was a little startling, with Banner behaving more like the villain.
    Entirely appropriate Walter White image. ;p

Was that the last 'good' showing Doom had?

And yeah, the Intelligencia weren't exactly living up to their name by leaving the library with Doom.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    And yeah, the Intelligencia weren't exactly living up to their name by leaving the library with Doom.
    For a group of genius super villains who teamup together , you would have thought they could have conquered the world by now but they aren't exactly world beaters , didn't they get beat by Doc Ock & his sinister six as well ?

For a group of genius super villains who teamup together , you would have thought they could have conquered the world by now but they aren't exactly world beaters , didn't they get beat by Doc Ock & his sinister six as well ?
    Yup, prior to Ends of the Earth in Amazing Spider-Man. MODOK was rubbing it in that Ock wasn't included.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

The thing about the Intelligencia is that aside from Doom (who obviously didn't stick around in the group all that long), they were sort of B rate villains. Cumulatively they did prove to be a credible threat in Fall of the Hulks at least... but you typially don't get event level stories out of Wizard or the Mad Thinker (Leader MAYBE).

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    but you typially don't get event level stories out of Wizard or the Mad Thinker (Leader MAYBE).
    I would rate Leader a B+ if not A-. He's come up with several nefarious plans against the Hulk over the years, a couple of which have been close calls for the Jade Giant. Still not in Doom's league though.
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

The Good Doctor will be playing a Role in the Upcoming Marvel Event later this year 2014, AXIS!

It will be written by Rick Remender and be spinning off from Uncanny Avengers!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I still like the idea of the Intelligencia as the other side of the coin to the Illuminati. That's kind of disappointing to know they're next appearance was a bit lackluster. I doubt Doom would have stayed but since they were a kind of retro creation, going back to when Egghead was still alive, I wonder if Doom joined them on any other occasions. I think one of his complaints about them is although they made a point of rescuing each other over the years, Doom claimed they never did the same for him.

Did we ever get an explanation for that Latverian woman in Aaron's run? Was she related to Doom?

Yeah, I was the same with Waid's Hulk. But part of that is Marvel pulling the bait and switch with the artists after the first arc (if we're lucky).
    And they are going to do the same with the Inhumans. I think it shows that comics in general have a short supply of top draw artists and maybe that's why were getting a lot of inconsistent art these days. They can make more money doing other projects like Joe Mad does with the video game industry.

As for Amanda Von Doom, we never got any follow up on just what that relationship was. We did see a flashback of her in a Latverian prison cell as an infant but that was it. Since she is an adult, that had to have happened during the previous regime.

Hmmmm. Is that like a doctor's coat for Doom? I kind of like it, but it's a bit ... unique.

Was that the last 'good' showing Doom had?
    I think I enjoyed that one the most at least. He's not in the middle section as much as he is toward the end where the Intelligencia's plan to capture all the MU geniuses comes together. Hickman's focus on Doom was a bit different in that he was including him as an ally of the Future Foundation. He seemed to get into a mess more than anything. While hunting down one of the reneged Reeds, Diablo tried a sneak attack on him (holding an old grudge from Doom's solo story in MSH #20 maybe? ) and then one of the Reed's slapped the lobotomy collar on him. We never did get to see how he was able to hold off the 4 Mad Celestials.

I saw somewhere that Hickman is planning on being done with the Avengers by this time next year. I'm just curious to see what his next Marvel project would be. He seemed to enjoy taking some FF characters with him in his Avengers work. (Namor, Black Panther, Reed, Black Bolt and a sprinkling of Doom here and there)

His report card would probably have "does not play well with others" checked off. You would think Doom would have tons of arcane knowledge from his library, enough to seriously challenge any Sorcerer Supreme. It would have been cool if Marvel planned a mini series around him being the Sorcerer Supreme during Dark Reign but then all the focus was on Osborn and it was decided to give Jericho Drumm a shot at it. That caused a bit of resentment among his fans since it looked like it never was planned to last very long and then they killed him off.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2014 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    The Good Doctor will be playing a Role in the Upcoming Marvel Event later this year 2014, AXIS!

It will be written by Rick Remender and be spinning off from Uncanny Avengers!

The collection of villains seem kind of confusing to me.

Green Goblin I thought was depowered, and Loki is mostly a good guy these days.

Even Doom is somewhat out of place there. He has worked with Red Skull before (as recently as Captain America Reborn), but he's typically not big on the whole super villain team up angle. Unless it's a Doom bot again.

I wonder over the use of the term "Axis"; is it a reference to the WWII powers or to something abstract like the Axis Mundi?
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I wonder over the use of the term "Axis"; is it a reference to the WWII powers or to something abstract like the Axis Mundi?
    It's probably a variety of things. Chief among them might be the simple fact that the word starts with an "A" for Avengers and "X" for X-Men.

Also, Red Skull is front and center. Easy to equate axis with him. If he's the big bad I see him naming his group (if they are indeed a group) something like that. Can't imagine Doom would appreciate the name though.