Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    Do they have any black protagonist except for Spawn?Just wondering.
    In the early days of Image, there was Shadowhawk.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I certainly read a lot of Image, but honestly, they are just another company. They got a lot of mediocre and middle of the road books overall longside their good books that people seem to forget about. Not everything they have is gold (I mean, did anyone read this week's Intersect?).
    The other funny thing I find is that some ppl talk about Image as if it's self-producing publisher. I think only the titles from the various imprints' head honchos (Walking Dead, Spawn, Witchblade, etc) actually are "produced" by Image. BKV and Rucka could've easily taken Saga and Lazarus to Dark Horse or BOOM! I don't give Image credit for East of West or Revival or Manifest Destiny. Image doesn't even edit some titles they publish.

It'd almost be like giving the Nugget Rib Cook-Off (aka Reno BBQ festival) credit for making such great BBQ. Well...they don't. It's the chefs who go there that provide the food, not the cook-off hosts.

But I know, it's just semantics. The titles do have the Image stamp on the cover, so they're no doubt Image titles. But they're really the creators' titles, not Image's (for the most part). I won't praise Image for the titles that are out since they have no creative say (again, for the most part), but I will praise Image for being the go-to publisher for a lot of high-quality creators.

I'll also give Image credit for turning down alot of pitches they get (allegedly). They aren't just some publishing whore.

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    Image is just killing it. I've said it before and I'll say it a million times over. Image consistently comes out with the best new titles and keeps the quality of their existing titles
    like this is pretty much exactly what i was talking about. Image doesn't "keep the quality" of all of their existing titles (again, WD, Invincible, etc being the exception), that's up to the creators.

Even the title is misleading. How much of our $ is Image really getting? The creators pay them. I think our money mostly goes to the creators?

edit:
    Not that I'm ripping on any posters or fans or anything. Hell, I'm sure even I slip out the general "man, Image is so good" from time to time. It's just an observation.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 02-28-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Well, Image as a publisher do decide what gets published under their banner. (and yes, they do reject about 90% of what's submitted) So they are in a sense keeping the quality. While last I knew, the submission only requires 5 completed pages of comics, you do have to largely know how and where your story ends. They're looking for considered work.

Also, Kirkman being a partner doesn't change how his books are produced vs any other title. He can afford an editor, but that's still a choice he's made. He doesn't have to have one, and Image aren't providing that for him.

Image front the production costs on a book, and take that money back out of sales. The creators won't get paid until Image has made its cost back. After that, it is all profit in the creators pocket. Image are a publisher, but they really don't operate like most other publishers in the comics business.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Also, Kirkman being a partner doesn't change how his books are produced vs any other title. He can afford an editor, but that's still a choice he's made. He doesn't have to have one, and Image aren't providing that for him.
    right, but him providing his own editor, or choosing not to, is still an "Image decision", per se, since he's an executive at Image. The 5 partners/heads of the different imprints are what I consider to "be" Image. Kirkman's Image work "is" Image. Savage Dragon "is" Image. I'm not 100% sure of the involvement, but I'd guess anything under the TMP or Top Cow label "is" Image, imo. These are self-sustaining titles by the Image partners themselves. They're representative of Image, if you will. Greg Rucka's Image work "is not" Image. Skullkickers "is not" Image. They're the creators', and those creators essentially just pay Image for the resources and Image stamp, as we've pointed out.

I almost want to say something like if someone wanted to sue Todd McFarlane for breach of contract over some lettering deal, they could probably easily include Image as a defendant. If someone wanted to sue Ales Kot for the same offense, they could include Image as a defendant, but I'm sure it'd be more difficult to find judgment against them.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Thanks to everyone that answered my question!

Amazing Member

Image is now dropping Descender on us too?!

picked up three image comics today. Black Science #12, Saga #26, and Descender #1. For a horror fix image gives me Wytches and Outcast. Then you have Brubaker and Phillips releasing amazing crime stuff with Fade Out and the new Criminal one shot. Deadly class I have refallen in love with recently. Colors are outstanding especially if you are an 80s person. I am new to comics and must say I wouldn't be nearly as into the medium if Image wasn't around. I do love Batman, and Sandman current titles. As well as old DC stuff like Swamp Thing. But as far as the new stuff is concerned, DC and Marvel aren't really coming close to image.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Fine View Post
    I have found some that don't appeal to me. But, they are hitting home runs way more times than they strike out.
    +1

10char
    #MagnetoWasRight

Just read Starlight tpb.

MM's old Flash Gordon is awesome. Fingers crossed for a sequel.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

I've started to get into Image and one if the biggest selling points apart from you know, great work and all , but that they are mainly limited series . For me, that's a big selling point because you don't have to worry if Saga gets an issue 300 or something like that . I picked up the first TPB of Saga and Nailbiter the other day and I'm excited to get into them. I already read Revival and thought it was pretty good, can't wait to get more into it

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Image is awesome! Descender blew my mind! But can anyone tell me what East of West is about ive read the first three trades and honestly can't get a handle on it outside of the APocalypse is coming. Its weird Its like I like it but for some reason I feel like im missing something?
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Couldn't stand Saga

There are very few people who don't like Saga, but I am one of them too. I just didn't get the hype around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    There are very few people who don't like Saga, but I am one of them too. I just didn't get the hype around it.
    I like it but better in trade
    Militant Anti-Villain
    The Ghost Militant...

Image does have a lot of diverse books on its roster, but if it wasn't for the cheap introductory price of its trades I wouldn't own half of what I do. I feel comfortable putting down a few quid to try out a complete story via a $9.99 Image trade rather than paying the $4.99 for a single issue Marvel comic as I have done so recently. And with the prohibitive exchange rates in British comic shops, trying single issues is becoming less and less appealing. In one shop I paid £3.25 for a $3.99 comic, that's a tad less than I pay for an Image introductory trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Image does have a lot of diverse books on its roster, but if it wasn't for the cheap introductory price of its trades I wouldn't own half of what I do. I feel comfortable putting down a few quid to try out a complete story via a $9.99 Image trade rather than paying the $4.99 for a single issue Marvel comic as I have done so recently. And with the prohibitive exchange rates in British comic shops, trying single issues is becoming less and less appealing. In one shop I paid £3.25 for a $3.99 comic, that's a tad less than I pay for an Image introductory trade.
    Exactly!! I say this all the time. Their publishing plan is just superior to Marvel or DC's.
    Militant Anti-Villain
    The Ghost Militant...

I read the first few issues and it didn't do anything for me, though I am tempted by the Oversized hardcover they have released... I'm a sucker for hardbacks.