View Poll Results: What matters more to you?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continuity

28 50.91%
  • Story

27 49.09%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: continuity

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Default continuity

Here's a timely poll. What matters to you more? Continuity or story.

The definition of continuity from Merriam-Webster,

: the quality of something that does not stop or change as time passes : a continuous quality

: something that is the same or similar in two or more things and provides a connection between them

: the arrangement of the parts in a story, movie, etc., in a way that is logical

I don't think I have to post the definition of story

What say you, comic fans?

Note; This subject was most likely polled before, but in light of recent announcements, let's see if we can give it another go.

Don't worry, the poll is anonymous
    Last edited by emac1790; 01-22-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

I'm not sure why you're presenting them as alternative options. Attention to continuity is part of what makes a story a story instead of just a random collection of scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    I'm not sure why you're presenting them as alternative options. Attention to continuity is part of what makes a story a story instead of just a random collection of scenes.
    There is a reason I have them as two separate options. Since the Secret Wars announcement, I've read a lot of posts that seem to say that there are some readers worry more about continuity than what actually happens in the story. For example, let's say someone posts, "I'm going to stop reading Marvel because they are rebooting". If Marvel is rebooting (something I think is not going to happen with this story), are you really going to stop reading Marvel because a story doesn't link up with a book from 1963?

IMO continuity is kind of overrated. DKR and Watchmen are considered the best comics ever made, but they were out of continuity. Should people reject these stories because they are not in continuity?

Added; I see what you're saying. Continuity within a story is a given. I'm speaking on continuity across a fictional universe. I'm see continuity as a tool for creators. But if continuity stops creators from making a good story, I say screw continuity.
    Last edited by emac1790; 01-22-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    Continuity is what makes it a story about the characters.
    If the story has no ties then it not about the character but about the events. And if it just about the events then anyone could be placed in that story.

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    Here's a timely poll. What matters to you more? Continuity or story.

The definition of continuity from Merriam-Webster,

: the quality of something that does not stop or change as time passes : a continuous quality

: something that is the same or similar in two or more things and provides a connection between them

: the arrangement of the parts in a story, movie, etc., in a way that is logical

I don't think I have to post the definition of story

What say you, comic fans?

Note; This subject was most likely polled before, but in light of recent announcements, let's see if we can give it another go.

Don't worry, the poll is anonymous
    I'm not voting in your poll, because since "the arrangement of the parts in a story, movie, etc., in a way that is logical" is essential to a story being any good, there's no conflict between the two.

Now, as to continuity between stories in order to have a consistent fictional universe... this is only important when the creators and publishers announce that it's supposed to be a consistent universe to begin with. If that's not the case, sure, there's no need to have consistency or continuity between two stories featuring alternative versions of the same characters. Nobody expects each cinematic version of Batman, or the comic book and cartoon and movie versions of the Avengers, to line up exactly, on the contrary, really they can't and shouldn't.

However... if you market your stories on the basis of a shared universe, then yes, you have an obligation to keep the stories reasonably consistent as your marketing has promised you would do. Not down to the minutiae, no, but enough so to preserve the fiction of the shared universe. And if you want to do something different with a specific story... just state that it's not part of said shared universe, or even do the story with different characters and setting entirely.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 01-22-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    I'm not voting in your poll, because since "the arrangement of the parts in a story, movie, etc., in a way that is logical" is essential to a story being any good, there's no conflict between the two.
    I'll just re-post this,

Continuity within a story is a given. I'm speaking on continuity across a fictional universe

Of course you don't have to vote. I'm just explaining where I'm coming from.
    When the fire blows

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by emac1790 View Post
    I'll just re-post this,

Continuity within a story is a given. I'm speaking on continuity across a fictional universe

Of course you don't have to vote. I'm just explaining where I'm coming from.
    If you set a story within a universe then you should pay attention to the continuity of that universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you set a story within a universe then you should pay attention to the continuity of that universe.
    Exactly. It's always a choice whether to set a story within a larger set of stories composing a shared fictional universe, or not. If you don't, then of course there's no obligation to adhere to any continuity outside the individual story. If you do, then you need to, because it makes no sense for a story to both be within an established setting, and contradictory to it in any significant way. That is to say, the feature of being in a certain continuity is a part of the story itself (e.g., AvX referring back to the Dark Phoenix Saga), so once that's established, if you then contradict the earlier stories you are referencing, you are violating continuity within the present story itself. You made the earlier story part of this one by referencing it, so now you're stuck with it.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 01-22-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Story. Though of course there is no saying the two can not work together, an I don't think continuity should not be followed at all or anything. But if telling a good story means ignoring some little detail from 20 years ago, I'm fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Story. Though of course there is no saying the two can not work together, an I don't think continuity should not be followed at all or anything. But if telling a good story means ignoring some little detail from 20 years ago, I'm fine with it.
    Basically this is what I'm talking about.
    When the fire blows

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I've said this a few times, but I think when the universe becomes more important than the stories that comprise it, you've got a problem on your hands. Continuity is a tool in any creators' kit, but if your primary goal is building your story around every little expanation for this and that, you're not going to have much of a story. Avengers Forever is brilliant because it was an excellent story that used continuity in its construction, solving some of the problems that had come up through Avengers stories. It helped put the pieces together in the overarching puzzle in a fantastic manner, but it was still entertaining even if you had no idea about any of those pieces or didn't care all that much about the puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Thing is, you're arguing against a strawman position. I haven't seen anybody arguing for quite some time that paying attention to continuity requires that kind of adherence to minutiae. I for one don't need to see a story referencing that Donald Blake used to be almost as much a super-inventor as Reed Richards (except maybe in a funny alternative universe), or things like that. But if your story is going to be explicitly set in the same universe as earlier stories, that means it is in continuity with them, and you really ought to strive to do a halfway decent job of actually making it so within the story. E.g., if you're going to reference the Dark Phoenix Saga, have your story be consistent with it.

BANNED

Continuity. I don't read stories without it.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I've said this a few times, but I think when the universe becomes more important than the stories that comprise it, you've got a problem on your hands. Continuity is a tool in any creators' kit, but if your primary goal is building your story around every little expanation for this and that, you're not going to have much of a story. Avengers Forever is brilliant because it was an excellent story that used continuity in its construction, solving some of the problems that had come up through Avengers stories. It helped put the pieces together in the overarching puzzle in a fantastic manner, but it was still entertaining even if you had no idea about any of those pieces or didn't care all that much about the puzzle.
    I don't think a particular shared universe is ever more important than the story you're trying to tell. Nor, even while maintaining continuity, should many stories at all be about that continuity; it's quite enough just not to contradict it.... though that does include contradictions of omission, like Spider-Man meeting somebody for the first time that he's teamed up with 17 times before.

It's simply my position that IF a particular story doesn't fit in with a particular universe's continuity... then just don't put it in that universe. It can even still use familiar characters (although there are plenty of stories that would probably benefit from using new characters instead, but that's another issue implicating marketing strategy), but don't state that it's the same Captain America or whoever who's appearing in the Marvel Universe. Not like people aren't familiar with the concept of different versions of the same characters by now. But if your story says it happens in 'the Marvel Universe', that means to the reader that it is consistent with other stories within that same setting, and if instead it's inconsistent with them (again, in a significant way, No-Prizes were invented for the minor nitpicks), then it's not just contradicting those other stories, the present story is contradictory with itself.

Exclamation

I think you need a balanced blend of both honestly. Although I do detest most continuity changes, there are times when they are badly needed.