rsf316

Default I need clarificiation

I will admit, the last time I have read a comic was probably 15 years ago, but I love watching all the super hero movies and television shows that come out. So I watched the trailer for Age of Ultron (looks pretty awesome) and noticed that they are adding in 2 more heroes who are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I wanted to know all about their powers and abilities and all that stuff so I looked them up. I saw that they are twins and that their father is Magneto. This is where I need clarification. If they are the children of Magneto, that means that the Avengers World and the X-Men world are the same (and assuming Spider-Mans). So in the first Avengers when Loki's army came into New York, or in X-Men: Last Stand when they were battling Magneto's army on the island, why didn't they help each other out? Was it like an lolnahfuckyou or do they technically not share the same world and everything is getting all messed up? Again, I'm not deep into comics so I have no clue what's going on so this may be a stupid question.

If you could help clear this up for me that would be pretty awesome, thanks.

Bonus: If anyone feels like going the extra mile and trying to explain to me both how Logan got his metal claws back in the Future part of Days of Future Past and how the Mutant Class Level specifications go in the movies, that would be sweet.

Thanks

AND if Quicksilver is Magneto's son, why is he only like 5-8 years younger then him in Days of Future Past?
    Last edited by rsf316; 01-23-2015 at 03:26 AM.

All-New, All-Different Mighty Roman's Avatar

This isn't a stupid question at all. The legal procedure behind it this is very complicated (and kind of ridiculous). Marvel owns the Avengers, and Fox owns the X-Men. Considering that the companies have a fierce rivalry, they are very keen to show that they don't have a shared universe. Avengers Quicksilver is played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, while X-Men Quicksilver is played by Evan Peters. The 2 Quicksilvers exist in completely different universes. The reason that both Fox and Marvel have their own Quicksilver, is because QS was both an Avenger and an X-Men, meaning that he is owned both by Fox (x-men) and Marvel(the avengers).

Logan could have got his metal claws back at any point between 2013 (The Wolverine) and 2020 (The Days of Future Past future scenes). The reason that Logan has his claws in the 70's scenes, is because he was transported into the body of his younger self (who still had metal claws).

If QS is Magneto's son, why is there a 5 year age difference? The same reason that if Cyclops and Havok are brothers, Havok was somehow in his 20s in 1963. Anyway, considering how much Wolverine changed time, maybe Magneto isn't QS' father anymore.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Reading in Single Issues/Trades:
    Marvel:Hulk (NOW), Ant-Man (NOW), Avengers: Time Runs Out,
    DC:Earth 2, Superman: Earth One, The Flash,
    Titan: Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who: Four Doctors,
    Upcoming:
    Secret Wars: Planet Hulk, The Last Days of Ant-Man, House of M,
    Marvel:Totally Awesome Hulk, Astonishing Ant-Man, Carnage,
    DC:Earth 2: Society,
    Titan:Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor Year 2, Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor,
    Co-Editor of CBR's Age of Marvel Amazing Line

Quote Originally Posted by rsf316 View Post
    I will admit, the last time I have read a comic was probably 15 years ago, but I love watching all the super hero movies and television shows that come out. So I watched the trailer for Age of Ultron (looks pretty awesome) and noticed that they are adding in 2 more heroes who are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I wanted to know all about their powers and abilities and all that stuff so I looked them up. I saw that they are twins and that their father is Magneto. This is where I need clarification. If they are the children of Magneto, that means that the Avengers World and the X-Men world are the same (and assuming Spider-Mans). So in the first Avengers when Loki's army came into New York, or in X-Men: Last Stand when they were battling Magneto's army on the island, why didn't they help each other out? Was it like an lolnahfuckyou or do they technically not share the same world and everything is getting all messed up? Again, I'm not deep into comics so I have no clue what's going on so this may be a stupid question.

If you could help clear this up for me that would be pretty awesome, thanks.

Bonus: If anyone feels like going the extra mile and trying to explain to me both how Logan got his metal claws back in the Future part of Days of Future Past and how the Mutant Class Level specifications go in the movies, that would be sweet.

Thanks

AND if Quicksilver is Magneto's son, why is he only like 5-8 years younger then him in Days of Future Past?
    Long story short - the movies are different than the comics, and the Avengers movies and X-Men movies don't happen in the same universe at all. Therefore, the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Age of Ultron will not be Magneto's kids and won't be called mutants, but will be given some different origin. Neither are the Spider-Man movies in the same universe as either of the other two properties, although there may or may not be a deal in the works to change that in time for one of the upcoming Avengers movies.

The reason for this is simple - before Marvel found that they could actually make a go of doing their own movies through Marvel Studios with Iron Man, they licensed - 'sold' is not technically correct - the rights to do movies about the X-Men and Spider-Man to Fox and Sony respectively. Fantastic Four movie rights are also with Fox. That doesn't mean those studios 'own' the characters - Marvel can continue to do with them what they like in terms of comic books, cartoons, early readers, coloring books, and so on. You hear conflicting things about how the rights are split for things like live-action TV and action figures, depending on whether they're patterned after the comics or movie versions of the characters. But the studios have exclusive rights to do movies with the properties they've licensed for so long as the contract calls for, which depends on whether they actually come out with movies within a certain period of time. With the X-Men rights, as Mighty Roman says, there were a few characters on the edge of things where they can be legitimately be used in movies by either Marvel or Fox, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch being among them because they're better known as Avengers than as X-Men associated characters.

So, most of your questions are resolved by it being two different universes. On the X-Men specific questions,

1) Either Wolverine gets his claws back before the DoFP future, or The Wolverine just isn't in the same timeline in the first place.

2) There were definite hints that Magneto is Quicksilver's dad in the movie, although I guess it's not 100% confirmed. If so, it introduces no more problems with Magneto's age than his backstory already does. Magneto in the movies was at least a teenager by WWII, since he's a teenager when being tormented by Schmidt/Shaw in the camps. Say he's 14 in 1944. That makes him 33 already in 1963 and 43 in 1973 when DoFP, plenty old enough to have fathered a child Quicksilver's age at some point (before First Class in '63, obviously). We just have to accept that Magneto has good genes even aside from the X-gene and looks about 5 years younger than his actual age at this point (Fassbender being 37).

Older Magneto, of course, looks almost 10 years younger than he should, McKellen not having been born until 1939, which would have made him 5 years old in 1944.
    Last edited by vitruvian; 01-23-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Wolverine had bone claws in the '70s because he was in his younger body and hadn't been upgraded by Weapon Plus/Weapon X at that point.

just to pedantically correct a mistake in the second post.
    I surrender to the Contest