Page 9 of 337 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    You just know that Doom (and probably Loki as well) will screw over the Red Skull at the first convenient opportunity. I always imagined Doom being disgusted at the Red Skull. Not only is Doom a member of one of the races that RS considers "inferior," but Doom also considers bigotry in general to be stupid and pointless. I distinctly remember an issue (I forget which one though) where Doom and Dracula were talking. Dracula made his prejudice against Muslim's known and Doom essentially called such thoughts stupid.
    I think that was a Fear Itself tie-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Doom's both a brilliant scientist and a master sorcerer. I kind of find it hard to buy that he could be controlled that easily. He'd have some kind of contingency plan in place in case something like that happened.
    Which he probably will.
    That's the fun of this, we get to see it play out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by THE KZA View Post
    Here's my art collection of Dr. Doom

My original page from Doomwar #5

Done by Danny Miki

Wow! I really like this piece by Miki! Nice!

And have been kicking myself for not getting a piece of Scot Eaton art from Book of the Skull or Doomwar. He's criminally underrated.

Great pieces you have there! Congrats!

BANNED

You know, now that I think about it, being Rememder, that is probably Doom 2009, not 616 Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I'm not as fond of Larocca's newer stuff, but the stuff of this era I enjoy. That was the issue where Doom and Reed traded places, wasn't it?
    Yes, it was. And by default my favorite story of the Claremont FF run...which in turn produced two other Larocca covers I actually like in addition to FF #25, Vol. 3.

"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

BANNED

Those two are great! I love the way Reed / Doom is looking at his mask, and the overlay of circuitry is cool.

I didn't know Claremont wrote for the Fantastic Four. Was his run good in general?

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007
    You just know that Doom (and probably Loki as well) will screw over the Red Skull at the first convenient opportunity. I always imagined Doom being disgusted at the Red Skull. Not only is Doom a member of one of the races that RS considers "inferior," but Doom also considers bigotry in general to be stupid and pointless. I distinctly remember an issue (I forget which one though) where Doom and Dracula were talking. Dracula made his prejudice against Muslim's known and Doom essentially called such thoughts stupid.

Captain Britain and MI 13 #10

Writers should never forget that Doom was born and raised a gypsy, and the Nazi's persecuted and exterminated them in WWII, as they were persecuted and continue to be throughout Europe. And Doom's acquisition of royal bearing is a recent development, he was not born into the aristocracy.

But stupid writers want easy fixes and instant disdain of those born into a life of luxury, not hard choices and research.
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 05-19-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I didn't know Claremont wrote for the Fantastic Four. Was his run good in general?
    I liked Claremont's Heroes Return stuff with Doom. As you can see from the scan Ray posted, Claremont surrounded Doom with several strong women (big surprise).

I only have a few of his FF books, but I liked them. I don't think it was especially innovative, but it was entertaining. Others may disagree.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...psfd748d88.jpg

Captain Britain and MI 13 #10

Writers should never forget that Doom was born and raised a gypsy, and the Nazi's persecuted and exterminated them in WWII, as they were persecuted and continue to be throughout Europe. And Doom's acquisition of royal bearing is a recent development, he was not born into the aristocracy.

But stupid writers want easy fixes and instant disdain of those born into a life of luxury, not hard choices and research.
    I LOVED that series. Such a shame it had such a short run.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fantastic View Post
    Yes, it was. And by default my favorite story of the Claremont FF run...which in turn produced two other Larocca covers I actually like in addition to FF #25, Vol. 3.
    I really liked the last half of Claremont's run but I can see how the beginning turns a lot of people off. He seemed to lean on some X characters a bit. From what I recall at the time, Claremont was off the X-Men (something weird happened there with Jim Lee but that's a long story I guess) and was an editor. Scott Lobdell and Alan Davis did the first few issues of the FF relaunch but there was going to be a different artist and I think Larocca and Lobdell were going to continue. But I know I had the Wizard Mag (not a lot of internet reporting back then) that touted all the new writers for what was then called the Heroes Return line, with Waid on Captain America, Busiek on Avengers and Lobdell as the new FF writer. It was a round table interview with all these writers talking about their plans for their titles. But the for some reason, he left after only a few issues. He's still credited with the plot for a couple of issues that Claremont wrote. One version I read was that Lobdell got a Hollywood job and left comics for a while. So Claremont assigned himself to the book and stayed with it until #31. Of course, Claremont also did the Fantastic Four vs the X-Men mini which we both like. I think its too bad that Claremont sort of limited himself to the X-titles. He did a variety of stuff in his early years like Heroes for Hire IIRC.

And like Rheged, I liked old Larocca instead of the current one where he frequently uses more technology then old fashioned pencilling.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-19-2014 at 11:04 PM.

BANNED

Claremont started Co-writing and #463 with Scott Lobdell and took over at #435 and ended at #461
    The numbering is a bit tricky because this was technically Fantastic Four Vol. 3 due to it being the Heroes Return era. (Reborn being Vol. 2)

As for his run. It was... okay.
    Most of it was spent basically trying kinda new things that really went nowhere.
    What followed was some guest issues by John Moore, until Pacheco signed on from #464-483

Again his run like Claremont's was good... but still a bit lacking.
    What it did was set up some peices for what followed.

A few guest issues by Adan Warren later and the Mark Waid came on at #489 and, well the rest is history.

The whole era between Heroes Return and Waid's run was just well, it was inoffensive to say the least.
    Some stuff happened and that was really it.
    As a Fantastic Four fan I would still recommend that you read it just because.

Wow! I really like this piece by Miki! Nice!

And have been kicking myself for not getting a piece of Scot Eaton art from Book of the Skull or Doomwar. He's criminally underrated.

Great pieces you have there! Congrats!
    That is a nice Doom collection the KZA

I would love to have a Scott Eaton page from Doomwar. I don't know why he doesn't get a lot of work at Marvel. I've seen them go up for sale but I was on a budget. I love that page of him breaking Deadpool's neck (he was a healing factor anyway, doesn't he?)

I have a collection of Doom stuff myself. I did get a signed sketch from Mark Bagley at C2 E2 in the first con held in Chicago. I don't understand the Bagley detractors you see around here. Then two years ago I got a page of Children's Crusade #7 from inker Mark Morales that Jim Cheung was also kind enough to sign for me. They had split up the artwork they did together and Cheung had more of the splash pages and covers, which were out of my price range. The last piece is something I got from Tom Grummett through his agent on eBay. It's a splash page from FF #50 the "Nuff Said" issue. There was this promo stunt that Marvel did where all comics were without words that month, art only. He said I could have it signed and I requested that he put on the border "To an honorary Latverian". Unfortunately it doesn't show up in my photo. Grummett was recently credited among others for the art on Ultimate FF #1 but I sure couldn't tell which pages were his.

I liked Claremont's Heroes Return stuff with Doom. As you can see from the scan Ray posted, Claremont surrounded Doom with several strong women (big surprise).

I only have a few of his FF books, but I liked them. I don't think it was especially innovative, but it was entertaining. Others may disagree.
    I loved the Atlan warrior Queen Dorma. She got confused and thought Sue had married the real Doom, and not Reed trapped in his armor. There was a fight between her and Sue in an FF annual that Louise Simonson wrote IIRC. She and Victor had the hots for each other back on Franklin's planet. The only problem is she was probably the black widow type that would kill her lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    I think that was a Fear Itself tie-in.
    The Captain Britain story "Vampire Nation" happens much earlier, during Dark Reign. Dracula came to Doom because he knew he was a member of the Cabal and wanted assurances that he could carry out his plan to attack Great Britain. IIRC he promised to keep the vampires in check and they wouldn't attack Latveria.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Captain Britain story "Vampire Nation" happens much earlier, during Dark Reign. Dracula came to Doom because he knew he was a member of the Cabal and wanted assurances that he could carry out his plan to attack Great Britain. IIRC he promised to keep the vampires in check and they wouldn't attack Latveria.
    Yeah, my mistake. lol