Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is Peter Parker a loser?

i asked this because since the raimi films came alot of people even comic book fans seem to forget that peter has always grown alot of confidence over the years and even in the silver age was enough to talk back to flash and jameson. he is always witty and charismatic yet people think he's not. they also seem to forget that alot of people think he's a hot stuff even looks like one as well. this is basically my problems with the raimi films. obviously since they've come out alot of people mistaken peter is this eternal wallflower when there is plenty to show that he is not. when comparing tobey and every version of peter he acts and talks alot different than what people are use to like he's an actual human. creators like ditko, bendis, romita, fraction, dematteis, stern, defalco, weisman, conway, wein, wolfman, millar, david, etc. have always written him as a much confident, charismatic, and intelligent person and yet thanks to raimi audiances even long time fans forget that even not digging anything deeper to his history. they also forget that he's a very flawed character meaning that he's not the most responsible nor the most emotionally stabled. he's basically alot more selfish than you realize. infact Edge of Time was the first adaptation where they showed how the real peter parker is like. now all of a sudden people think he's mister perfect without any redeeming flaws just to make us agree with most of his desicions instead of either thinking it's right or wrong. peter in his life have made so many mistakes and decisions i don't normally side with and yet maguire always makes the right decisions all the time even ones that made the audiances sympathize with him alot which doesn't seem to make him any more human. what i'm saying is that thanks to maguire peter is pretty much ruined IMHO

what do you think of this problem? do you think peter has always been this loser or not.
    Last edited by marvelguy25; 01-22-2015 at 03:05 AM.

Saves lives, owns a company, and most importantly had a long term seriously committed relationship with a super model, not a loser

Almost like Tom Brady if Tom saved lives

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Three very good reasons why Peter Parker is not a loser...

Awesome picture

/semi-rant

That Raimi's Peter was a total is hyperbolic. He was still able to maintain conversations with people and in the first film was bold enough to approach MJ to get her pictures for the yearbook. We also see him talking just fine with Betty, Gwen and Ursula, his landlord's daughter. And while he wasn't the motor mouth he was in the comics, that didn't mean he didn't make jokes ("here's your change", I'm the sheriff in these parts, Doc Ock: you're getting on my nerves Spider-Man: I have a knack for that). Raimi knows that there is a time and a place for jokes and a battle isn't always the right time and place.

And while we do see Peter depressed in the films it's for good reasons. First film, Uncle Ben's death and graduation where he remembers him. Second film, he starts to see how being Spider-Man is taking a toll on his personal life. He manages to strike a balance in the third film only to have Harry and the symbiote derail it all.
    /rant ends.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, no Peter isn't a total loser and I don't think any of the films really support that. I do think the comics have been stuck in that rut for a long time though that might be more to do with their ongoing nature.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Kal-el View Post
    Saves lives, owns a company, and most importantly had a long term seriously committed relationship with a super model, not a loser
    To reiterate:

Made a deal with Satan's comics avatar. Aborted his love for said model and aborted his daughter(s). Can't even convince Uncle Ben to join his team, has to let Ock do it. Loser.

At least that version is.

Every other Peter? Proud father of a super hero? Stan's daily take where he remains committed to a loyal and successful actress wife? My kind of guy.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; 01-22-2015 at 07:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    /semi-rant

That Raimi's Peter was a total is hyperbolic. He was still able to maintain conversations with people and in the first film was bold enough to approach MJ to get her pictures for the yearbook. We also see him talking just fine with Betty, Gwen and Ursula, his landlord's daughter. And while he wasn't the motor mouth he was in the comics, that didn't mean he didn't make jokes ("here's your change", I'm the sheriff in these parts, Doc Ock: you're getting on my nerves Spider-Man: I have a knack for that). Raimi knows that there is a time and a place for jokes and a battle isn't always the right time and place.

And while we do see Peter depressed in the films it's for good reasons. First film, Uncle Ben's death and graduation where he remembers him. Second film, he starts to see how being Spider-Man is taking a toll on his personal life. He manages to strike a balance in the third film only to have Harry and the symbiote derail it all.
    /rant ends.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, no Peter isn't a total loser and I don't think any of the films really support that. I do think the comics have been stuck in that rut for a long time though that might be more to do with their ongoing nature.
    Having conversations with people did not make him not a loser. It's the way he talks, acts, dresses, and looks. He's ways monotonous and inept all the time. Very much wooden. He barely made a good expression.He never was charismatic, sly, expressive nor anything a normal human being nor Peter acted like. He's just George Mcfly but worse. Tobey as spidey was also piss poor with how the delivery was handled, how he moved, and the writing felt forced.

BANNED

I'd say his life is rather glamorous, but especially so lately.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Three very good reasons why Peter Parker is not a loser...

That says it all especially the Redhead in the middle. I still argue there is no woman in fiction hotter than MJ.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler53 View Post
    That says it all especially the Redhead in the middle. I still argue there is no woman in fiction hotter than MJ.
    Not only that but smart, witty and immensely supportive of Peter's choices when she's written properly. I do like Gwen and Felicia but my stance is that Gwen loved Peter but not Spider-Man, and Felicia loves Spider-Man but not Peter. Only MJ appear to love both sides of Peter, generally speaking.

BANNED

Of course not. Forget the women. Guy has saved countless lives and even the world once or twice.

Now he may seem like that to some of his cast, but them are the breaks when you're a superhero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Of course not. Forget the women. Guy has saved countless lives and even the world once or twice.

Now he may seem like that to some of his cast, but them are the breaks when you're a superhero.
    Don't forget that Peter himself for years has been very confident and charasmatic. People have stated that in 2 Peter being charasmatic is bad even for comic book fans but guess for fans they act like frauds

No, he's a kvetcher. No matter what situation he's in, he'll find something to complain about.

Ultimately, Peter refuses to give up even in the face of the strongest adversity. That's the quality of a winner, not a loser.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

I think Peter often sabotages his own happiness because of his overriding sense of guilt stemming from Uncle Ben's death. Part of him feels he doesn't deserve lasting contentment. Now that doesn't make him a loser, much like Batman, he's just a deeply flawed hero with a massive self martyr complex.

In a team up I think Batman would punch and abandon Peter after his second pun. Bats would feel Peter isn't taking this seriously