Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I wasnt particularly bothered by that. I thought it served to better illustrate his point that Frank was lightning in a bottle and that even someone who went through the same thing he did was incapable of doing what he does.
    Thats not how the story turned out though. The story ended with Cole-Alves being Punisher 2.0, perfectly capable of operating on her own. The overall message seemed to be "Military + Dead Family = The Punisher" and the idea of wannabe Punishers was handled much better by Ennis in "Widowmaker."

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I also loved how by shifting focus to Rachel Alves, the reporter and police detectives Frank became much more of an anomoly. Weve seen the monologuing War-journal Frank plenty of times and i found it a nice change of pace to no longer be privvy to his thoughts or motivations and only seeing him from an outsiders perspective. I found it made him much more onimous.
    That was cool at first but theres a reason the monologue is so ubiquitous. If you don't have that insight into The Punisher's head (either through monologue or by dialogue) then the character just becomes a thing that shoots things and if he is just a thing that shoots things then he isn't an interesting character to read about. And while a Gotham Central-style book centered around The Punisher is a cool idea (and those detective moments were my favorite part of Rucka's run), it was undermined by presenting a female clone of the character. It felt like a cheat to take that stance on the character while bringing in a surrogate and developing that character instead. Rucka either should have committed to telling the story from an outsider perspective and left Cole-Alves out of it or he should have gone for the internal perspective to redevelop the 616 version of the character for a new generation.
    Miller was right.

Fantastic Member

Agents of Atlas

Volume 1 (1-6)
    Volume 2 (1-11)
    Dark Reign: New Nation Story
    X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas (1-2)
    Avengers vs. Agents of Atlas (1-4)
    Atlas (1-5)
    Gorilla Man (1-3)
    Uranian (1-3)
    Namora One-Shot

Thats 38 issues. Throw in some 1940's Venus, Yellow Claw, Namora, and Marvel Boy stories and you have the complete Agents of Atlas.

Now Make this Happen. please.

I have to agree with Isabella's Black Lightning and Silver Surfer vol. 1. I also enjoyed Star Hunters, a very short lived DC sci-fi comic by Dave Michelenie. I'd like to have seen the Champions get into a groove and continue. Also, Logan's Run, Machine Man, Richard Dragon, Kung-Fu Fighter, and Karate Kid were pretty good.
    Last edited by day_walker; 02-26-2015 at 06:28 AM.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    - Terminal City: Technically not ended, but still.
    Dean Motter is still producing Mr X at Dark Horse, which is very much in the vein of Terminal City. In fact, Radiant City, Terminal City, and Electropolis are all linked by a monorail, so Motter can his have his characters visit each other anytime he wishes.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Seagles's Alpha Flight

Seagle's Primal Force

PAD's She-Hulk

Jones' Wonder Man

That last one remains a mystery. The book ran 29 issues, but there was no mention in #28 that the next issue would be the last; they just sprung it on the readers in the letter column. Also, if you look at the Bullpen Bulletins pages in any Marvel book from the following months, there are blurbs in the checklists for WM #'s 30-32 (33?), including mentions of Asgard, the Hate Monger, etc. I've tried Googling old interviews with Gerard Jones to see if there's any insight to be shed, but to no avail.

And considering I'm one of only 3 people on Earth who gave a **** about this series, I'm almost ready to accept that fact that I'll never know what happened to those missing scripts...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Dazed and Confused

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Jones' Wonder Man

That last one remains a mystery. The book ran 29 issues, but there was no mention in #28 that the next issue would be the last; they just sprung it on the readers in the letter column. Also, if you look at the Bullpen Bulletins pages in any Marvel book from the following months, there are blurbs in the checklists for WM #'s 30-32 (33?), including mentions of Asgard, the Hate Monger, etc. I've tried Googling old interviews with Gerard Jones to see if there's any insight to be shed, but to no avail.

And considering I'm one of only 3 people on Earth who gave a **** about this series, I'm almost ready to accept that fact that I'll never know what happened to those missing scripts...
    According to Tom Brevoort on his "New Brevoort Formspring" page on Tumblr, those were fake solicitations made to heighten the surprise that they were killing off Wonder Man at the end of Force Works #1, so there were never any missing scripts.

^ ^ ^

Really?? That's the first time I've heard this! I'm actually surprised they would go to such effort for a D-lister...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

All-New Member

Green Lantern: Mosaic

Challengers of the Unknown (90s series by Steven Grant)

Fantastic Member

Danger Unlimited by John Byrne. I got totally got up in the 4 issues published back in the '90's, then nothing. Getting a bit obscure I really liked Giffens's 8 issue run of the Heckler, which ended very abruptly. Getting really obscure I remember the indy comic "Empire Lanes" written, drawn and (I believe) self published by artist Peter Gross from the late '80s. I think this ran 4-6 issues, and I enjoyed them greatly. Anybody else recall any of these?

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Seagles's Alpha Flight

Seagle's Primal Force

PAD's She-Hulk

Jones' Wonder Man

Well, call me Mister Two, then, because I enjoyed the series, too. A lot. I miss Jones' writing. Wonder whatever happened to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Deason View Post
    Green Lantern: Mosaic

Challengers of the Unknown (90s series by Steven Grant)
    Mosaic was a really good title, another nice effort by Gerard Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Well, call me Mister Two, then, because I enjoyed the series, too. A lot. I miss Jones' writing. Wonder whatever happened to him?
    I can't think of anything he's done (at least from the Big 2) beyond Justice League America, which ended in '96.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Anyone here had picked up Burlyman Entertainment's Doc Frankenstein by the Wachowski bros and Steve Skroce? Amazing art and storytelling (and a lot of humour, ah the story of God in issue #6). That is always the first series I am thinking about when it comes to unfinished business (perhaps not totally as Burlyman website still lives and breathes).
    Last edited by vark; 02-21-2015 at 10:07 AM.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

ah! Another vote, here, for GL: Mosaic-- best John Stewart series ever, for me.
    And, now that I'm thinking about it, anyone else remember "Thriller" fondly? (1980s, written by Robert Loren Fleming and drawn by Trevor Von Eeden.)
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    ah! Another vote, here, for GL: Mosaic-- best John Stewart series ever, for me.
    And, now that I'm thinking about it, anyone else remember "Thriller" fondly? (1980s, written by Robert Loren Fleming and drawn by Trevor Von Eeden.)
    The Fleming and Von Eeden issues of Thriller are utterly fantastic. So ahead of their time. It nosedives when they leave the title. The follow-up team had no idea what the book was supposed to be.