Default ELEKTRA #10 Discussion/Spoilertalk

'Because tsaimelemoni ain't put one up yet', is why.

Quick synopsis:
    spoilers:
    The issue actually starts before the preview pages, with Elektra inwardly expressing nervousness at the thought of going into Bullseye's mind with the help of Kento's telepathy. She does so anyway, of course, and we get the preview scenes, with Elektra following a constant scream through the statue garden of Bullseye's kills and wishlist until she finds 'Lester' curled up at the memorial to her own death. When asked about the Assassins Guild leadership, he pleads innocence, pointing out he's been blind and paralyzed for quite some time, but Elektra threatening to break said memorial (thus erasing the memory itself) loosens his tongue, and he tells her to go to Kampung Monyet in Jakarta. Elektra exits Bullseye's mind and makes to kill him, but Cape Crow stops her, pointing out he might still be of use.

The sort-of team reaches Jakarta, with Crow staying behind while Elektra and Kento head into Kampung Monyet ('Monkey Village'). It is unsurprisingly full of monkeys. More surprising is that these monkeys draw knives and attack. Elektra figures they're under telepathic control and hurts them to draw out their puppeteer, who turns out to be the leader of the Assassins Guild...and also a very small child. She overpowers Kento when he tries to peer into her mind. Elektra threatens her, but the girl calls her bluff, knowing she won't attack an unarmed kid (what, knife monkeys don't count as weapons?). In fact, the girl knows Elektra so well that she's essentially played Elektra from the start, or at least since #6. She knew Elektra would free Bullseye to get at his secrets, and convinced the Hand to join in because they both wanted to see Bullseye restored...and they got their wish. Bullseye appears, healed by the effects of the bloody spring, with an unconscious/dead Cape Crow in hand. He downs Kento with a thrown playing card, and as Elektra squares off against him, a battalion of Hand ninjas appear to back him up.

Oh, and the monkeys, too. Gotta watch our for those. Vicious little beggars, so they are.
    end of spoilers

Thoughts:

- Probably not Del Mundo's best issue - there's no big double-splash or smart layout tricks this time - but even so it's still achingly beautiful work, as you should expect by now.
    - Elektra feels a bit more...humanized this issue. She actually expresses emotions beyond cold cruelty that feel genuine. It's a bit too late, but well done to Blackman for fixing my main issue with the series previously.
    - The identity of the (still unnamed) Guild leader is a little bit of an eyeroll - it's one of the more clichéd 'surprise!' twists a story like this can have - but the reveal of their plan is much more effective.
    - Monkeys, though. Never liked the little bastards.

Chat away.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Sounds great! So annoying I have to wait until Friday for my issue!

This issue was fun, over the top and just awesome. Monkey assassins! Where was hit monkey? lol

Cant wait to see the epic final showdown next issue. This book has been a great run and I will miss it.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Thanks, Craig. Grad school, ugh.

Good issue, though I did side-eye the guild leader a bit. Even though it's the last issue, really looking forward to #11!

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    Sounds great! So annoying I have to wait until Friday for my issue!
    Don't feel too bad. I always have to wait until Fridays for mine...

Finally got my issue today. Loved it, just as I expected. It was interesting to see Del Mundo use more conventional layouts compared to his usual two page spreads but they were still great. Loved the ninja monkeys, though I would've perhaps preferred an existing character to be revealed as the Assassins Guild boss. Also wondering why Blackman have played down Elektra's own psychic abilities. I know not a lot of writers have used them but she does have some limited telepathic abilities and illusion capabilities which I thought he would want to use if only for some more trippy visuals from Del Mundo.

Just wondering what people think of Bullseye and The Hand taking such a large role in the final arc? I admit I wasn't too thrilled with the same old opponents but the way Blackman and Del Mundo have utilized them has been so inventive that I don't mind.

I was skeptical about the Hand and Bulleyes since that seemed a bit cliche but it's worked out well. I think this is the most formidable we've seen the Hand in ages really. Plus Bullseye has been alright so far too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    I was skeptical about the Hand and Bulleyes since that seemed a bit cliche but it's worked out well. I think this is the most formidable we've seen the Hand in ages really. Plus Bullseye has been alright so far too.
    Definitely. I loved the dragon in the previous issue and the exploration of Bullseye's mind was great. I want this to be the final battle between her and Bullseye but we know it wont be!

The Hand feel less tired at this stage; when was the last time she fought them, in Savage Wolverine? It's been long enough, and they feel like a credible enough threat that this feels exciting imo.

I also don't think Elektra will be putting Bullseye down, but my (totally unreasonable) dream scenario is that Hill and SHIELD enter the fray, and that Hill offers Elektra a position that will atleast afford her more guest appearances in the MU.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    The Hand feel less tired at this stage; when was the last time she fought them, in Savage Wolverine? It's been long enough, and they feel like a credible enough threat that this feels exciting imo.

I also don't think Elektra will be putting Bullseye down, but my (totally unreasonable) dream scenario is that Hill and SHIELD enter the fray, and that Hill offers Elektra a position that will atleast afford her more guest appearances in the MU
    I'd be down for that. Elektra:Assassin of SHIELD!