Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Jake Gyllenhaal Turns Down "Suicide Squad"

The "Nightcrawler" star reportedly passes on the role of Rick Flag following the departure of Tom Hardy from Warner Bros.' supervillain team-up movie.

Full article here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The "Nightcrawler" star reportedly passes on the role of Rick Flag following the departure of Tom Hardy from Warner Bros.' supervillain team-up movie.

Full article here.
    So no one wants to play the guy who gets punked by the rest of the cast. Can't blame 'em.

Kinda sad though, that they're gonna make Rick Flag the straight man. He took on freakin' Batman, and between him and Tiger, he kept the squad in line through sheer bad-ass.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Smart move tbh.

Why waste his time on a b line character when he can go do movies where he's the lead?

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Not surprising given his not great experience on Prince of Persia (that turned him off to blockbuster roles.) And if the character's role was diminished for Smith and Leto, equally understandable.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Warp Spasm View Post
    Not surprising given his not great experience on Prince of Persia (that turned him off to blockbuster roles.) And if the character's role was diminished for Smith and Leto, equally understandable.
    Wish that worked out. Need more videogame adaps that work out, especially long running franchises like Prince of Persia, or Assassins' Creed this December.

Glad to hear some news either, still hoping they lock someone good down soon.

LOL Rick Flag was probably sold as the "leader" of the team, when everyone knows by nature of his attitude it defaults to Deadshot as the Lead!
    The fact that it's Smith drives it home.

Also following formula, Flag probably dies, sacrificing his life for the team so he can deliver the - don't mater who you were, now it's about finishing the mission - speech.

If they weren't cast at this point, anyone new should just consider themselves background fodder. It's in the title.
    Last edited by Güicho; 01-22-2015 at 06:53 AM.

Fantastic Member wickedmountain's Avatar

Meh proably wasn't the right choice anyway.

Good for him, he's better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Good for him, he's better than that.
    Better than that? What's so low about Rick Flagg, or Suicide Squad? Will Smith, Jared Leto, or Jai Courtney?

DAVID. AYER.

Better than what? And, I know what people might say to this, but we don't know how minimal his role'd be, or if he'd be killed off, or anything. We don't know, until we see the film.

I mean he can go make an interesting film, instead of this. I'd rather watch him in Prisoners, Enemy or Nightcrawler than a superhero movie.

I may be harsh, but to me, this has "fan-film" and "cash-in on superhero buzz" written all over it.

Nothing wrong with that, but if you're starring in gritty roles and trying to convince audiences that you're a damn good actor, as opposed to a pretty face who flexes muscles in big budget soulless outings, then I can see why he opted out, regardless of the character or his part in the story.

He probably doesn't want to be anyone's second choice.

Amazing Member

They need to call up Banshee actor Antony Starr(plays the lead character sheriff Hood on Banshee) to play Rick Flag. He plays the in your face, I'm in charge, bad ass role very well. You can get him on the cheap as well, since he isn't a superstar big money per film actor like Gyllenhaal is.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Who knew the white guy would be hard to cast?

Extraordinary Member

To be fair, Jake could do "Bigger" projects.