Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Scarlet Spiders #3 Spoilers/ Discussion

Didn't see one of these for Scarlet Spider's #3 so thought I'd make one.

Now the mini has ended what did people think of Mike Costa's story and Paco Diaz's art?

I thought that this arc was a hidden Gem, although the sacrificial lamb was pretty much telegraphed. The whole arc was handled well and I enjoyed this and the impact it now has in turning the tide in favour of the Spider Army.

Well for those that wish to read I posted my review of this issue and the arc overall here

http://themanwhocollectsspiderman.bl...rs-3-hero.html

I loved the whole mini but this issue was my favorite spider verse period. Ben has always been my favorite character and though I saw the end coming and was sad, it blew me away. I loved how heroic he was. How his interactions with Kane and Jessica were. He went out a hero. Glad I have had been able to read Ben Reilly one more time

When i was reading amazing i knew i had to stop at the first page when jennix was talking about how his lab got destroyed.

I really liked the issue. Was fun to read how this ben reilly always seems to win and doesnt have the parker luck.
    The fight was pretty brutal and really had me on the edge of my seat if he seriously hurt one of the

I liked all 3 clones. Amd jess....ah another spider who is more intelligent then the 616 version lol.
    Ending was to be expected.

BANNED

What a rewarding story this has been. And all in all, this Ben has it all, cunningness, resourcefulness, has a caviler and headstrong attitude that has seen him scrape through things not even 616 Peter has gotten through, and most of all, finds dignity in death, and always reckons there's a way out of everything even at the last possible instance. He gives you hope even faced with the rational sense there is none.

I missed Ben then, I'll miss him now. 'Till the next nostalgia pop is needed Mr. Reily.

Best series of the whole Spider-Verse line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    What a rewarding story this has been. And all in all, this Ben has it all, cunningness, resourcefulness, has a caviler and headstrong attitude that has seen him scrape through things not even 616 Peter has gotten through, and most of all, finds dignity in death, and always reckons there's a way out of everything even at the last possible instance. He gives you hope even faced with the rational sense there is none.

I missed Ben then, I'll miss him now. 'Till the next nostalgia pop is needed Mr. Reily.

Best series of the whole Spider-Verse line.
    I wholeheartedly agree this was more than a fitting tribute to Ben. I was worried before hand that any death he faced would be fudged but I feel this was handled with respect towards the fans of him. and I'll miss him more this time round.

Ultimate Member

Who know what else would have been "respectful" to his fans, NOT killing him off. Especially since it was so freaking obvious from minute 1 that he was going to be the one to get the axe. But then again pointlessly killing characters off has been the point of this sad excuse for an "event" thus far, so why should it change now.

Probably the best issue of the mini. Shame all character moments were delayed up to this point. The double meaning of "Wanna know what it feels like to lose?" (aimed at both Jennix and Ben himself) was especially poignant.

As obvious as the death seems (and necessary for the dramatic punch of the story), don't forget Jess is stranded in Loomworld; Ben could still reappear at the last minute. What kind of point-blank explosion kills someone but leaves their mask unburned as well as no body to be found? They used that trick in USM during Ultimatum and it didn't stick for more than two issues.

If this doesn't happen, well. There's still headcanon.

BANNED

Ben Reilly really needs to have an extented conversation with Jean Grey and Optimus Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Who know what else would have been "respectful" to his fans, NOT killing him off. Especially since it was so freaking obvious from minute 1 that he was going to be the one to get the axe. But then again pointlessly killing characters off has been the point of this sad excuse for an "event" thus far, so why should it change now.
    it was handled more respectfully than the first time around. with the whole Look we've definitely killed him happy now? attitude that was displayed back in the 90's.

Plus he had the attitude of a true hero. His optimism was amazing. Even in his last second alive he had hope, gives me a little

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Probably the best issue of the mini. Shame all character moments were delayed up to this point. The double meaning of "Wanna know what it feels like to lose?" (aimed at both Jennix and Ben himself) was especially poignant.

As obvious as the death seems (and necessary for the dramatic punch of the story), don't forget Jess is stranded in Loomworld; Ben could still reappear at the last minute. What kind of point-blank explosion kills someone but leaves their mask unburned as well as no body to be found? They used that trick in USM during Ultimatum and it didn't stick for more than two issues.

If this doesn't happen, well. There's still headcanon.
    That moment really brought a tear to my eye, daft as it sounds but his eternal optimism was infectious.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Brit View Post
    That moment really brought a tear to my eye, daft as it sounds but his eternal optimism was infectious.
    Nah I get ya. It was truly the most emotional moment of the book(s).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    This. I almost don't want to finish Spider-verse now. All these multiverse Spider's that I could care less about (cough, Spider-Gwen, cough) and we couldnt even get one version of Ben to survive? I dropped Spidy comics back when they first killed Ben and didn't pick up another Spidy comic until the "Big Time" era, but all it took was another Ben death to really not care about the Spidy franchise anymore.

I'm going to finish Spider-verse, but then I'm done. AND I've enjoyed this event so far.

BEN, NOOOOO! ...

Even though I knew it was gonna happen, I still got really sad when Ben died. I'm glad, though, that at least his death was written well, and it had so much depth and emotion, all with just a few simple boxes of omniscient narration. He lived a hero, died a hero. In my opinion, it wasn't pointless. I don't necessarily think he HAD to die, but his death definitely meant something. I could probably write an essay about it, but I'll just say this: Ben created his own identity when he should have just been 'someone else'. And he succeeded everywhere where the 'original copy' failed. But sacrificing himself so that everyone else has a chance it's heroic and noble, and such a refreshing break from the one panel deaths of all the other spiders that have fallen.

Also, a clone destroying a clone facility? Amazing.
    "Once you're an avenger, it never fails. Sooner or later, the time comes when it's your turn to step up to the plate. Just make sure you're ready"

I thought it was interesting to see how key events from fairly recent Spider-Man comics went differently in Ben's POV (which can be fuel for an interesting discussion about whether Ben is better than Peter) and I enjoyed that the victory in this issue was consequential for the larger Spider-Verse storyline.

That said, this really should not have shipped the same day as an issue of Amazing which dealt with Ben's death.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets