Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member

I really don't see "the problem" with Nick Fury Jr. He's not the director of shield (unless that's changed recently, I dropped his Avengers book after Spencers run ended). He's a very capable soldier, one of the top tier Shield agents.
    Bringing up that Daisy Johnson is a teenager whenever she's running shield just brings up the suspension of disbelief needed. Norman Osborne ran a shield equivalent. I also like Jr. Because unlike the film version he actually feels closer to the original iteration of fury.

I want X-men 92 (if it's written well and not phoned in).

Given all the recent retcons (half for film synergy) being worried about Marvel rebooting their universe feels kinda redundant.

Just felt the need to defend Nick Jr. as he feels a better fit as a top agent than Coulson

Great article. I think it nicely embodies the inner conflict we all have with our internal fans that overreacts to every announcement like it's the worst comic book news ever. I know I've had my moments when I've reacted like that. But in my experience, that reaction is hardly rational.

My stance on Secret Wars is the same stance I've had since Avengers vs. X-men. I'm relatively indifferent because Marvel has shown time and again that they will only shake things up to a point. Unlike DC, they don't reboot. They'll tweak their continuity every now and then to help streamline it, but they don't throw it away. They tend to preserve what they can. That's why storylines like Ms. Marvel or any series written by Brian Michael Bendis is usually safe. Big events tend to not affect them. And I don't see any reason to believe that this will be any different. These stories will continue. There will be tweaks, but only to a point. And that's how it will remain until Marvel does reboot, which I don't see happening for a long time.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I feel conflicted as well. On one hand, it looks like it could be a fun read, on the other hand, recent track record of events by Marvel ranged from underwhelming to terrible. And i dread the aftermath of this.

I'm not a fan of reboots. Even though i enjoyed the original Crisis for several reasons, i dropped all books from DC after 52 with the exception of Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Unwritten and Fables. Like it has been said already, Crisis was well thought out and executed for the most part, and i feel the DC was a much improved universe to read afterwards. 52 for me was the opposite and it feels detrimental to what was there before.

I hope Marvel doesn't go that route, but i won't be too upset if they do. Plenty of other stuff to read besides Marvel or DC out there. I'll just pick up more Image books or save the money on something else. My wallet will be happier.
    Last edited by Fifolet; 01-22-2015 at 05:56 AM.

Spectacular Member

I'll try to keep an open mind to this event at least until all is said and done. I have a big pull list as it is so I'll most likely trade/omni/whatever wait this event. My favorite Marvel character is Spider-Man, and he's way too popular to get sh*t on in this event. If anything, Spider-Verse will just help to clean up any lingering messes before Secret Wars comes about. Hopefully some of my favorite less popular characters will stick around (in the form that I know them) - that's my biggest fear.
    Also, if this is a whole new universe style event, where everything starts over, I must admit Marvel is pretty dumb with its marketing. Take Spider-Man for example - we have all these new books spinning out of Spider-Verse: Spider-Gwen, Silk, Spider-Woman, just to name a few. Are they just going to be 3 or 4 issue arcs only to have their slate wiped clean with Secret Wars? Then 3 months later a new version and yet ANOTHER renumbering? The whole renumbering/new series works well for certain things, but Marvel is taking it overboard as it is. Take a 3 month hiatus on a title? Have it come back renumbered. Change the creative team? Start it anew, renumbered. Tweak the Avengers or Xmen team books by flipping a few characters? Add some adjective to the title, and start a new series. It gets tiresome keeping up.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dmreyn View Post
    Also, if this is a whole new universe style event, where everything starts over, I must admit Marvel is pretty dumb with its marketing. Take Spider-Man for example - we have all these new books spinning out of Spider-Verse: Spider-Gwen, Silk, Spider-Woman, just to name a few. Are they just going to be 3 or 4 issue arcs only to have their slate wiped clean with Secret Wars? Then 3 months later a new version and yet ANOTHER renumbering? The whole renumbering/new series works well for certain things, but Marvel is taking it overboard as it is. Take a 3 month hiatus on a title? Have it come back renumbered. Change the creative team? Start it anew, renumbered. Tweak the Avengers or Xmen team books by flipping a few characters? Add some adjective to the title, and start a new series. It gets tiresome keeping up.
    Agreed. It's like the US wholesaler Costco, that moves everything around in the store in hopes you'll see something you've passed by before and buy it. But in the process, you can't find what you came in looking for in the first place. You might find something interesting and new, but you never end up getting what you really wanted.
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

Spectacular Member mister_medusa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Agreed. It's like the US wholesaler Costco, that moves everything around in the store in hopes you'll see something you've passed by before and buy it. But in the process, you can't find what you came in looking for in the first place. You might find something interesting and new, but you never end up getting what you really wanted.
    That is an excellent analogy. I hope any Marvel PTB lurking in the forums read this. Great comment!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    I really don't see "the problem" with Nick Fury Jr. He's not the director of shield (unless that's changed recently, I dropped his Avengers book after Spencers run ended). He's a very capable soldier, one of the top tier Shield agents.
    Bringing up that Daisy Johnson is a teenager whenever she's running shield just brings up the suspension of disbelief needed. Norman Osborne ran a shield equivalent. I also like Jr. Because unlike the film version he actually feels closer to the original iteration of fury.

I want X-men 92 (if it's written well and not phoned in).

Given all the recent retcons (half for film synergy) being worried about Marvel rebooting their universe feels kinda redundant.

Just felt the need to defend Nick Jr. as he feels a better fit as a top agent than Coulson
    EH the problem is that he's just not necessary and the ham-fisted way he was brought in. If they kept Nick Fury and still brought in Junior, I don't think there would be any problem. I don't think the character is really that bad, but just unnecessary. As a huge long time fan of 616 Fury, who tried to get into Ultimate Fury, there's just a fundamental difference between Ultimate and 616 Fury. Ultimate Fury just kinda stands around and looks cool, and Sam Jackson does a good job doing that, whereas 616 Fury IS just plain cool, while doing really cool things. Junior just doesn't have that same coolness to him.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nickfury007 View Post
    EH the problem is that he's just not necessary and the ham-fisted way he was brought in. If they kept Nick Fury and still brought in Junior, I don't think there would be any problem. I don't think the character is really that bad, but just unnecessary. As a huge long time fan of 616 Fury, who tried to get into Ultimate Fury, there's just a fundamental difference between Ultimate and 616 Fury. Ultimate Fury just kinda stands around and looks cool, and Sam Jackson does a good job doing that, whereas 616 Fury IS just plain cool, while doing really cool things. Junior just doesn't have that same coolness to him.
    Plus they made Ultimate Fury such a scum bag. IIRC it was Millar's return to the Ultimate line where it was revealed that Fury was cheating on his then wife by reading her address book and sleeping with all her friends, her sister and I think even her mother and brother.

One possible concern is that this could wind up being a case of too much choice. If we think certain franchises and teams lack focus or are overcrowded now, imagine what the landscape will look like with every iteration of every character ever potentially available for use...

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Disco_Magic View Post
    Yeah, that pretty much sums everything up. I'll be watching the highlights from the safety of review columns and forums, where both my wallet and personal stake in characters are safely bundled in a warm blanket of see-you-all-on-the-other-side-of-this-thing.
    Pretty much.

My hope: Marvel saw all that is wrong with "The New 52" and decide to take things slowly in developing/fleshing-out this new MU. Keep the good aspects of characters in, take out the dumb/incoherent/dead-end retcons out.

My fear: They go full fanboy, take the joy out of the stories that people who read Marvel grew up on, and within 5 years they start talking about another reboot because their new MU is a clusterf**k.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by nickfury007 View Post
    Mostly agree with this, Jr. still feels like a step in the right direction concerning what Fury has traditionally been. Its basically the best Fury option around right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Plus they made Ultimate Fury such a scum bag. IIRC it was Millar's return to the Ultimate line where it was revealed that Fury was cheating on his then wife by reading her address book and sleeping with all her friends, her sister and I think even her mother and brother.
    That's so Millar. And really, these types of character antics are why I love most of his work. It appeals to an overly immature side of me, the same side that likes violent Tarantino movies and stories that are basically trashy soap opera's. It's also a cliche, in that 007 kind of way