Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Jeff Parker's Exiles. It was a fun book that had clearly set up some interesting sub-plots (many of which are hinted at in the synopses of unmade issues at the back of the tpb) and was just a lot of fun. I guess the problem was that it launched too soon after Claremont's New Exiles and the readership wasn't ready for it.

I'd maybe also say Captain Britain and MI13. I didn't love it as much as some people (I find Cornell to be a tad too sentimental of a writer) but it had good stories and characters and felt distinct in the landscape.

I recently finished reading Jonathan Hickman's short run on The Ultimates - only 12 issues; the last few co-written by Sam Humphries, whose work I personally consider unreadable.

I wish Hickman (and Esad Ribic) could have stayed on that book. I would have preferred more Ultimates, especially after his Avengers run wasn't my cup of tea.

Ellis on Moon knight

lots of love for Ennis and his war comics.

He should stop making these mini's (which are generally really good, the art is just ok IMO) and do his ultimate war comic, about 80-100 issues.

Find a Publisher and 2-3 artists with similar styles, start from the caveman, through the classical period, Fall of Rome, Dark Ages, Vikings, Crusades, Mongols, China/Japan, Age of Piracy, Napoleon, Prussia, Crimea, Colonial Wars, World War 1 and 2, Vietnam/African Wars, Mideast Wars to today.

(sigh)

John Wagner/Alan Grant Batman, would love for T.B. Grover be on the books for a long time.

Unrepentant Magog Fan HaroldAllnut's Avatar

Not sure if this is sacrilege, but I treasure my memories of Kevin Smith's run on Green Arrow. I would have been in 7th grade, I think. I remember reading the preview of the first issue of his revamped Green Arrow in some ragged copy of Wizard Magazine I had lying around and I couldn't wait until it came out. I somehow last track of that pretty brief run and caught up later in trades, but I really dug the work that he did.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I want to live in the alternate universe where there were only 2-3 X-books (Uncanny, New Mutants, and possibly the adjectiveless X-Men), Claremont wrote all of them well into the 90s, and when he finally left, he was replaced by Grant Morrison. Who would then proceed to write it for the next decade or so.

Others:
    Tim Seeley on Witchblade
    Greg Rucka on Wonder Woman
    J.M Dematteis on Spider-Man
    Geoff Johns and/or Jeff Parker on Aquaman
    Grant Morrison on Action Comics

Marvel Team-Up. Particularly the Chris Claremont era. Gosh, that was a good book. No idea why it couldn't be published today.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    John Wagner/Alan Grant Batman, would love for T.B. Grover be on the books for a long time.
    Did they actually use the TB Grover pseudonym for their American work? I thought the cat was out of the bag by then. I vaguely remember their actual names on the covers for their DC work, but I'm not certain on that.

I still laugh at the idea that someone could pick up any Dredd from most of the its first decade and decide that TB Grover is the greatest comic book writer of all time, not realizing it was a tax dodge.

I too agree on Ellis' Moon Knight. His Moon Knight run was one of my favorite runs in all of comics. It was such a shame to see him go. But oh well, Brain Wood also did a good job (Haven't read Cullen Bunn's stuff yet but I haven't heard good things about that).

I recently read Young Superheroes in Love and hated getting to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmit Him View Post
    Jeff Parker's Exiles.

I'd maybe also say Captain Britain and MI13.
    Nailed it. Great selections.

These 2 books getting cancelled were a large part of turning me off from monthlies for a long time.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

A couple of series spring to mind for me. These series were fantastic, and I prefer them to some of their sequel series/ replacements:
    Jeff Parker's Red Hulk -Revitalized the Character and made me a fan of him. Better than the main Hulk title at times.
    Incredible Hercules. -The mythology/ buddy comedy genre worked so well. Hopefully we'll have another Herc/Amadeus book very soon.
    Slott's Mighty Avengers -Classic Avengers stories in a modern setting. A great cast, with Hank Pym at his finest. What more could you ask for?
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line