Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should Batman have more of a sense of humor?

Now, I'm not asking that Batman should be a happy-go-lucky crime-fighting adventurer with a perpetual smile on his face, or crack jokes every thirty seconds like Spider-Man does, but would it really hurt for the character to make a dry quip or a humorous remark more often, just so he isn't a completely humorless bastard? It's something that kind of annoys me about the modern incarnation of the character, since judging from older versions of Batman in the comics, he wasn't always like this. Also, I'm talking about Batman only; obviously, when Bruce Wayne is out of costume he is a much more sociable guy.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Diedrich Bader who does the voice of Bats in Brave & The Bold said something along the lines of whenever Bats does tell a joke it's just for himself and that's on the money for me.

I wouldn't complain if it wasn't overdone, but his straight-edge over-seriousness it what makes Joker so great as a polar opposite.

BANNED

I'm pretty sure he does make jokes on occasion.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I think Batman should be funny, casually, and Joker shouldn't ever be more funny than he is horrifying. I know that's out of step with a lot of fans, but it's what works for me.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED