Page 8 of 337 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Can't imagine Doom would appreciate the name though.
    Plus Skull should know by now Doom never tolerates being off-center for long. Doom's got hidden agendas I'd bet.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Wow, thanks for that news CJ.

I wonder if it has a WWII reference somehow also. One thing that bothers me though is that modern writers seldom bring up the long standing hostility between Doom and the Red Skull, which goes back to his old solo series Astonishing Tales. Most fans remember the beat down that Magneto gave the Red Skull during Acts of Vengeance but I think the Red Skull would also consider Doom as part of an inferior race. Yet IIRC it has seldom been brought up. Maybe it was in that Englehart mini Big Town? I think the Red Skull said either Doom or Magneto (can't remember which) was part of a mongrel people.

Doom did employ the Hauptmann brothers and I believe the first one he killed was a former aide of the Red Skull. They may have been Nazis but these days that can't be possible with the sliding timescale. But considering how the Nazis exterminated many Romani along with Jews and other groups they considered to be undesirable I can't see how Doom would trust the Red Skull very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

I wonder if it has a WWII reference somehow also. One thing that bothers me though is that modern writers seldom bring up the long standing hostility between Doom and the Red Skull, which goes back to his old solo series Astonishing Tales. Most fans remember the beat down that Magneto gave the Red Skull during Acts of Vengeance but I think the Red Skull would also consider Doom as part of an inferior race. Yet IIRC it has seldom been brought up. Maybe it was in that Englehart mini Big Town? I think the Red Skull said either Doom or Magneto (can't remember which) was part of a mongrel people.

Doom did employ the Hauptmann brothers and I believe the first one he killed was a former aide of the Red Skull. They may have been Nazis but these days that can't be possible with the sliding timescale. But considering how the Nazis exterminated many Romani along with Jews and other groups they considered to be undesirable I can't see how Doom would trust the Red Skull very much.
    Yeah, I mentioned it in the other thread but Red Skull is the villain that other villains despise. We're even seeing that in Reminders book with the Twins.

So I'm skepitcal this will be any sort of super villain team up. The collection of characters, like Doom and Loki, just doesn't quite fit. I think those villains will obviously be involved in the story, but I don't see them being BFF's or anything like that. It might be similar to the Cabal where a lot of them just sort of agreed to stay out of Norman's way for the most part (as really that's all the Cabal agreed to do).

Honestly, I can't see Skull's plans not interfering with Doom's. He was willing to work with Loki as long as they weren't at cross purposes (but was willing to experiment on Asgardians nonetheless), but Johann Schmidt is the least trustworthy and lacking even the sense of honor that is often ascribed to Doom.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    G.I. Joe.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, I mentioned it in the other thread but Red Skull is the villain that other villains despise. We're even seeing that in Reminders book with the Twins.

So I'm skepitcal this will be any sort of super villain team up. The collection of characters, like Doom and Loki, just doesn't quite fit. I think those villains will obviously be involved in the story, but I don't see them being BFF's or anything like that. It might be similar to the Cabal where a lot of them just sort of agreed to stay out of Norman's way for the most part (as really that's all the Cabal agreed to do).
    NP Iron Maiden, glad to and was glad to see Doom being used in an Event Comic coming up indeed!

But as XPac said, it is hard see why Doom would work with a person such as Skull, especially since Skull is Hate even among the Villain community. So IMO the 1st major mystery is WHY?!

WHY are these guys working together, if that is what they are even doing? Could be means to an end maybe, or some are mind controlled by Skull, but ones like Doom and Loki I find a hard to seeing that happen to them, it is all right now a Big set of ????? marks at this point.

But right now that is a good amount of the fun and wonder IMO, WHY?! ;-)
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Larroca's pencils for the two-page spread of Doom and his Lieutenants in Claremont's Fantastic Four (Vol. 3) #25. One of his best spreads, IMO. The details in Doom's mask and gauntlets, Dorma's armor, and Technarx's body, are exquisite. The finished art is even better.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...p?piece=280033
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    G.I. Joe.

BANNED

Awesome page! I love Larocca's art from this period.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    The Good Doctor will be playing a Role in the Upcoming Marvel Event later this year 2014, AXIS!

It will be written by Rick Remender and be spinning off from Uncanny Avengers!

Wow. Wasn't I just saying we needed a Doom centric event? This doesn't appear to be that, but at least he's in it, which is more than I can say about ... well, any event of the last decade or so.

That said, not to keen on the writer or with Doom relegated to the back row, barely peeking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I wonder over the use of the term "Axis"; is it a reference to the WWII powers or to something abstract like the Axis Mundi?
    I'm guessing the latter.

Sadly, most modern writers rarely reference past continuity.

Interesting point about the sliding timescale. If Reed didn't fight in WWII, I'm guessing Victor wasn't old enough to remember it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Awesome page! I love Larocca's art from this period.
    Just like Claremont and his Fantastic X..er, Four run, I can't say Larocca has ever really been my cup of tea...but I did/still do like his FF #25, Volume Three cover (as well as the storyline it began...IMO, an arc very late in coming with its exploration of the Reed/Doom yin and yang and continuation of the idea FF #10, Volume One started) which I always felt had/has a FF #200 homage feel to it.

Last edited by Maven; 05-19-2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Addendum.
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Now that Iron Maiden mentioned it in another thread, I really wish that Doom miniseries that Nick Spencer and Becky Cloonan were working on saw the light of day. It would've been amazing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    Just like Claremont and his Fantastic X..er, Four run, I can't say Larocca has ever really been my cup of tea...but I did/still do like his FF #25, Volume Three cover (as well as the storyline it began...IMO, an arc very late in coming with its exploration of the Reed/Doom yin and yang and continuation of the idea FF #10, Volume One started) which I always felt had/has a FF #200 homage feel to it.

I'm not as fond of Larocca's newer stuff, but the stuff of this era I enjoy. That was the issue where Doom and Reed traded places, wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    Now that Iron Maiden mentioned it in another thread, I really wish that Doom miniseries that Nick Spencer and Becky Cloonan were working on saw the light of day. It would've been amazing.
    YES! Though I'd be happy with any well done Doom mini-series.

Here's my art collection of Dr. Doom

My original page from Doomwar #5

Done by Danny Miki

Doom 2099 by Scott Koblish

Not listed

Doom with Todd the Ugliest Kid done by MK Perker

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryd...ker&GCat=98227

another Doom done by Scott Koblish

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryp...?piece=1073784

BANNED

In regards to Doom in the upcoming AXIS event.
    There's a likelihood that he's being mind controlled by Red Skull along with the others.

Remember Skull has Xavier's brain.

Ultimate Member

You just know that Doom (and probably Loki as well) will screw over the Red Skull at the first convenient opportunity. I always imagined Doom being disgusted at the Red Skull. Not only is Doom a member of one of the races that RS considers "inferior," but Doom also considers bigotry in general to be stupid and pointless. I distinctly remember an issue (I forget which one though) where Doom and Dracula were talking. Dracula made his prejudice against Muslim's known and Doom essentially called such thoughts stupid.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    In regards to Doom in the upcoming AXIS event.
    There's a likelihood that he's being mind controlled by Red Skull along with the others.

Remember Skull has Xavier's brain.
    Doom's both a brilliant scientist and a master sorcerer. I kind of find it hard to buy that he could be controlled that easily. He'd have some kind of contingency plan in place in case something like that happened.