All-New Member

Default Recommended marvel comics

Hey everyone !

I'm new here and brought my first ever comic yesterday ! (Civil war the complete edition) and loved it ! So any recommendations on further issues, I particularly interested in hulk, iron man. But want the infinity story lines. So stuck on which way to go !

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

If you want to be pumped for the Avengers Infinity War movies then you should get Infinity Gauntlet. My advice is to read Silver Surfer Rebirth of Thanos first and then the Infinity Gauntlet trade. Or just get the omnibus but that's a bit expensive.

For Iron Man, get Extremis (I guess your a modrrn only reader right?).

For Hulk you should get Planet Hulk (a story where Hulk is banished to outer space, strands on a planet and starts beating everyone up on that planet. It's the best modern Hulk story)

You might want to consider getting Marvel Unlimited which is great for new readers if you don't mind digital.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

I'd advise against the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus, it's overfilled with tie ins that belong in a companion rather than the main omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    I'd advise against the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus, it's overfilled with tie ins that belong in a companion rather than the main omnibus.
    Nah I don't agree. Sure, stuff like Sleepwalker and the Hulk and Quasar could be easily skipped but the Silver Surfer and Dr. Strange issues really add a lot to the story (and they're pretty damm good too). I could do without Cloak and Dagger and the other bad tie ins though.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Nah I don't agree. Sure, stuff like Sleepwalker and the Hulk and Quasar could be easily skipped but the Silver Surfer and Dr. Strange issues really add a lot to the story (and they're pretty damm good too). I could do without Cloak and Dagger and the other bad tie ins though.
    I think the stuff before the main event was brilliant and essential, but all the tie in they put in after it that covered what all the other titles were doing during the main event just felt like it belonged in a companion.

All-New Member

Thanks guys ! Awesome advice ! I've heard of planet hulk as I've seen the animated movie so would love to read it ! What comics lead up to infinity gauntlet ? Like the events for example ? I mean I've flicked through the ocasional comic throughout the years but I've got plans to open my own shop in the future selling collectables, props, comics etc.

All-New Member

Also isn't there a story where hulk invades earth ? Ermm world war hulk ?

Quote Originally Posted by HULK87 View Post
    Thanks guys ! Awesome advice ! I've heard of planet hulk as I've seen the animated movie so would love to read it ! What comics lead up to infinity gauntlet ? Like the events for example ? I mean I've flicked through the ocasional comic throughout the years but I've got plans to open my own shop in the future selling collectables, props, comics etc.
    Do you want the long answer or the simple answer? Ah,hell, I do both

Infinity Gauntlet is written by Jim Starlin and Starlin has written some Thanos stories in the 70s which are mentioned in Infinity Gauntlet. Those stories mainly consist of Captain Marvel (#25-34 and Death of Captain Marvel), Warlock (Strange Tales #178-181 and Warlock #9-15) and Final Threat (Marvel Two-In-One Annual #2 and Avengers Annual #7). Those stories are fun but dated as they're written 15-20 years before Infinity Gauntlet so not for everybody.

The direct prequel to Infinity Gauntlet is Silver Surfer #34-50 and Thanos Quest #1-2.

Though basically everything wirh Thanos or Starlin can be considered a prequel.

Also isn't there a story where hulk invades earth ? Ermm world war hulk ?
    Yep. It's the direct sequel to Planet Hulk.

Superior Foes of Spider-man is what I always say now when people ask me. Dive into everything. Comics are such a great diverse world.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle, Armor Wars, Marvel NOW! Iron Man run
    Hulk: (Can't really give any, not a huge fan of the Hulk)
    Infinity: The only one worth reading in my honest opinion is Infinity Gauntlet. The others are not bad, but they don't hold a candle to the Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

I am currently reading Daredevil by Waid and Fantastic Four by Robinson and enjoying both very much. I also second the Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph & Torment (was rereleased in 2013).....great Strange story and a great Doctor Doom story
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Hey everyone !

I'm new here and brought my first ever comic yesterday ! (Civil war the complete edition) and loved it ! So any recommendations on further issues, I particularly interested in hulk, iron man. But want the infinity story lines. So stuck on which way to go !
    Based on your interests, I would recommend these:

-PAD's Hulk run
    -Hulk: Future Imperfect
    -Planet Hulk
    -World War Hulk
    -Iron Man vs. Dr. Doom
    -Iron Man: Armor Wars

Cosmic books:
    -Thanos #1-2
    -IG
    -Annihilation
    -Annihilation Conquest
    -GOTG
    -Nova
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Iron Man: Anything with Michelinie and Layton on it. There's an Epic Collection called Stark Wars that contains the entire Armor Wars story mentioned above , I also recommend the War Games Epic Collection containing Byrne's entire run including the Dragon Seed saga.

If you're up for spending money get the Busiek/Chen Iron Man omnibus, my personal favourite. Extremis is pretty essential now as the modern origin was a focal point for the ongoing stories even though Extremis itself is pretty redundant these days.

Just find a character that interests you, Google top ten stories or something and buy one. Once you get into this stuff you'll start to piece the history together yourself. People often ask for starting points and explanations but you don't need them. Like anything else, you'll only understand it once you start doing it.