Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Jason Todd is arguably another major example (before he died, came back and became the Red Hood of course). In fact, I think Batman's MO to a large extent is rehabilitating small-time criminals and making sure that they never end up doing something really bad. I doubt he'll spent much time trying to rehabilitate the Joker (though he did sorta try in The Killing Joke).

Also, there's an episode of TAS (or rather 'The New Batman Adventures') where he roughs up this crook in front of his family, an event which leads to Dick ending their partnership and quitting as Robin. Years later, Dick, now Nightwing, discovers that the crook was later given a job at Wayne Enterprises and is now a decent law-abiding citizen, thanks to Batman's intervention (as well as Bruce Wayne)...which convinces Dick that his ex-mentor wasn't ALL about vengeance.

Incredible Member

There was a Christmas story where a guy robbed a street corner Santa of his donation bucket and Batman tracked him down. Trailed him to an apartment just as the guy returned to his home and his little girl. The guy confessed he stole the money because he was out of work and needed money for food for his daughter. Batman told him to turn himself in after Christmas and he'll put in a good word with the Commissioner. Also gave him a wad of cash and a Wayne Enterprise card with Bruce Wayne's private number where he'll get a job there.

In another story Batman prevented a couple of guys from becoming criminals after they heard a few stories about Batman.

Amazing Member

This is a bit of pull but I'd throw out Cassandra Cain as a semi-example. I love Cass so I would never want to minimize the steps she personally took to forge herself into a hero (before the post solo run BS anyway) but for quite awhile she stood at a crossroads between a dark path and a heroic one. I would argue that the influence Batman and his mission had on her was a significant factor in her becoming a hero instead of a highly dangerous villain.
    Last edited by SOLID MATTIC; 01-24-2015 at 03:50 AM.

BANNED

You can't rehabilitate a person using violence.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

No, which is why Batman is a failure.
    Miller was right.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I've always considered a punch in the face, as a form of rehabilitation. Though for some reason this is frowned upon in real life.

Astonishing Member

It's rare for Bats to rehabilitate super-criminals, but he helps out everyday folks who have turned to crime out of desperation all the time.

Ellie comes right to mind. Tiny little teenage girl walking the streets? Now she's the receptionist at the Wayne Foundation Building. There was actually a similar scenario in Dini's Streets of Gotham, with a girl who got tagged by Firefly's incendiary "bugs", though I believe she was just a street person akin to the kids you see on Fox's "Gotham", not a teenage prostitute.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    He would totally help reform Harvey Dent and make it stick if DC Comics would actually allow it to happen.
    He technically reformed Harvey Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Yes, as nepenthes already mentioned.
    Oops - I missed that

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    No, which is why Batman is a failure.
    You're missing the point of Batman. He's a deterrent, not a rehab clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    You're missing the point of Batman. He's a deterrent, not a rehab clinic.
    Tell that to Superman and Wonder Woman fans :P

Maybe not Batman's but it is Bruce Wayne's job..
    no

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I don't think Batman believes in redemption in any case
    no

It could easily be done.
    and no

It's not his or Bruce Wayne's job to rehabilitate a criminal, however Batman does believe in redemption. Maybe to a fault even.

The biggest problem with Bruce/Bats idea of rehabilitation is that he still, naively, believes in the "system" to sort things out for right or wrong. No system is perfect, especially Gotham's, so these criminals aren't going to get the deeply needed help they deserve.

Also, another problem stems from the fact that "super villains' don't want to change. They want to be bad no matter what (other than pre-new Riddler, HQ, and arguably Mr Freeze who went straight for whatever reason).

Like many others have mentioned in this thread, it's easier and more common for Bats/Bruce to successfully rehabilitate low-level criminals than super villains.
    Last edited by teddyeatsyourface; 01-26-2015 at 09:21 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomune View Post
    Tell that to Superman and Wonder Woman fans :P
    Why would I ever talk to them?