Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Especially considering how affordable their trades are, theyre taking over my apartment.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Fine View Post
    What is the Image book you are reading?
    Rasputin. The only one that appeals me on a variety of levels (although Velvet is a lot of fun.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T-Fine View Post
    InformationGeek, I agree. I have found some that don't appeal to me. But, they are hitting home runs way more times than they strike out.
    They have an average batting record in my mind. They have an equal amounts of hits (Southern Bastards, Manifest Destiny, Chew) and misses (Intersect, Drumhellar, Wayward). They also put out an equal amount of blandish, average, and or middle of the road material as any company (Shutter, Goners, Sex, Sovereign, and Nowhere Men all come to mind) does now. It's just no one really talks about those books or they forget about them.

They also struck me as the kind of company that worries me that they are a bit too... lax at points with letting their creators run free with no seemingly obvious editor or person to tell them to settle down. Sure, a creator should be allowed to write and be able to create whatever he wants, but sometimes... you need a guy to tell him or her no. It's best summed up like this:

The double-edge sword of the unrestrained creator: Give a guy with a lot of creativity completely free bounds to do whatever he wants, he will create some fascinating things and he'll create some completely utter crap.

I'm really curious if you actually understand how Image works or what the intent of the company is? Because the thing that worries you about the company, is exactly the point of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    They have an average batting record in my mind. They have an equal amounts of hits (Southern Bastards, Manifest Destiny, Chew) and misses (Intersect, Drumhellar, Wayward). They also put out an equal amount of blandish, average, and or middle of the road material as any company (Shutter, Goners, Sex, Sovereign, and Nowhere Men all come to mind) does now. It's just no one really talks about those books or they forget about them.

They also struck me as the kind of company that worries me that they are a bit too... lax at points with letting their creators run free with no seemingly obvious editor or person to tell them to settle down. Sure, a creator should be allowed to write and be able to create whatever he wants, but sometimes... you need a guy to tell him or her no. It's best summed up like this:
    Like any publisher, it's going to have hits and misses and a lot of strong (but less exceptional) stuff in between, but I have to say Image's batting average is well above any domestic comics publisher that I'm aware of. Their best are the best on the shelves. Their worst are at least interesting and ambitious train wrecks (as opposed to derivative, boring schlock). And the middle of their catalog is routinely better and more consistent and less like everything else than what's coming out of the other major publishers, including the range of independents, which also allow for creator-owned properties.

And editing, while generally a useful and productive critical process, is also sometimes interfering, short-sighted or unconcerned with the immediate agenda of a particular title. Editors, after all, are as variable in quality as creators. And since most titles, even for creator-owned properties, are collaborative efforts, there are already more than one self-critical eye on any given series. So far, the model has worked spectacularly. Added editorial oversight—in addition to what is already in place—doesn't seem very pressing or, indeed, beneficial.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm really curious if you actually understand how Image works or what the intent of the company is? Because the thing that worries you about the company, is exactly the point of the company.
    All writing needs editing. Even Eichiro Oda has an editor, and one he actually listens to. Not saying I agree with him, but it is a legitimate concern.

Amazing Member

I am very into about 9 new series right now and 7 are imag . I love Black Science, Fade Out, Wytches and Saga. Deadly Class is good as is Outcast. Fatale was outstanding. They do a great job at making comics that aren't super hero based like DC and Marvel. Almost forgot about Bitch Planet which is awesome. Seems a lot of you guys like velvet. Maybe need to check that one out.

I love a few of the series with a passion though. I'm definitely blown away considering I had never touched comics until about two years ago.

They also have mor than a handful of series that I tried and almost enjoyed . Southern Basterds for example. I don't love it but not a bad series. Copperhead and Cowl are a couple more that didn't do it for me, but are solid titles .
    Last edited by Sandman55; 01-26-2015 at 04:45 PM.

All-New Member

I already have 5 Image books (Tooth & Claw, Lazarus, Fade Out, Thief of Thieves, Velvet) on my list. Plus, with the recent Humble Bundle offering, I have a whole bunch more to read that may warrant adding to my list (Southern Bastards, Deadly Class, Saga, COWL, and more). They are good at offering cheap entry points into new series with their 9.99 TPBs.

I'm buying Velvet, Lazarus, Fade Out, Jupiter Legacy, COWL, Black Science, Copperhead, Zero and waiting for Paper Girls and Injection.

After every Marvel event my Image list grows.
    Last edited by Winterboy; 01-27-2015 at 06:56 AM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Just like every company they have some Great titles and some miserable titles. My only issue with Image is that sometimes books disappear and you have no idea what happened.

Image is quickly becoming my favorite publisher.

The single issues (and then digital backups) I buy are Lazarus, Velvet, Death Vigil, Rat Queens & Copperhead. I'll definitely add Monstress to this list (and possibly Paper Girls).

I read a few others digitally when they come down in price: Bitch Planet, Jupiter's Legacy, Pretty Deadly, IXth Generation and will most likely add Jupiter's Circle and Chononaughts to that.

And I trade wait Saga.
    Last edited by klynn; 01-27-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Couldn't stand Saga

I'm reading

Ratqueens
    Chew
    Nailbiter
    Copperhead
    Spread
    Birthright
    The Autumnlands
    Wytches
    oh and Outcast
    and Morning Glories

Looking forrward / thinking about Nameless and Secret Indentities
    Last edited by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus; 01-29-2015 at 07:21 AM.

Amazing Member

Here's what I get from Image every month: (not in any particular order) Deadly Class, Rat Queens, Manifest Destiny, The Mercenary Sea, Velvet, Rocket Girl, The Walking Dead, Jupiter's Legacy, Low, Death Vigil, Birthright, The Fade Out, Wytches, Penny Dora and the Wishing Box, Peter Panzerfaust, Saga, Alex + Ada and the Autumnlands.

Kinda heavy on my expenses but all worth it.

Extraordinary Member

I just ordered Southern Bastards and the Divine + Wicked.
    What appeals about Image most is the superb diversity on offer and the prices! The TPBS are half the cost of a Marvel TPB.

007 girl.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fn Man View Post
    Just like every company they have some Great titles and some miserable titles. My only issue with Image is that sometimes books disappear and you have no idea what happened.
    This. The Top Cow line started of strong and now it seems only Witchblade is lingering on...but when I started buying comics again back in the late 90s, it started of with Top Cow books.

But some of their books are on my pull-list these days.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.