Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    There's no denying that there are African people with a wide range of looks beyond the usual stereotype, but there's also no denying that none of this factored into Storm's actual design. The artists simply took the standard comic book female template and colored her skin slightly darker. Aside from that she's almost indistinguishable from Jean in most of the early X-Men comics.
    You a have point to how early storm most of the time looked like,but that's why i posted this as well.

Iman

When word of the casting of Halle Berry as Storm came out my wife and I were disappointed that Iman wasn't chosen instead. Not only did she have more of the look of the character but she's got that cool accent as well. Well here's my version of how the she might have looked based on the original Dave Cockrum design.
    http://www.mania.com/images/iman-sto...d-6aea3ff23b09
    Last edited by mace11; 01-25-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    Surprised no one has said this, since they're in the same show but Rose Leslie (Ygritte in GoT) would have been a thousand times better than Sophie Turner.

Attachment 16327

It would have been nice for Fox to grow some balls and cast an ethnically African actress as Storm, rather than a mixed-race actress, but alas that's Hollywood for you (and as someone touched upon upthread, Storm has never looked all the African; it's no wonder her hair is white with all the chemicals it must take to straighten it).

Tye Sheridan both looks like a boy scout and has a very punchable face, so spot on there as far as I'm concerned.
    Rose Leslie is roughly ten years older than Sophie Turner. It's clear they wanted to go as young as they could with these characters, considering the setting. All that said, I still prefer Sophie. I don't necessarily think it's a fair comparison, anyway. Ultimately, we're comparing a child actress to a more seasoned one.

I'm pleased with all of the choices, though I need to be sold on Shipp. My only reference is that God-awful Aaliyah movie. I realize it's probably not fair, though. Everyone screws up.

Ultimate Member

Considering that this movie is showing the "birth" of the X-Men, people who keep suggesting actresses who are in their late 20's/early 30's are clearly missing the point. This is the BEGINNING of Storm/Cyclops/Jean, so you want (actually you need) actors who are younger.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF View Post
    Rose Leslie is roughly ten years older than Sophie Turner. It's clear they wanted to go as young as they could with these characters, considering the setting. All that said, I still prefer Sophie. I don't necessarily think it's a fair comparison, anyway. Ultimately, we're comparing a child actress to a more seasoned one.
    Ah you're correct there. Thought Leslie was younger and Turner was older to be honest. Still think Leslie is perfect for the part though.

Good for her..I hope the writers and Singer makes the character more faithful to the source material this time! Storm is confident, bad ass, powerful and has a good heart…that's what I want to see! And of course major power displays!

Can they pull off the roles? Can Tye emote with his eyes covered? Do he and Sophie have ANY on screen chemistry together? I'll be happy if those three questions are answered with a YES.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 01-25-2015 at 02:40 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Shooter View Post
    This is a tricky subject for me because I hate it when people say light skinned black people are not, but I realize there is a problem with the casting in the X-men movies. from Halle to Angel to now Alex Shipp. The x-men producers seem to have a thing about casting dark skinned women, I'm not playing at them being blatantly racist or anything like that but I will say this I believe that there is a belief that lighter skinned black women are more beautiful or look nicer on the big screen.

My own children are mixed, but I see the Beauty in all colors I just wish they saw it as well. I'm not pissed about the casting or anything like that just a little disappointed.
    The issue of race is mostly cultural. In the U.S, being half black makes you 'black' whereas in many cultures being a mix of races is "allowed" (I don't really know how to phrase it). Not to say that culture that see a difference between people of mixed heritage and "pure races" aren't racist, but this whole one-drop rule that seems to be in effect in the U.S is nutty from my European perspective.
    But I digress...the point is I've seen the racism against dark-skinned people (I've worked in advertising, I've been at model castings) and this casting is further proof of that as far as I'm concerned.

I think it was most likely wanting to cast someone who bears at least a passing resemblance to a young Halle Berry, as opposed to an agenda against dark skinned people. After all, Omar Sy was cast as Bishop in the last one and he's pretty dark.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I think it was most likely wanting to cast someone who bears at least a passing resemblance to a young Halle Berry, as opposed to an agenda against dark skinned people. After all, Omar Sy was cast as Bishop in the last one and he's pretty dark.
    Well, people still had Sunspot's skin color to...discuss.

But Sunspot was depicted in the comics as lighter skinned and not black more often than not. At least as far as I remember...

Again, I don't think it's an agenda on the part of FOX to whitewash everyone. But maybe that's just me...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    But Sunspot was depicted in the comics as lighter skinned and not black more often than not. At least as far as I remember...

Again, I don't think it's an agenda on the part of FOX to whitewash everyone. But maybe that's just me...
    Sunspot's skin color has been all over the place.

Right. Which is why I don't think casting a Hispanic actor as opposed to a black one proves a whitewashing agenda. Sunspot has been colored both ways over the years so it kind of depends on what references they used when deciding who to cast for the role.

And since they already had Bishop, a dark skinned black man, in the film that might've caused them to lean towards Hispanic as well. For greater diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Because of this video, I like her now. I hope it'll help you accept her too.

Link: http://instagram.com/p/yQ93r5E-77/
    NOW THOSE COMICS AREN'T IN MINT-CONDITION! GETHER!!!!

Kidding! Hopefully she doesn't get told to ignore the comics by Singer
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/