Super Moderator

Default RUMOR: Karl Urban Potentially Up for "Aquaman" Role, Director Candidates Named

An unconfirmed rumor has surfaced naming Karl Urban as potentially playing a role in "Aquaman," along with two frontrunners to direct.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

That would be fun.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Karl Urban is awesome. I'm usually up for anything he appears in. I may not go see Aquaman, but I hope he gets a big role in it and is his usual awesome self.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Now that's some cool news.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Cool except he's too old to play Orm or Aquaman unless he plays Black Manta.

The only way I can see Momoa as Aquaman is if he shaved off his beard and dyed his hair blonde.

That said, this sounds intriguing.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Karl Urban is awesome, i'd actually watch an Aquaman movie if he's playing him.

Momoa … not so much.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    The only way I can see Momoa as Aquaman is if he shaved off his beard and dyed his hair blonde.
    Aquaman sometimes has a beard though
    aquaman_super.jpg4248696-9137996721-Aquap.jpg

And Jason has done blonde streaks before
    jason-short-hair-blonde-streak.jpg

I wonder if Karl Urban will play Ocean Master? He's a little white to play Black Manta (cue people saying "if they can make Deadshot black...")

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Aquaman sometimes has a beard though
    aquaman_super.jpg4248696-9137996721-Aquap.jpg

And Jason has done blonde streaks before
    jason-short-hair-blonde-streak.jpg

I wonder if Karl Urban will play Ocean Master? He's a little white to play Black Manta (cue people saying "if they can make Deadshot black...")
    Apart from the skin colour thing, do you think Black Manta will be Autistic in Aquaman, if he appears? Something I'd recommend, being arch nemesis I believe, for first film and all. And, good mainstream diversity, though would worry about the Autism=murder for some people, or violence etc, and hope that wouldn't hurt things.

Hope he keeps black hair, unless blonde is better is it's all of it. Beard - either way, maybe.

What's the story with Ocean Master?

Quote Originally Posted by VillanousFiend View Post
    Cool except he's too old to play Orm or Aquaman unless he plays Black Manta.
    To be fair, old or not, something I put no stock in, for mostly all part, Jason Momoa's Aquaman, so that's the one role cast, and the title one at that.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    To be fair, old or not, something I put no stock in, for mostly all part, Jason Momoa's Aquaman, so that's the one role cast, and the title one at that.
    Yeah I think as it was announced Jason is Aquaman in both Superman/Batman and in Aquaman. I guess some fans still grasp at straws.

Apart from the skin colour thing, do you think Black Manta will be Autistic in Aquaman, if he appears? Something I'd recommend, being arch nemesis I believe, for first film and all. And, good mainstream diversity, though would worry about the Autism=murder for some people, or violence etc, and hope that wouldn't hurt things.
    I don't know if they'd delve that far into his back story or not. Part of his issue was Aquaman not seeing him and rescuing him so they could present his being Autistic and him wanting revenge as separate. But they may have other plans for him or they could use his being on the Autistic spectrum to make him relateable if they wanted to somewhat redeem him.

What's the story with Ocean Master?
    Aquaman's evil half-brother Orm. Orm is younger than Arthur in the comics while Karl is older than Jason, although he doesn't really look it.
    In the Silver Age, Ocean Master was his fully human brother which could be a way of getting around Karl being older. Just have him jealous his younger brother is heir to the throne of Atlantis by being the child of a royal and Orm's parent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Master
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 01-23-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Yeah I think as it was announced Jason is Aquaman in both Superman/Batman and in Aquaman. I guess some fans still grasp at straws.

I don't know if they'd delve that far into his back story or not. Part of his issue was Aquaman not seeing him and rescuing him so they could present his being Autistic and him wanting revenge as separate. But they may have other plans for him or they could use his being on the Autistic spectrum to make him relateable if they wanted to somewhat redeem him.

Aquaman's evil half-brother Orm. Orm is younger than Arthur in the comics while Karl is older than Jason, although he doesn't really look it.
    In the Silver Age, Ocean Master was his fully human brother which could be a way of getting around Karl being older. Just have him jealous his younger brother is heir to the throne of Atlantis by being the child of a royal and Orm's parent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Master
    I'd still go with Black Manta for first villain, and with a sequel, jump straight in with Ocean Master.

That's a very articulate, intelligent and well thought response on the Autism thing, thanks. Yeah. I wouldn't want the Autism to excuse, or completely explain, what he does, but could be part of it, and extra layer of the character.

Not something they might've expected.

Love Momoa as Aquaman myself, almost more than, say, Johnson as Black Adam, but should make for an epic part of a few films.

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

Karl Urban for Atlan!
    or if they go full New 52 he could play a mean Dead King
    http://grafikarobotnik.tumblr.com/

I survived the 2014 reboot and I didn't even got a lousy t-shirt.