Super Moderator

Default Simon Pegg to Co-Write "Star Trek 3"

The actor, who co-wrote "Shaun of the Dead," "Hot Fuzz" and "The World's End," will work with "Dark Blue" creator Doug Jung on the screenplay.

Full article here.

I know that Pegg has a big fanbase, and I'm not intending to diss him at all, but i will say that his involvement with the project does make me wonder about the potential for any kind of real drama in it. Am I wrong in saying he's pretty much a comic (i.e. comedy) writer?

Ultimately, this franchise doesn't do it for me, at all, anyway, so I guess whoever wrote it it's hard to imagine I'd be excited. Just seems an odd choice in a way.

Spectacular Member ThiefHookUps's Avatar

I wonder if they brought him on because the last Star Trek was so dark (it had a journey into it and everything!) and generally meh-received, so they want to go another route. I honestly don't know if this is good news or bad news. I liked the first Star Trek but the second one didn't do it for me.

Incredible Member

I think there's serious potential in this.

Simon Pegg can do dark and make you laugh at the same time.

I'll have to wait and see, but from what I understand, he knows his star trek.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    I know that Pegg has a big fanbase, and I'm not intending to diss him at all, but i will say that his involvement with the project does make me wonder about the potential for any kind of real drama in it. Am I wrong in saying he's pretty much a comic (i.e. comedy) writer?

Ultimately, this franchise doesn't do it for me, at all, anyway, so I guess whoever wrote it it's hard to imagine I'd be excited. Just seems an odd choice in a way.
    Pegg is one of those guys who really knows how to balance real laughs with genuine pathos, as he's shown in damn near everything he has ever written. He's a really intelligent guy and a genuinely good writer so I can't see this as being anything but a very, very good thing indeed.

But then, I actually really liked Into Darkness (warts and all) so what do I know?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Well I hope this turns out better than what I personally think. I know Pegg is a fan and that. But for me, Pegg's Scotty is as annoying and film stopping as Saldana's Uhura. If Pegg can make those characters work (hard considering Saldana has never convinced me she was any character she portrays) and write a fun, compelling Trek story for the entire cast, my hat off to him. Right now I think this a lousy idea.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Pegg is one of those guys who really knows how to balance real laughs with genuine pathos, as he's shown in damn near everything he has ever written. He's a really intelligent guy and a genuinely good writer so I can't see this as being anything but a very, very good thing indeed.
    Beat me to it. I think the major reason why his comedy works is because he has real characters with real development in very thoroughly personal situations, which, frankly, is more than I can say for most of the characters in Into Darkness.

Between Justin Lin directing, who can balance ensemble work, and Pegg, whose writing is character-driven, I haven't been this excited since hearing that Abrams joined the Trek franchise.

As for his Scotty being annoying, I blame the other writers for that -- I also find him overly obnoxious. But when he gets his **** together or fights side by side with Kirk, I like watching this incarnation.

hopefully all the traditional "supporting" players will have quite a bit to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hopefully all the traditional "supporting" players will have quite a bit to do.
    One thing I like about the nuTrek movies is that everyone has something substantial to add to the plot, though perhaps not as much in Into Darkness. Compare how people like Chekov and Sulu have moments to shine, to how the last two TNG movies essentially forgot that Crusher and LaForge existed. They had a couple nice moments but weren't integral to the plots of those movies.

Could the supporting players use more time? Yes, of course, but I bet Pegg's the guy who can do it.

It will only work if he can bring Nick Frost in the play Harry Mudd.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    One thing I like about the nuTrek movies is that everyone has something substantial to add to the plot, though perhaps not as much in Into Darkness. Compare how people like Chekov and Sulu have moments to shine, to how the last two TNG movies essentially forgot that Crusher and LaForge existed. They had a couple nice moments but weren't integral to the plots of those movies.

Could the supporting players use more time? Yes, of course, but I bet Pegg's the guy who can do it.
    Agree with that.

I think Pegg is a good writer, i'm sure the script will be quite well done with his quality writing.